Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SMARTHOST ⚡ Ultra-Fast NVME SSD KVM VPS ⚡ Only $2.95/Month! ⚡ NVME!! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SMARTHOST ⚡ Ultra-Fast NVME SSD KVM VPS ⚡ Only $2.95/Month! ⚡ NVME!!

13»

Comments

• miumiu Member
    edited April 2019

@SmartHost said:
    Yes, we have alot of folks waiting for these in the EU market.

London UK is being installed as I type this, so will be available by Monday at latest. However, we have limited IP availability there for a bit yet, so may limit order quantity until our new RIPE allocation is received in a week or so.

In Amsterdam NL we are waiting on rack space to be provisioned currently. Our equipment arrived there today, and we have IP space allocated, but still waiting on rack space. Hopefully next week some time we are up and running there.

thanks for good news
    so i'm looking fwd & waiting for fast NVMe in NL AMS (is nearest to my location)
    cheers

• I just wanted to add - I also got a VM in the new Boston location, and as expected - its working flawlessly. Thanks!

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

Yes, Boston MA is now available for this NVME SSD KVM service.
    Next up will be UK and NL...soon.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@SmartHost: Do you allow custom (publicly available) ISOs?

@angstrom said:
    @SmartHost: Do you allow custom (publicly available) ISOs?

As long as not excessive requests of such, not a problem.
    Just put in a ticket after ordering, and we'll hook you up with that promptly.

• @SmartHost

Any way to have storage vps available in Boston? Traditional hdd ok... thnx

@plumberg said:
    @SmartHost

How much space do you require?

• @SmartHost said:

@plumberg said:
    @SmartHost

How much space do you require?

Let's say 1tb or more? Or whatever best offer. Not much bandwidth needed. 1gbps preferred. I live near Boston, so location is perfect.

Let's say 1tb or more? Or whatever best offer. Not much bandwidth needed. 1gbps preferred. I live near Boston, so location is perfect.

Not going to be feasible for us currently at a decent price point.
    We're not really set up for that level of storage capacity at typical LET pricing.
    We might be doing some new storage products, or something else along those lines, in the near future though.

Low-end Dedicated with decent storage we might be able to do there...but your looking at
    $40-$50/month though.

• Just want to thank Shawn for his great and super fast support and how he make things possible. I can confirm all posted speed tests and recommend smarthost.net to everyone who likes great server boxes. :+1:

• @SmartHost said:

Not going to be feasible for us currently at a decent price point.
    We're not really set up for that level of storage capacity at typical LET pricing.
    We might be doing some new storage products, or something else along those lines, in the near future though.

Low-end Dedicated with decent storage we might be able to do there...but your looking at
    $40-$50/month though.

Ahh, I see. No worries, I haven't seen a Boston based service in a long time and got a little excited. Will keep an eye though on your offerings periodically.

Thnx.

UPDATE:
    Amsterdam Netherlands is now available.
    UK coming shortly, just waiting for IP block to get announced.

• ckrckr Member

Sounds good, waiting UK's server.

• sinsin Member

@SmartHost You were the owner of Burst.net? Will definitely give you a shot then :). Do the KVM VPSes in your VA location come with a /64 IPv6?

edited May 2019

@sin said:
    Do the KVM VPSes in your VA location come with a /64 IPv6?

We are now configured to add just a single IPv6 to each VPS by default (had to change to that due to some config issues with new pool service line coming out). We can add more, or a /64, upon request...not a problem.

Our VA locations does support IPv6.

Thanked by 2sin atErik
  • sinsin Member

So normally I don't purchase VPSes from providers I don't know/haven't heard of on here but I decided to pickup a small VPS from Smarthost.net because the owner ran Burst.net back in the day and has plenty of years of experience, that and they had a Psychz Virginia location and since that's my home state I couldn't resist :).

I purchased a small test VPS (KVM) in Smarthost's Virginia location and so far I'm really impressed with the performance. Their pricing is good, it's not to cheap and not to pricey either and you can customize the specs to your heart's content before purchasing which is great (they seem to give a generous discount if you pay annually). They use SolusVM and they have plenty of ISOs available to install. Right after checking out I received the VPS login details instantly, it does come with an IPv6 address (although no mention of IPv6 gateway or netmask in SolusVM so I'll have to hit up support for that or a /64 later on). The IP I received was clean and on no blacklists which is nice. The network speeds are really good along with the cpu and disk speed being really great too!

