Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Cloud Ice Cold Archive Storage $1.23/TB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Cloud Ice Cold Archive Storage $1.23/TB

https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/storage-data-transfer/whats-cooler-than-being-cool-ice-cold-archive-storage

They also say you can access the data instantly, and not wait for retrieval process. What do you think?

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

The word "instant" is relative, it has already lost again the local latency to pull files.
    How do they define instant?

• @Neoon said:
    The word "instant" is relative, it has already lost again the local latency to pull files.

That part was just interpreted by me. The origina text was 'immediate, low-latency access to your content.'

edited April 2019

@sanvit said:

@Neoon said:

That part was just interpreted by me. The origina text was 'immediate, low-latency access to your content.'

Ah yea, I see, its apparently not on tape drives.

Thanked by 2sanvit poisson
  • The usual catch is high transit fees even inside the provider cloud. AWS has something similar that might or might not be on tape, that is $1/TB but the transit costs are ridiculous.

Thanked by 3rm_ Aluminat m4nu
  • @willie said:
    The usual catch is high transit fees even inside the provider cloud. AWS has something similar that might or might not be on tape, that is $1/TB but the transit costs are ridiculous.

Isn't the cheapest glacier like $4/TB or am I missing something?

• sanvit said: Isn't the cheapest glacier like $4/TB or am I missing something?

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/new-amazon-s3-storage-class-glacier-deep-archive/

per this HN comment the new super cheap tier starts about $1/TB but with very high transfer costs.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited April 2019

high transfer cost = scam!

Reminds me of the Cloud Cameras from Amazon, cheap but the Cloud service cost yearly 80EUR, fuckers.

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Interesting, I'll stick to Backblaze though.

• @BlaZe said:

Yup... $5/TB + Free bandwidth is unbeatable. :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

BlaZe said: Interesting, I'll stick to Backblaze though.

With such a nickname you sure would!

Thanked by 2Francisco alexvolk
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said:
    With such a nickname you sure would!

420 blaze it B-)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2019

Hopefully their control panel and billing are better than Amazon's because I still have no idea what I'm paying for because their "click here for a breakdown of your bill" gives me a graph that makes no sense (the amount on the graph doesn't match up with the invoice amount) and I've yet to find a way to see how much Glacier storage I'm using. I'm probably going to stick with Amazon Drive and Google Drive.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • KuJoe said: Hopefully their control panel and billing are better than Amazon's because I still have no idea what I'm paying for because their "click here for a breakdown of your bill" gives me a graph that makes no sense (the amount on the graph doesn't match up with the invoice amount) and I've yet to find a way to see how much Glacier storage I'm using. I'm probably going to stick with Amazon Drive and Google Drive.

I think you are referring to the prediction graph which is really inaccurate. Their bill breakdown works fine for me though:

https://i.imgur.com/x5Md4I3.jpg

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2019

They have access to searches, to music listened, to youtube videos, to social networks, to advertising campaigns, they even created psychological profiles, now they want our backups too?

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @sanvit said:

@BlaZe said:

You pay for download bandwidth with backblaze.

• @sureiam said:

@sanvit said:

@BlaZe said:

Not with CloudFlare

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-and-cloudflare-partner-to-provide-free-data-transfer/

• @default said:
    They have access to searches, to music listened, to youtube videos, to social networks, to advertising campaigns, they even created psychological profiles, now they want our backups too?

It's Google. I'm pretty sure they want more of your info :P

• @sanvit said:

@sureiam said:

@sanvit said:

@BlaZe said:

Not with CloudFlare

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-and-cloudflare-partner-to-provide-free-data-transfer/

Right, I guess if you want to get at it that way it's an option.

• @sureiam said:

@sanvit said:

@sureiam said:

@sanvit said:

@BlaZe said:

Not with CloudFlare

Right, I guess if you want to get at it that way it's an option.

For me, CF sometimes gives even faster speed due to peering, but I guess the case might differ for those who don't like CF.

@default said:

Never send anybody your readable files if you don't trust them. Encrypt first, then enjoy the cheap storage.

@karatekidmonkey said:

KuJoe said: Hopefully their control panel and billing are better than Amazon's because I still have no idea what I'm paying for because their "click here for a breakdown of your bill" gives me a graph that makes no sense (the amount on the graph doesn't match up with the invoice amount) and I've yet to find a way to see how much Glacier storage I'm using. I'm probably going to stick with Amazon Drive and Google Drive.

I think you are referring to the prediction graph which is really inaccurate. Their bill breakdown works fine for me though:

https://i.imgur.com/x5Md4I3.jpg

Thank you for posting that, I checked it and it confirms that the software I'm using it not backing up all of my data to Glacier. Deleting the data off Glacier now to find a better solution.