Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Host identification changed warning and I can't explain why
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Host identification changed warning and I can't explain why

JunJun Member
edited April 2019 in General

I recently encountered "Host identification changed warning" and I am genuinely curious how this is even possible. "Host identification changed warning" is the following message

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the ECDSA key sent by the remote host is
==============deleted==============
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in =deleted= to get rid of this message.
Offending ECDSA key in =deleted=:51
ECDSA host key for =deleted= has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

Here is more context. My VPS suffered from some downtime. Then, when it recovered and I tried to ssh into it, I encountered this warning. I filed a ticket regarding the downtime and this warning to the host and I didn't hear a satisfactory explanation else than it is due to a power outage.

I tried to reason about this warning
1. I didn't reinstall OS.
2. The host might have reinstalled or recovered from extremely old backup before I reinstalled. => My system logs, .zsh_history, local files, and cron jobs are intact, including latest changes I remember from couple days ago.
3. It may be MITM attack? a. Is my personal computer under attack? => I have used GNU+Linux for years as my primary and only OS and I know the basic security hardening rules. The applications I install are very boring and I try to use flatpak or docker for any dubious or closed source applications. I see no signs of other suspicious change in my computer. I see the same host identification changed warning from three different computers I use.
4. It may be MITM attack? b. Is my ISP under attack? => This specific VPS is the only one causing this problem among 6 VPS's I currently manage. I run into this error no matter if I use VPN, coffee shop wifi, or from work.
5. It may be MITM attack? c. Is it my host messing with my VPS with malicious intent? => It's OpenVZ and afaik (I know almost nothing about VPS, though), the host can mess with my files without shutting down the system. But I think this is very, very, very unlikely. They are not a summer host.
6. My host might have misconfigured something in the VPS system to lead to this error? I have no single clue how this is even possible.

In the end, I am very lost. Google didn't give me a satisfactory answer. Is there anyone here who could give me any possible explanation about this warning? Thank you.

Comments

• Are IP address and hostname same as before?

Have you inspected the previous (now mis-matched) entry on line 51 of your known_hosts file for possible clues?

Thanked by 1Jun
  • Is your ssh daemon the same version? It's not uncommon for updates/upgrades to create a new host key if the existing one is decidedly insecure, or new protocols such as ed25519..

Thanked by 2uptime Jun
  • JunJun Member
    edited April 2019

Thank you for suggesting more hypothesis.

uptime said: Are IP address and hostname same as before?

Yes, it follows my local host file, not DNS. I double-checked with my personal wiki that the IP nor hostname has changed.

uptime said: Have you inspected the previous (now mis-matched) entry on line 51 of your known_hosts file for possible clues?

My previous entry of known_hosts file looks like a valid entry to me.
    {deleted_correct_ip_port} ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 {some_hash_value}
    and they are exactly same across three different computers (one with different distro). And they look very similar format as other entries of different servers. I do not have enough expert knowledge to confidently say that this is the correct hash value, but with common-sense rules (from length or format), I see no problems.

Letzien said: Is your ssh daemon the same version? It's not uncommon for updates/upgrades to create a new host key if the existing one is decidedly insecure, or new protocols such as ed25519..

My previous (now offending) host key was in ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 and the new host key is in ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 as well. I just checked dpkg log and I see no upgrade in sshd/openssh-related packages since last boot. It is now using v7.9p1 since February, which seems to be the most recent version.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2019

Not sure if you're our customer ... we had downtime in St. Petersburg last weekend and there were some issues with our cloud-init configuration.

If the guest VM started before metadata server, it may re-generate SSH host keys. We're aware of this issue and you can uninstall cloud-init to avoid this as we won't provide snapshot feature in the near future and cloud-init is unnecessary or useless after provision.

Thanked by 1Jun
  • avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

If you want a detailed explanation:

This bug was introduced by a workaround to fix root password not being saved properly.

The script (/usr/local/sbin/setrootpw) should only run during the first boot but if the server can't reach metadata server, it will run again and re-generate ssh host keys and set root password to default password.

Thanked by 3uptime Jun Janevski
  • JunJun Member

aveline said: Not sure if you're our customer

No I am not.

@aveline said:

This bug was introduced by a workaround to fix root password not being saved properly.

The script (/usr/local/sbin/setrootpw) should only run during the first boot but if the server can't reach metadata server, it will run again and re-generate ssh host keys and set root password to default password.

Thanks a million. This seems to be the most plausible answer to my issue. A couple of issues happened with the same host due to misconfiguration of cloud-init and this seems to be yet another issue coming from cloud-init. Considering that this issue happened right after a reboot from power outage, this makes perfect sense. I will let my host know about it.

• @aveline said:

On successful connection to meta data server, the script should remove itself from being launched ever again.