Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LIMITED OFFER ! 1 ipv4-10tb traffic for less 0.84 eur/mo located in Romania port speed 1gbps VPS - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LIMITED OFFER ! 1 ipv4-10tb traffic for less 0.84 eur/mo located in Romania port speed 1gbps VPS

Comments

• cociucociu Member

nullnothere said: 've got Debian 9 setup on one of my OVZ6 (2.6.32) VPSs and it works fine - granted it is a minimal setup but I pretty much don't use (or rather get rid of) systemd - so I don't really anticipate difficulties with Debian 9 for my typical usage pattern.

Granted there are some instances where I do need systemd (Proxmox are you reading?) and I've not yet invested the time in getting rid of it as yet (in Proxmox's case it's an indirect dependency it seems but needs more time and finessing so I've given up for now).

Any reason you prefer Devuan instead?

if you are opened to test and create a template please contact me in skype , username : Netsilvania , i will give you a free acces to a vps , also i will crecreate it as many you need. We have try but never worked.

Thanked by 2nullnothere atErik
  • LeonnLeonn Member

@cociu we want KVM VPS offer ~

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@nullnothere said:

@angstrom said: Although this is a bit off-topic, it seems to me that Devuan ASCII would/should be a better choice for OVZ6 than Debian 9, but unfortunately, there are no official Devuan templates for OVZ6.

I've got Debian 9 setup on one of my OVZ6 (2.6.32) VPSs and it works fine - granted it is a minimal setup but I pretty much don't use (or rather get rid of) systemd - so I don't really anticipate difficulties with Debian 9 for my typical usage pattern.

Granted there are some instances where I do need systemd (Proxmox are you reading?) and I've not yet invested the time in getting rid of it as yet (in Proxmox's case it's an indirect dependency it seems but needs more time and finessing so I've given up for now).

Any reason you prefer Devuan instead?

It's more a guess on my part: since Devuan is Debian without systemd, any issues concerning systemd and OVZ6 wouldn't/shouldn't arise. (This said, perhaps there are other issues that do arise for Devuan ASCII + OVZ6.)

Back to Debian: OVZ6 templates for Debian 9 do exist, for example, LiteServer offer one, but I suspect that their template is in-house (i.e., they made it).

• AndrewsAndrews Member
    edited April 2019

Step by step instruction how to convert cociu OpenVZ 6 machine from this promo to Debian 9.8:

1) select Debian 8 template
    2) run "apt update"
    3) if it fails, repair /etc/apt/sources.list (it is broken in template) and repeat. it should contain only two lines:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.debian.org jessie/updates main contrib non-free

4) run "apt upgrade"
    5) edit /etc/apt/sources.list and replace "jessie" with "stretch"
    6) run "apt update"
    7) run "apt upgrade" and "apt dist-upgrade" (there will be question about rsyslog configuration, answer N)
    8) my result:

I hope it will be useful

• @cociu said: if you are opened to test and create a template please contact me in skype , username : Netsilvania , i will give you a free acces to a vps , also i will crecreate it as many you need. We have try but never worked.

I will be more than happy to help out considering that there's a relatively large community that will benefit (even if it will only work without systemd).

I will reach out to you and help out in whatever way I can - please bear with me for a few days though till the weekend is over. Thank you for the willingness to try.

Thanked by 1atErik

@Andrews said: Step by step instruction how to convert OpenVZ 6 machine from this promo to Debian 9.8:

So you've tested this on @cociu's OVZ6? Rebooting also works? :smile:

Just noticed that in the contrib/ directory at openvz.org , there are two Debian 9.0 templates (minimal and normal), as well as two Devuan 1.0 templates (unfortunately, no Devuan 2.0 templates):

https://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/contrib/

It's another question whether these work on @cociu's OVZ6.

• @angstrom yes, rebooting works (from ssh terminal and web control panel) :)

Thanked by 1atErik
  • cociucociu Member

Andrews said: @angstrom yes, rebooting works (from ssh terminal and web control panel

try to reinstall please and let me know if is work if is possible. Normaly your vm will block in reinstall , but i am curious. If is block i will make a exception and recreate your vm.

• AndrewsAndrews Member
    edited April 2019

@cociu Actually, I made this procedure twice, as after first run, I accidentally refreshed browser tab with web control panel on reinstall page, and VPS was reinstalled.

