Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need i3D VPS in Frankfurt (reseller)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need i3D VPS in Frankfurt (reseller)

i3D don't officially offer VPS services, but I was hoping to find a reseller.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Why specifically i3D?

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2019

https://www.snel.com/cloudvps/ (SmartDC, not cheap though)
    https://www.shineservers.com/vps-hosting.html (SmartDC, still, not cheap)

EDIT: I thought you required VPS in i3D's (SmartDC) Netherlands location

• deankdeank Member, Troll

For its (clean, unsuspecting) IP address, I reckon.

• @CConner said:
    Why specifically i3D?

My ISP's routing is HORRENDOUS, however, I have direct access to ~800 services at DE-CIX Frankfurt campus. But even then, most of them (don't know why) - have bad ping. I can show you an example of my IP scan if you want. For some reason, only 15-20 IPs give me acceptable ping considering the distance, one of those would be i3D, the rest are regional ISPs which obviously won't have server hosting services. I have limited networking knowledge, but from what I can tell, i3D's Frankfurt servers (CIDR: 91.198.152.0/24), give me fantastic ping. Other hosters end up getting routed through a maze of unoptimized IP transit providers giving me twice the ping. I've been able to confirm i3D's legitimacy through ExpressVPN's Rotterdam servers hosted by i3D, it indeed does route directly from their 80.81.194.107 connection to DE-CIX. Now I'd just like a German one to reduce the ping even more since I'm closer to Germany, happy to set up the VPN stuff myself, if I can find a fairly priced VPS that is.

• You don't really need great bandwidth for usenet

• RazzaRazza Member

XbNz said: I've been able to confirm i3D's legitimacy through ExpressVPN's Rotterdam servers hosted by i3D

When you says confirm i3D's legitimacy through ExpressVPN I take you got a expressvpn subscription just use that then.

• @Razza said:

XbNz said: I've been able to confirm i3D's legitimacy through ExpressVPN's Rotterdam servers hosted by i3D

When you says confirm i3D's legitimacy through ExpressVPN I take you got a expressvpn subscription just use that then.

Costs 10 bucks a month and It's in the Netherlands. I'd rather have one in Germany which gives me 7 less ping. Is there an i3D reseller here? I don't see much interaction going on about their services.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2019

XbNz said:

@CConner said:
    Why specifically i3D?

My ISP's routing is HORRENDOUS, however, I have direct access to ~800 services at DE-CIX Frankfurt campus. But even then, most of them (don't know why) - have bad ping. I can show you an example of my IP scan if you want. For some reason, only 15-20 IPs give me acceptable ping considering the distance, one of those would be i3D, the rest are regional ISPs which obviously won't have server hosting services. I have limited networking knowledge, but from what I can tell, i3D's Frankfurt servers (CIDR: 91.198.152.0/24), give me fantastic ping. Other hosters end up getting routed through a maze of unoptimized IP transit providers giving me twice the ping. I've been able to confirm i3D's legitimacy through ExpressVPN's Rotterdam servers hosted by i3D, it indeed does route directly from their 80.81.194.107 connection to DE-CIX. Now I'd just like a German one to reduce the ping even more since I'm closer to Germany, happy to set up the VPN stuff myself, if I can find a fairly priced VPS that is.

Interesting. What does your route to de.lg.afterburst.com, to i3d and perhaps one you know to be bad look like? I wonder if your ISP is only accepting certain routes from DE-CIX.

• @jackb said:

XbNz said:

@CConner said:
    Why specifically i3D?

Interesting. What does your route to de.lg.afterburst.com, to i3d and perhaps one you know to be bad look like? I wonder if your ISP is only accepting certain routes from DE-CIX.

Seems like Afterburst is using CoreBackbone, not directly connected to DE-CIX. Being routed through a mess, eventually reaches 5.56.18.1, 80.255.14.81, and 80.255.15.102 with 140 ms... I can directly ping 80.81.195.147 and 80.81.192.187, which are 300GE ports from CoreBackbone at DE-CIX, and it's a direct route. But as soon as it leaves 80.81.x.x (DE-CIX IPs), it gets routed incorrectly. I have no hope in my ISP, no way they will fix this, so I have to do it myself. Also for some reason, only a select few IPs at DE-CIX give me optimal ping. Have a look at the video.

https://streamable.com/5ebi8
    http://i66.tinypic.com/2utlrh1.png
    http://i66.tinypic.com/2yn58hz.png

edited April 2019

XbNz said:
    I have no hope in my ISP, no way they will fix this, so I have to do it myself. Also for some reason, only a select few IPs at DE-CIX give me optimal ping. Have a look at the video.

Looks like your ISP is indeed a mess. I'd change ISP if I were you -- presumably there are alternatives in your area?

• @jackb said:

XbNz said:
    I have no hope in my ISP, no way they will fix this, so I have to do it myself. Also for some reason, only a select few IPs at DE-CIX give me optimal ping. Have a look at the video.

