Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need SMTP that woks
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need SMTP that woks

For a community forum I need smtp, I used amazon SES shit, Spend two days and not working , Too complicated,,, I used Mandrill it was easy to make it work but it is slow when sending emails and that Reputation shit is another thing I hate. For a huge community forum with a lot of posts, notifications etc what SMTP service do you guys recommend?

Comments

• awsonawson Member
    edited October 2013

Amazon SES, but if it's really "too complicated", then try Mailgun. First 10k/mo are free.

• Thanks the problem is that I am not sure if I can trust small companies with my data. Mailgun seems to me a small company ofcourse comparing with amazon

• awsonawson Member
    edited October 2013

@asil said:
    Thanks the problem is that I am not sure if I can trust small companies with my data. Mailgun seems to me a small company ofcourse comparing with amazon

Mailgun is run by Rackspace. They're hardly small.

Stripe, GitHub and Heroku all use them.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

if you do give mandrill a chance it really does work well and your reputation and sending limit will increase quite fast.

• IncrehostIncrehost Member
    edited October 2013

@asil said:
    Thanks the problem is that I am not sure if I can trust small companies with my data.

It's sad, but sometimes small companies take customer data a lot more seriously,
    than really big companies.

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

@Increhost said:

I agree

• DylanDylan Member
    edited October 2013

There are a million transactional email services out there, but all of them are ultimately pretty similar. If you don't like Amazon SES, Mandrill, or MailGun I kind of doubt you'll like any others.

That said, if you care about size SendGrid is probably the biggest transactional email provider -- they're used by Pinterest, Foursquare, Pandora, Spotify, etc.

http://sendgrid.com/

• Mandrill is OK too

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Mailgun is definitely a reliable choice for high deliverability.

• +1 for Mandrill, the reputation is increasing pretty fast and you can actually see the email content you sent.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

We use mandrill for the VPS business.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Get a VPS with a /29 or a single ip. Set up prt records etc and don't spam.

I do this with a 99% delivery rate.

• Even when you run your own mail server, you still have to build your "reputation". Some spam filter providers actually keep track of the number of e-mails sent from a server in aggregate, so a new IP suddenly used to send a large amount of e-mails will be caught by these spam filters, and your message will either be blocked, quarantined, sent to spam folder, or marked as spam.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yes, that is what I saw in quite a few cases lately, especially from microsoft, they misleadingly say the IP is on a blocklist when mxtoolbox shows only the usual spamcannibal idiots nobody uses or nobody at all. People get back to us to remove the IP but that is not the case, it is simply that Microsoft blocks new sending IPs by default.