Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Affordable VPS with liberal CPU policy in northern Europe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Affordable VPS with liberal CPU policy in northern Europe

HokaleHokale Member
edited April 2019 in Requests

I'm looking for an afforable (~10€/month or less, 10+ GB of space, KVM, traffic cap doesn't really matter) VPS which is located in northern Europe. I would like to find a provider which has a "liberal" CPU policy. I don't need a dedicated CPU as such, since I'm not planning to execute any particularly CPU-intensive tasks.
Currently I have my site hosted at a non-VPS service which is extremely friendly what comes to CPU usage: if one's CPU usage gets out of control, it never suspends the service (at least without contacting the customer first) but rather it tries to keep the other users at the server unharmed by capping the CPU time of the user with their own scheduler.

I have read that some people have got their VPS service suspended because of CPU usage limits. Probably I would never hit those CPU usage limits, but I'm still willing to pay a bit extra for peace of mind.

For example, does Hetzner cloud VPS has any CPU usage limits (of course their dedicated CPU VPS hasn't any, but they are too expensive for me)?
How about NetCup, HostHatch and BuyVM? I couldn't find any concrete facts about their CPU policy, they all seem to offer "fair" CPU usage for all users.

Comments

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2019

We can offer VPS with possibility to use all resources 24/7 , as servers are not overselled.
    But price/resources are out of your range, as 100GB NVMe space and 5GB RAM.

https://www.bacloud.com/en/kvm-linux-pro

1St plan after discounts around 17,60 euro/month. Yes, looks expensive, but those 1 core VPS beats other providers VPS'es with overselled 4 and more cores.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • You couldn't find concrete facts about BuyVM cpu policy? You must be clinically blind, it's literally everywhere in the page.
    Get their $14 plan and slam that 1 core as much as you want

Or get a dedi

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@vovler said:
    You couldn't find concrete facts about BuyVM cpu policy? You must be clinically blind, it's literally everywhere in the page.

I think he didn't like what he saw and decided to play selective memory bit.

• I recall UltraVPS.eu commenting that you could max out one vcpu (loadAVG=1.00) in their 8GB KVM and above.
    I understood it as more of a 'don't worry too much about a runaway process' , rather than 'come mine your shitcoin here, fellow kids'.

For a low budget option,
    You could check out Wishosting's KVM-SSD (france) for $5.99.
    It's back in stock. I had a good experience when I was using it in 2016-2017.
    DC is OVH . Exact Location may be OVH RBX/GRA. I don't recall exactly.

Wishosting uses OpenNebula; It has a fair share throttling system.
    You don't have to worry about a misbehaving vps.
    You'll just be limited to your fair-share if multiple vps on same node start using ALL the cpu at the same time.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

You can try us, we don’t oversell any resources, for more details visit URL: https://www.web-project.co.uk/pure-ssd-vps-hosting

• Hosthatch
    NVMe 4 GB
    1x 2.8+ GHz Core (100% dedicated)
    4 GB RAM
    35 GB NVMe SSD storage
    1 Gbps connection
    2 TB bandwidth
    1 IPv4 & /64 IPv6 included
    $10.00 USD /monthly

• vovler said: You couldn't find concrete facts about BuyVM cpu policy? You must be clinically blind, it's literally everywhere in the page.

Same thing with netcup root servers.

• If you don't actually hammer the CPU 24/7 you should have no trouble with most serious providers, including the ones you mentioned: a traffic spike should not be a problem.

If your goal is to use the CPU 24/7 (even though you state otherwise) you'd have to look for a provider offering "dedicated cores".

Good luck.

• Because of the cores vs vcores distinction that almost all vps providers gloss over, if you want long term heavy cpu usage you are probably better off with a dedicated server. "Dedicated core" vps providers usually actually supply vcores which are each basically half of a physical core. In practice they still seem to be shared at some level, which is to your benefit in that you can use them as full cores if the server is underutilized. But you can't rely on that, especially for long computations on big instances.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@willie said:
    In practice they still seem to be shared at some level, which is to your benefit in that you can use them as full cores if the server is underutilized. But you can't rely on that, especially for long computations on big instances.

