Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to network solutions? It's absolute garbage!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What happened to network solutions? It's absolute garbage!

sureiamsureiam Member
edited April 2019 in General

I remember network solutions used to be the best out there in the late 90s/early 2000s. Expensive but one of the best. Now it's just a trash hole of Nickle and dimeing on prepaid non refundable services peddled to uneducated users that don't know any better. It's no joke $40 a year for a .com with privacy. Their web hosting is without cpanel. Ssl is extra. Even catch all for email is extra. And their support is deplorable. I was helping someone move away and they were shocked at what they got from competitors.

How could such an established brand fail so miserably at advancing their product within the web services industry?!

Comments

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

My close friend works there in technical support, and he says it was bad before, but since the acquisition it has been an absolute nightmare.

• Dearest sureiam,

It has always been garbage. Nothing has changed.

With Warm Regards,
    James B Peach

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited April 2019

@jamespeach said:
    Dearest sureiam,

It has always been garbage. Nothing has changed.

With Warm Regards,
    James B Peach

Dearest @jamespeach,

network solutions disagree with you.

"Our experienced Customer Service Representatives are available 24/7 to help you. We want your business to triumph online — we'll take the time and go the extra mile to help."

With Warm Regards.

Thanked by 1CleverHost
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited April 2019

@SmartHost said:
    My close friend works there in technical support, and he says it was bad before, but since the acquisition it has been an absolute nightmare.

Dearest @SmartHost,

• Consistently show respect, honesty and professionalism in all interactions with customers, fellow employees and all other people with whom we have contact.
    • Create an entrepreneurial spirit among our employees that encourages personal resource-fullness and creativity.
    • Foster open communications among all employees.
      Continuously improve our services and products and the ways we offer them to create greater value for our customers.

• Keep customer satisfaction as our top priority.

• Value and encourage teamwork in every activity, task and opportunity.

With Warm Regards.

edited April 2019

@Chuck said:

@SmartHost said:

Dearest @SmartHost,

You can't disagree with me, if I don't have an opinion on it! doh.
    As I said...I am just relaying what a friend told me that works there for a very long time.

My only opinion of NetSol/web.com is that they priced themselves out of the game at $70/year in domain registration fees back in the day, when the rest of the world was $10/year. Writing was on the wall. I know I pulled hundreds of domain registrations from them, and I am sure most providers did the same back then.

• Adam1Adam1 Member

SmartHost said: My only opinion of NetSol/web.com is that they priced themselves out of the game at $70/year in domain registration fees back in the day, when the rest of the world was $10/year.

That might be how you see it, but I'm pretty sure at that time (early 2000s), they were profiting massively and as a dotcom bubble business they done very well.

Thanked by 1CleverHost

I'm not referring to that era, when they were the only game in town. Following that, they didn't change with the times, and had a mass migration of clients away from them.

• NetworkSolutions and Register.com both are crap domain registrars. You don't have an access to Auth-code/EPP code when you want to request a transfer-out to better registrar. You must request it manually, and then they'll send it to you be email after a day or two.

I've had my domains there with NS, and it was really hard to transfer-out, and the prices are also too high than the competitors. Few years ago they weer $34.99 / yr for .COM renewal. Now its something $24 or $25. But that's still huge.

• It's pretty bad when GoDaddy is a lesser evil.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • Just use Namecheap and move along.

• @caniac22 said:
    Just use Namecheap and move along.

@Letzien said:
    It's pretty bad when GoDaddy is a lesser evil.

NameSilo and PorkBun seem to be the cheapest and yet best game in town. I just don't see what NameCheap or GoDaddy has that NameSilo and PorkBun don't and for less. not to mention the other things offered at NameSilo and PorkBun that NameCheap and GoDaddy don't offer.

I'd add though that it seems the org. developer of namesilo sold out a little while ago and it's not been under new (but competent) management. Porkbun is newer but seems to be a solid platform.

• @SmartHost said:

@Chuck said:

@SmartHost said:

My only opinion of NetSol/web.com is that they priced themselves out of the game at $70/year in domain registration fees back in the day, when the rest of the world was $10/year. Writing was on the wall. I know I pulled hundreds of domain registrations from them, and I am sure most providers did the same back then.

They've only gotten worse. It's actually $40ish a year per domain now as privacy is an additional cost (and frankly with the amount of spam out there absolutely needed). But then you get to their shared hosting and the platform hasn't been touched in decades. Where is all their extortion money going?

By the way tried to get money back for my friends pre-paid email and webhosting. No go they won't do it. Since my friend want's SSL now and let's encrypt is far from an option it's still cheaper for them to jump ship now.