I'm really happy with my Smarthost.net KVM VPS so far and I plan on monitoring the uptime and performance for a bit and if everything stays good then I will certainly be purchasing a bigger plan and more VPSes from Smarthost :). I hope to see more of them on lowendtalk.com!

I've included some quick cpu, network and disk test results:

Geekbench4: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13215627

Benchmark started on Tue May 21 09:11:12 EDT 2019
    Full benchmark log: /home/blahblahblah/bench.log

System Info
    -----------
    Processor   : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    CPU Cores   : 1
    Frequency   : 2599.998 MHz
    Memory      : 987 MB
    Swap        :  MB
    Uptime      : 23 min,

OS      : Debian GNU/Linux 9
    Arch        : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel      : 4.19.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
    Hostname    : blahblahblahblah

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is im.sad.game.of.thrones.ended

Location        Provider    Speed
    CDN         Cachefly    110MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US     Coloat      67.7MB/s 
    Dallas, TX, US      Softlayer   44.8MB/s 
    Seattle, WA, US     Softlayer   24.1MB/s 
    San Jose, CA, US    Softlayer   27.2MB/s 
    Washington, DC, US  Softlayer   92.1MB/s 

Tokyo, Japan        Linode      12.5MB/s 
    Singapore       Softlayer   7.29MB/s 

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net     6.32MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb    85.4MB/s 

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 919 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 1.0 GB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 983 MB/s
    Average I/O : 634.333 MB/s

Disk stuff:

sin@blahblahblahblah:~$ sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/vda1

/dev/vda1:
     Timing cached reads:   18072 MB in  1.99 seconds = 9082.27 MB/sec
     Timing buffered disk reads: 1232 MB in  3.01 seconds = 409.77 MB/sec

sin@blahblahblahblah:~$ sudo ioping -RL /dev/vda1

--- /dev/vda1 (block device 10.00 GiB) ioping statistics ---
    7.18 k requests completed in 2.97 s, 1.75 GiB read, 2.42 k iops, 604.7 MiB/s
    generated 7.18 k requests in 3.00 s, 1.75 GiB, 2.39 k iops, 598.3 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 245.4 us / 413.5 us / 95.2 ms / 1.49 ms

sin@blahblahblahblah:~$ sudo ioping -R /dev/vda1

--- /dev/vda1 (block device 10.00 GiB) ioping statistics ---
    17.3 k requests completed in 2.94 s, 67.8 MiB read, 5.91 k iops, 23.1 MiB/s
    generated 17.3 k requests in 3.00 s, 67.8 MiB, 5.78 k iops, 22.6 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 97.9 us / 169.3 us / 4.01 ms / 102.2 us

sin@blahblahblahblah:~$ ioping . -c 10
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/vda1): request=1 time=2.48 ms (warmup)
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/vda1): request=2 time=265.2 us
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/vda1): request=3 time=286.7 us
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/vda1): request=4 time=302.7 us
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/vda1): request=5 time=379.1 us
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/vda1): request=6 time=428.5 us
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/vda1): request=7 time=357.6 us
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/vda1): request=8 time=318.5 us
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/vda1): request=9 time=299.0 us
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/vda1): request=10 time=301.7 us

--- . (ext4 /dev/vda1) ioping statistics ---
    9 requests completed in 2.94 ms, 36 KiB read, 3.06 k iops, 12.0 MiB/s
    generated 10 requests in 9.00 s, 40 KiB, 1 iops, 4.44 KiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 265.2 us / 326.6 us / 428.5 us / 48.9 us

• atErikatErik Member
    edited May 2019

Advertising/Saying here is one thing, but acting/doing is another.

We asked if you can assign IPv6 /64 SUBNET for a KVM-VPS, We asked if you can Delegate Reverse-Zone of that assigned IPv6 SUBNET,
    SmartHost replied "requirements/needs are too high for the price of the service" !! !!

Ticket # 827456.
    We even increased RAM from 1GB to 2GB, and then sent you request.

If you(VPS-Provider) assign one IPv4-"ADDRESS" or one IPv6-"ADDRESS" to your client, then you must have to setup PTR/RDNS (Reverse-DNS) dns-record for that IPv4/IPv6-address, right ?

Similarly, you have to setup/Delegate REVERSE-ZONE for the assigned IPv6-"SUBNET",
    or setup/Delegate the REVERSE-ZONE for the assigned IPv4-"SUBNET".