Looks like your ISP is indeed a mess. I'd change ISP if I were you -- presumably there are alternatives in your area?

Only 2 FTTH ISPs, the one I'm using is the "better" one. I can't really blame the ISPs though, they all lease ports from the T1 backbone company, monopoly hurts consumers. I'm happy with the 300/300 speed and 99.96% uptime SLA, but the routing is bad.

• spectraipspectraip Member, Patron Provider

XbNz said:

@CConner said:
    Why specifically i3D?

I can recommend you Freaze Hosting for affordable and reliable VPS hosting in the i3d network. They are not located in Frankfurt, but have several racks in SmartDC Rotterdam at the i3d network.

Thanked by 1___XbNz___
  • RazzaRazza Member
    edited April 2019

If you're just using it for a vpn a nated MiniVPS128 €3.50/yr from Inception Hosting https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?gid=13 the NL location is hosted at i3d SmartDC will probably be the cheapest option your going to be able to find and hosted at i3d.

• Thanks for all the Amsterdam suggestions guys. But as you can see unfortunately the ping increases by an obscene amount which is why I wanted Frankfurt in the first place.

130ms is not bad at all though.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited April 2019

@deank said:

yeah but he would need additonal 55-60ms for the way back, so 180-190ms compared to 75-80ms if he'd came out directly there...

XbNz what other frankfurt providers did you check already, despite looking at the decix stuff? there are plenty, so I'd imagine, there could be alternatives - just ping/trace them directly...

Even 200ms is acceptable in my view. Not ideal but acceptable.

Only when ping reaches 400ms, I would start to worry.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited April 2019

No way its 50ms from DE-CIX to Smartdc

Here a mtr from Aruba cloud germany it goes via DE-CIX

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Razza said:
    No way its 50ms from de-cix to smartdc

Here a mtr from Aruba cloud germany it goes via de-cix

I totally agree on this, it's just was his screenshot above suggest for the connection of the both hops there.

hence, I would not bother looking at pings/traces to routers or ports but ideally use some looking glasses. aruba, leaseweb, combahton... as said there are tons of poviders in FRA to get a VM ;-)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Falzo said:

@Razza said:
    No way its 50ms from de-cix to smartdc

Here a mtr from Aruba cloud germany it goes via de-cix

I totally agree on this, it's just was his screenshot above suggest for the connection of the both hops there.

hence, I would not bother looking at pings/traces to routers or ports but ideally use some looking glasses. aruba, leaseweb, combahton... as said there are tons of poviders in FRA to get a VM ;-)

Unless the provider has a direct connection to DE-CIX, it will route through IP transit, and that's where the problems begin. I've looked at the BGP table for i3D Frankfurt, and it seems to be a direct path, which suits me perfectly.

Leaseweb DE-CIX results:

Pinging 80.81.193.246 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 80.81.193.246: bytes=32 time=163ms TTL=246
    Reply from 80.81.193.246: bytes=32 time=169ms TTL=246
    Reply from 80.81.193.246: bytes=32 time=168ms TTL=246
    Reply from 80.81.193.246: bytes=32 time=169ms TTL=246

Aruba is not peered with DE-CIX directly and Combahton is only peered with an Interxion private facility with I do not have access to directly, ends up just going through IP transit.

@Falzo said:

@deank said:

yeah but he would need additonal 55-60ms for the way back, so 180-190ms compared to 75-80ms if he'd came out directly there...

XbNz what other frankfurt providers did you check already, despite looking at the decix stuff? there are plenty, so I'd imagine, there could be alternatives - just ping/trace them directly...

If you look at the streamable video I linked above, you can see that I only have 75-80 ping to around 20 IPs at DE-CIX, the rest are above 100 ms, so I really do not have many options sadly.

I've spent hours trying different providers' looking glasses, the only one which gives me the best ping is i3D, does that mean they're amazing? No, it just means that i3D happens to be one of the select few that gives me good ping. I'm so confused, these 80.81.x.x routers are all located in the same IX campus, why is there such a difference between latency? More importantly, why are i3D reseller so hard to find?

edited April 2019

XbNz said:
    Unless the provider has a direct connection to DE-CIX, it will route through IP transit, and that's where the problems begin. I've looked at the BGP table for i3D Frankfurt, and it seems to be a direct path, which suits me perfectly.

This isn't the case unfortunately. You had bad routes to us - Core-Backbone (who are the largest directly connected network in DE-CIX) is our upstream in Germany. We aren't using them as a remote peering to DE-CIX - we are a direct Core-Backbone customer and the routes to us should be the same as the routes to them.

At a guess I'd say your ISP is being very (overly) selective in what prefixes it is accepting from DE-CIX, but from the information available it's impossible to tell what is going on because your traceroute is RFC1918 addresses. Even if this was the case though, performance over transit vs DE-CIX shouldn't have been too bad. There must be something else going on in your ISP's network.

Presumably the best people to understand the issue is your ISP, but I suppose by the time you're looking to use a VPN to get around this they have been unresponsive or unhelpful?