If they're good then the nodes will be well balanced. But yeah, if you're looking to smack more than 1 or 2 cores a dedi is probably the better option, cheap E3 at Hetzner/SYS/wherever to fully abuse.

• +1 for WisHosting. No problems at all with CPU issue and rock stable with great speeds.

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • Thanks for answers. Ok, HostHatch, BuyVM, NetCup and Wishosting are provably liberal what comes to CPU usage. Bacloud would be an excellent choice as well if the cheapest Pro version had half the price (and resources, 2 GB RAM and 20 GB disk space would be sufficient) it has now ;)

What comes to other providers, Hetzner Cloud looks very competitive VPS. I tried to dig out info about Hetzner Cloud CPU policy also at this forum. Is @Hetzner_OL in attendance? I found that somebody has done a stress test at Hetzner ( https://www.vpsbenchmarks.com/trials/hetzner_performance_trial_09Aug2018/endurance_runs/last ), but didn't face any restrictions. Should I assume that Hetzner Cloud is a liberal provider in this sense?

But as @datanoise said, I should not have problems with any serious VPS provider. I have probably exaggerated my needs, but since I use a very good basic web hosting service now, I don't want to switch to a worse VPS what comes to CPU limitations. Otherwise I have grown out from the current one and a VPS is needed.

• Hokale said: I tried to dig out info about Hetzner Cloud CPU policy also at this forum.

You didn't dig very hard. The policy is basically: 1) crypto mining is not allowed; 2) other than that, there aren't hard limits on cpu usage; 3) however, if you use heavy cpu for a long time your VM will eventually be throttled (cpu allocation decreased).

In practice the Hetzner Cloud is more heavily utilized now than it was when it was new, so CPU availability isn't bad but it's less than you'd get with dedicated cores. When it was new it was almost like dedicated. I ran a compute-heavy task for about 3 hours on all 8 cores of a 32gb vm and it worked fine, 100% the whole time. More recently I ran something for about 24h at 100% of 1 core on a 32gb (4 core) vm and that worked fine too, but the other 3 cores were idle because what I was doing only used 1.

I did get throttled on my 1gb BuyVM slice a month or so ago, after I had run an hour or so task. Speed came back to normal after I rebooted the VM. On the other hand, BuyVM has better single thread performance than Hetzner.

Anyway, if you're doing something reasonable, don't worry. If you're mining or transcoding or whatever for long periods, get dedicated hardware.

• If you are not planning to execute CPU-intensive tasks, use "nice" to lower the scheduling priority of your processes. This should solve your problem.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Another vote here for wishosting @exception0x876

I really don't know how he does it, but you can use your vCPU at 100% 24/7 if you need to. Support is very professional should you ever use it.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

willie said: You didn't dig very hard. The policy is basically: 1) crypto mining is not allowed; 2) other than that, there aren't hard limits on cpu usage; 3) however, if you use heavy cpu for a long time your VM will eventually be throttled (cpu allocation decreased).

Yep, what he said. ;)
    We also have some brief guidelines posted here: https://www.hetzner.com/rechtliches/cloud-server/
    --Katie, Marketing

• chihcherng said: If you are not planning to execute CPU-intensive tasks, use "nice" to

I don't think that will make any difference to other VM's on the same hardware. These are KVM virtual machines so each one has its very own kernel and scheduler and "nice" only affects scheduling within the vm. "Nice" might make a difference on openvz or lxc.

• Just don't use "naughty"

• VeespVeesp Member, Host Rep

We provide KVM VPS in Northern-East Europe. For ten bucks you can get 1 vCore, 2 Gb RAM, 50 Gb SSD and unlim traffic on 200 Mbps. You can find out how to be nice to a CPU from our SLA

• I ran 24 hour long cpu intensive tests on 25 providers and almost 80 VPS plans (https://www.vpsbenchmarks.com/compare/performances/endurance). The only ones that got throttled sometimes during the tests are those that market their VPS as "burstable CPU". They're usually explicit about it when selling their plans except for Lightsail.
    This metric, the coeff of variation for the throughput of the cpu intensive endurance test is the best indicator I have for cpus throttled under heavy load. The VPS at the bottom of this list with coeff variation values above 15% are very likely to apply heavy throttling: https://www.vpsbenchmarks.com/plan_grades/all_values/endurance_coeff_variation