For SUB-delegating REVERSE-ZONE, you add 1 or 2 lines (NS,CNAME,etc) in your(VPS-Provider/ISP/USP) DNS-NameServer and point to client's/customer's nameserver,
    which is similar to setting-up REVERSE-DNS, you add 1 line (PTR,etc) in your(VPS-Provider/ISP/USP) DNS-NameServer and point to client's/customer's host.domain.

How can it be too much too ask ?!
    are you really providing VPS service ?

I'm sorry, but we do not need to accept business from every client. In your case we were not comfortable accepting your requests. We do not need to explain why we made that decision, we have our reasons, and the fact that you ran to LET to complain just confirms we made the right one.

And for the record, yes we do support single IPv6 and /64 IPv6 blocks at most of our locations.

• atErikatErik Member
    edited May 2019

You closed the ticket ! for a simple VPS setup ! i/we did not close the ticket ! so i came here & alerted others . its your fault & you lack abilities, skills in many areas , LEARN how to handle customer & how to nicely+smartly reply to customers.

@SmartHost said:
    I'm sorry, but we do not need to accept business from every client. In your case we were not comfortable accepting your requests. We do not need to explain why we made that decision, we have our reasons, and the fact that you ran to LET to complain just confirms we made the right one.

And for the record, yes we do support single IPv6 and /64 IPv6 blocks at most of our locations.

you should not do business based on how you "felt uncomfortable" from a potential customer's requests !

you provide professional services in a professional manner.

like i said, you lack abilities/skills in many many areas.

@atErik said: Advertising/Saying here is one thing, but acting/doing is another.

If @SmartHost replied to your thread, saying that they could do what you wanted, then you would have a point.

If you simply approached them, asking for what you wanted, and they said no, then you don't have a point.

• From my experience Shawn at @SmartHost has been nothing but nice and accommodating. If he refused to provide you with service - there probably is a good enough reason why.

• sinsin Member

Just thought I would add that so far I am very happy with my @SmartHost VPS. I initially just bought the $2.95/month plan in Virginia to test them out but now I've added some extra RAM and disk space and will probably order another cpu core in the near future too (I love how easy it is to upgrade, just select your upgrades and after payment they're immediately active...there's no waiting or having to open a ticket).

The performance is really good and the network speeds have been awesome too. Also I noticed that cpu passthrough was recently activated on my VPS too which rocks! I opened a low priority support ticket because IPv6 wasn't working on my VPS and Shawn responded and had it fixed for me in less then an hour (he was super nice too).

I'm thinking about trying their Boston or Colorado locations next :).

Thanked by 1angstrom
    edited May 2019

@sin said: Also I noticed that cpu passthrough was recently activated on my VPS too which rocks!

Did you ask for CPU passthrough, or did they just activate it on their own?

By the way, could you share the output of cat /proc/cpuinfo?

Thanked by 1sin
  • sinsin Member
    edited May 2019

@angstrom said:

@sin said: Also I noticed that cpu passthrough was recently activated on my VPS too which rocks!

Did you ask for CPU passthrough, or did they just activate it on their own?

By the way, could you share the output of cat /proc/cpuinfo?

I didn't have to ask for it, when I ordered the VPS it came with no passthrough but when I checked yesterday I noticed it had it (which is great so I'm happy it was enabled!).

Here's the cpuinfo for my Smarthost Virginia VPS:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor   : 0
    vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
    cpu family  : 6
    model       : 45
    model name  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz
    stepping    : 7
    microcode   : 0x1
    cpu MHz     : 2599.998
    cache size  : 16384 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings    : 1
    core id     : 0
    cpu cores   : 1
    apicid      : 0
    initial apicid  : 0
    fpu     : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level : 13
    wp      : yes
    flags       : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon rep_good nopl xtopology cpuid tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq vmx ssse3 cx16 pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx hypervisor lahf_lm pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust xsaveopt arat
    bugs        : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf mds
    bogomips    : 5199.99
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

Thanked by 1angstrom

@sin said: Here's the cpuinfo for my Smarthost Virginia VPS:

Looks good, feel tempted myself. :smile:

Thanked by 1sin

UPDATE:
    Chicago IL is now available.
    UK has been available for some time now...

• @SmartHost Is IPv6 available in the UK?

@Daniel15 said:
    @SmartHost Is IPv6 available in the UK?

On our KVM VPS, yes, but not yet on our legacy OpenVZ/Xen services (soon though...).

UPDATE:
    Seattle WA is now available.