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited April 2019

XbNz said: why are i3D reseller so hard to find?

Rotterdam one are easy to find, it mainly down to Frankfurt is not their main location sure they might have server there but their main location is Smartdc.

Most likely the Frankfurt location is more costly too.

• @jackb said:

XbNz said:

This isn't the case unfortunately. You had bad routes to us - Core-Backbone (who are the largest directly connected network in DE-CIX) is our upstream in Germany. We aren't using them as a remote peering to DE-CIX - we are a direct Core-Backbone customer.

At a guess I'd say your ISP is being very selective in what prefixes it is accepting from DE-CIX, but from the information available it's impossible to tell what is going on because your traceroute is RFC1918 addresses.

Presumably the best people to understand the issue is your ISP, but I suppose by the time you're looking to use a VPN to get around this they have been unresponsive or unhelpful?

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.3.1
    2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.asus.com [192.168.50.1]
    3 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.254.254
    4 4 ms 3 ms 3 ms 10.21.251.110
    5 14 ms 9 ms 20 ms 10.22.22.29
    6 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms 10.21.22.101
    7 9 ms 5 ms 5 ms 10.202.4.168
    8 165 ms 159 ms 152 ms ae3-1.fra20.core-backbone.com [80.81.192.187]

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.3.1
    2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.asus.com [192.168.50.1]
    3 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.254.254
    4 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 10.21.251.110
    5 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 10.22.22.29
    6 4 ms 3 ms 3 ms 10.21.22.101
    7 6 ms 5 ms 5 ms 10.202.4.168
    8 169 ms 190 ms 161 ms ae10-1.fra30.core-backbone.com [80.81.195.147]

the 10.x.x.x IPs are all connections from my ISP to the national tier 1 backbone provider, they have complete monopoly over all ISPs.

Are you saying that the traceroute is lying? Because in the traceroutes above, the is clearly a direct connection, but why is it so much higher than i3D's? They're all in the same city. Obviously I'm not blaming Core-backbone, they have two 300GE ports at the biggest exchange in the world I'm sure they know what they're doing.

I figured as much, when I went through the DE-CIX looking glass and searched for my prefix, the little "Best route" logo was turned off, one can infer that not a good thing - I guess. Also, the BGP summary was not showing a direct connection from DE-CIX to my prefix. I'm not sure if this is physically possible, but it feels like my outgoing packets are routed directly from DE-CIX and my incoming packets go through some other route. I don't know, it's dumb, it's exhausting me, I've become a part-time network engineer just to figure out wtf is happening.

This is a very complex problem and you seem to know a lot more about networks than I do, maybe we can talk in PMs and try to identify the issue, so at least I can go to my ISP with the exact reason for this, then they might be able to get in contact with backbone and have them fix it.

• hzrhzr Member

XbNz said: Because in the traceroutes above, the is clearly a direct connection

Traceroutes might not show all. It is possible to hide multiple hops..

Thanked by 1___XbNz___
    edited April 2019

XbNz said:
    the 10.x.x.x IPs are all connections from my ISP to the national tier 1 backbone provider, they have complete monopoly over all ISPs.

Are you saying that the traceroute is lying?

As noted by @hzr traceroutes only show some hops. But when the ISP has them as rfc1918 addresses you lose some information on what is going where even when there is a hop displayed.

Also, the BGP summary was not showing a direct connection from DE-CIX to my prefix. I'm not sure if this is physically possible, but it feels like my outgoing packets are routed directly from DE-CIX and my incoming packets go through some other route. I don't know, it's dumb, it's exhausting me, I've become a part-time network engineer just to figure out wtf is happening.

This is possible and depending on what routes your ISP has available could be an explanation. I certainly think this could be plausible - although it should usually be fine, if your ISP doesn't have good transit routes I suppose it could cause problems. You can confirm this by doing a traceroute from an impacted looking glass to your IP address.

• hzrhzr Member

Is this DTAG?

@hzr said:
    Is this DTAG?

Don't think so -- Core-Backbone also has DTAG so should be zero issues from DTAG to us.

• @hzr said:
    Is this DTAG?

No.

@jackb said:
    This is possible and depending on what routes your ISP has available could be an explanation. I certainly think this could be plausible - although it should usually be fine, if your ISP doesn't have good transit routes I suppose it could cause problems. You can confirm this by doing a traceroute from an impacted looking glass to your IP address.

Some LGs like Hetzner go through Orange, and they end up with good ping, this is to be expected because I get a nice RTT to Orange's port at DE-CIX

But this isn't reliable data, I woke up this morning and Orange's 80.81.x.x IP went from 90 ms to 75ms. First I'm going to have to sort out the discrepancy, because the only IP that's been stable for the past couple months has been i3D's IP, don't know why.

If any of you guys have a direct connection to DE-CIX I'd love it if you can do an IP scan of 80.81.192.0 - 80.81.195.255, I want to see if it's just me who's getting these varying delays.