Billing and support were completely useless and barely understood what I was asking after 3 attempts. There is still an issue where they are being billed automatically for an email account that can't be found anywhere in the portal or renewal screen and they can't figure it out.

**network solutions has to be flat out one of the worse web services platform I've seen in 20 years. **

• @sureiam said:

@caniac22 said:
    Just use Namecheap and move along.

@Letzien said:
    It's pretty bad when GoDaddy is a lesser evil.

NameSilo and PorkBun seem to be the cheapest and yet best game in town. I just don't see what NameCheap or GoDaddy has that NameSilo and PorkBun don't and for less. not to mention the other things offered at NameSilo and PorkBun that NameCheap and GoDaddy don't offer.

Porkbun is starting to push their add-ons to a 10%-of-a-GoDaddy stream, so you get a couple free months of email hosting to ignore until it expires (or forever, depending on their GUI config), but I don't forsee it staying this innocuous for long.

Namesilo finally updated their website, but not their product line. I don't expect a lot for a registrar, but damn guys, you've been sitting and doing nothing for so long that a reskin is a big fucking deal.

• Network Solutions is a EIG brand so its hard to deal with. Their business model is to catch you and not to let you go. Horible stories outside.

• RazzaRazza Member

@ZotiMediaGroup said:
    Network Solutions is a EIG brand so its hard to deal with. Their business model is to catch you and not to let you go. Horible stories outside.

It's not a EIG brand it's part of Web.com Group.

• @Razza said:

@ZotiMediaGroup said:
    Network Solutions is a EIG brand so its hard to deal with. Their business model is to catch you and not to let you go. Horible stories outside.

It's not a EIG brand it's part of Web.com Group.

Mamy are claiming it: https://kimballrexford.com/review-networksolutions-com/

• @Letzien said:

Namesilo finally updated their website, but not their product line. I don't expect a lot for a registrar, but damn guys, you've been sitting and doing nothing for so long that a reskin is a big fucking deal.

I read a little into it and apparently the current owners and board aren't the original and it's changed hands. Perhaps this new group will expand it.

I don't mind pork buns additional services the are just that additional. To be frank i don't know how they are making money I think they have about 200k domains under them and an average profit of $1 per domain means there's hardly any meat left for operating and staff costs.

• YuraYura Member

One night I had a dream where anytime a child was born and parents decided on the baby's name I would get paid for it. Anywhere in the world and I didn't have to do much about it, a simple nod and acknowledgement "yeah, well done, good name fellas", as long as money went into my account. I don't remember why exactly but everyone was convinced it was an innovative and labor intensive work so I didn't change anything about it for decades. Life was good.

It was a sweet dream.

• @Yura said:
    One night I had a dream where anytime a child was born and parents decided on the baby's name I would get paid for it. Anywhere in the world and I didn't have to do much about it, a simple nod and acknowledgement "yeah, well done, good name fellas", as long as money went into my account. I don't remember why exactly but everyone was convinced it was an innovative and labor intensive work so I didn't change anything about it for decades. Life was good.

It was a sweet dream.

That's right many don't know they had exclusive rights to .com till about 1998 I believe. The wiki page is funny:

Network Solutions:

in 2000, at the peak of the dot-com bubble, the company was acquired by VeriSign, Inc. for $21 billion in stock.

On October 17, 2003, VeriSign announced the sale of Network Solutions to Pivotal Equity Group for $100 million. (OUCH!)

In February 2007, General Atlantic, a private equity firm, acquired the company for a reported $800 million.[24][25]

In August 2011, Web.com announced the acquisition of the company for $405 million and 18 million shares.

Literally BILLIONS upon BILLIONS of dollars have been thrown at this company over the years and it can't even compete with low level registry services anymore. What a waste.

Thanked by 2that_guy Yura
  • armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Who and what is network solution

• My company used to have its primary domain running on that, and I was always questioning why -- consider even GoDaddy is a better choice than that, not mentioning other brands.

Later I got the chance to move all the crap out, to AWS Route 53. May not be the best option, but at that time it's a good choice.

• YuraYura Member
    edited April 2019

@sureiam said:

@Yura said:

It was a sweet dream.

On October 17, 2003, VeriSign announced the sale of Network Solutions to Pivotal Equity Group for $100 million. (OUCH!)

Long story short, we got pegged. OUCH!

• I had a domain there for many years and just got it out -- renewal was coming up. Leaving wasn't too hard, just ignore their messages to call them and talk it over!

• Chuck said: network solutions disagree with you.

Is it you Bartowski?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

It is simple.

Dinosaurs will die.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

I have to admit though, with such a domain [web.com], they will always have a chance of a good comeback in the industry even if they close for a few years.