I can test it one more time, but not on my VPS, as I already made some configuration on it, and don't want to waste that work. If you could provide me test VPS I will do it. I will send you PM.

• The upgrade suggestions for Debian 8 to 9 may only work if kernelcare or another compatible service is installed as who knows whatever version of 2.6.32 is running on these nodes.

A much more realistic means of upgrade is to install 7, then cross migrate to Devuan.

@Letzien said: A much more realistic means of upgrade is to install 7, then cross migrate to Devuan.

Not a bad idea, by the way. :smile:

• ofitofit Member

@Andrews said:
    Step by step instruction how to convert cociu OpenVZ 6 machine from this promo to Debian 9.8:

1) select Debian 8 template
    2) run "apt update"
    3) if it fails, repair /etc/apt/sources.list (it is broken in template) and repeat. it should contain only two lines:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.debian.org jessie/updates main contrib non-free

4) run "apt upgrade"
    5) edit /etc/apt/sources.list and replace "jessie" with "stretch"
    6) run "apt update"
    7) run "apt upgrade" and "apt dist-upgrade" (there will be question about rsyslog configuration, answer N)
    8) my result:

I hope it will be useful

I did upgrade from debian 7 to debian 8 than to debian 9 and ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 on "OpenVZ 2core 2 gb ram 5.97/3 monts" plan 1,5 year ago. And i did not have any problem with use or reinstall.

• So the next challenge is yesterday's Ubuntu 19.04 ;)

• cociucociu Member

Andrews said: So the next challenge is yesterday's Ubuntu 19.04

i just send you a message. Thanks for the help.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • cociucociu Member

+400 gone yet. Thanks all

• edited April 2019

Looks like great value. Can the hdd dedi have an extra 1TB hdd added for an extra fee?

• @YellowHummingbird said:
    Looks like great value. Can the hdd dedi have an extra 1TB hdd added for an extra fee?

If you have old HDD you can ship him in Romania and he will install for free in your server. I bought one from eBay and set his address as destination and cociu installed it in my server for no additional cost.

Thanked by 1YellowHummingbird
  • @ps20090 said:

@YellowHummingbird said:

If you have old HDD you can ship him in Romania and he will install for free in your server. I bought one from eBay and set his address as destination and cociu installed it in my server for no additional cost.

Oh wow, that's great. Do you mind me asking how you've found your dedi with him?

• cociucociu Member

ps20090 said: If you have old HDD you can ship him in Romania and he will install for free in your server. I bought one from eBay and set his address as destination and cociu installed it in my server for no additional cost.

this is true , if any user can mount aditional hdd and is shipping to us we install this for free,

also aditional 1tb hdd is cost 5 eur/mo if you wat to not spend in a hdd. But for long term is better to buy your own hdd.

Thanked by 1YellowHummingbird
  • plumnplumn Member

looks not bad , but don't want play with ovz now

• ckrckr Member

This offer is not bad, but only ovz and one type dedi server, hope there are other types of offers.

• cociucociu Member

ckr said: hope there are other types of offers

what is your needs?

• Ticket #580233
    I have waited for few days,but still no reply...

• SreeSree Member
    edited April 2019

@hoodhmy said:
    Ticket #580233
    I have waited for few days,but still no reply...

Same here, 72hrs passed and still not able to SSH to my newly created VPS.
    Ticket:- 977995
    @cociu

• cociucociu Member

Sree said: Same here, 72hrs passed and still not able to SSH to my newly created VPS.

@cociu

This is not our tiketing system. If yo have opened the tiket in weekend you must to understand we are less people working , if you have push in the tiket or multiple tikets your answer will go down in the list and the answer will delay more.

• @Cociu how many more VPS left? I bought 1 of the 12$/year but thinking of getting another one for monitoring

• cociucociu Member
    edited April 2019

ps20090 said: @Cociu how many more VPS left? I bought 1 of the 12$/year but thinking of getting another one for monitoring

less than 300, but i am take a look to our ipv4 reserve and maybe i will put +1000 in stoc but not sure yet.

Thanked by 2ps20090 wedz0ff
  • SreeSree Member

@cociu said:

Sree said: Same here, 72hrs passed and still not able to SSH to my newly created VPS.

@cociu

This is not our tiketing system. If yo have opened the tiket in weekend you must to understand we are less people working , if you have push in the tiket or multiple tikets your answer will go down in the list and the answer will delay more.

thanks fixed

• please check Ticket #580233
    @cociu