Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOLUS.IO - Finally The SolusVM Update? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SOLUS.IO - Finally The SolusVM Update?

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@alexvolk said:

@KuJoe said:
    It would take about 1-3 months for somebody with no PHP knowledge depending on if they only work weekends. ;)

Joe, without prior experience in server administration or something similar it wouldn't be so easy :wink:

I agree, you need at least some server background. But for providers who have been limping along on SolusVM for 3+ years now they could have learned enough PHP to get a much better control panel online and saved themselves a few hundred dollars a year in licensing.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

KuJoe said: It would take about 1-3 months for somebody with no PHP knowledge depending on if they only work weekends.

You can write a frontend for something like Proxmox in 1 - 3 months. Full fledged panel from scratch? No chance if it's supposed to be secure, stable, scalable and just generally working.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Well the dicks are taking a break for 14 days! Get out and smell the fresh air away from let!

Thanked by 3Skander Foul Tr33n
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

@PieHasNotBeenEaten is the most brutal mod ever.

Thanked by 2TimboJones ViridWeb
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

KuJoe said: I agree, you need at least some server background. But for providers who have been limping along on SolusVM for 3+ years now they could have learned enough PHP to get a much better control panel online and saved themselves a few hundred dollars a year in licensing.

In fairness, even 'a few hundred dollars a year' is difficult to justify, with the amount of hours going into building a panel.

The better argument is probably not cost, but rather the freedom that it gives providers to offer unusual services that wouldn't be supported by an off-the-shelf panel.

Thanked by 2uptime lazyt
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@FHR said:

KuJoe said: It would take about 1-3 months for somebody with no PHP knowledge depending on if they only work weekends.

You can write a frontend for something like Proxmox in 1 - 3 months. Full fledged panel from scratch? No chance if it's supposed to be secure, stable, scalable and just generally working.

I wrote Wyvern in less than 3 months with 0 coding knowledge. I took a shortcut by integrating it into WHMCS so that eliminated a lot of the more difficult work like authentication but when I got the security audit done I was pretty impressed with how few mistakes I made. :lol:

Now coding a WHMCS replacement from scratch did take me a little longer than it took me to code Wyvern, but that's been mostly a hobby project for AFreeCloud since I don't really want to migrate over from WHMCS since we have a lifetime license.

@joepie91 said:

KuJoe said: I agree, you need at least some server background. But for providers who have been limping along on SolusVM for 3+ years now they could have learned enough PHP to get a much better control panel online and saved themselves a few hundred dollars a year in licensing.

In fairness, even 'a few hundred dollars a year' is difficult to justify, with the amount of hours going into building a panel.

The better argument is probably not cost, but rather the freedom that it gives providers to offer unusual services that wouldn't be supported by an off-the-shelf panel.

At the time SolusVM was getting hit with security exploits every few weeks so the fact that I was saving ~$80 a month was just a bonus.

Thanked by 2lazyt Ympker
  • HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

@jordynegen11 said:
    I can remember they promised me before onapp took over.

"SolusVM 2.0 will be ready in a couple of weeks", "SolusVM 2.0 will be ready soon"

I asked multiple times via their support.

So it's been a number of months now and nothing new from Solus.io since the initial announcement - it's starting to look like another SolusVM 2.0 situation 😒

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@HostMedia said:
    it's starting to look like another SolusVM 2.0 situation 😒

It is! Forget it and move on

• Colocrossing will have IPv6 before any new Solus version appears.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

SolusIO pricing has been released:
    https://www.solus.io/prices/

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@SmartHost said:

Well it will be at least 12-15x price increase for a 24-core node. For that price I would choose OpenStack + Fleio.

Thanked by 1fleio
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2020

@NDTN said:

@SmartHost said:

Well it will be at least 12-15x price increase for a 24-core node. For that price I would choose OpenStack + Fleio.

You should expect basically everyone to bring up their pricing now that Solus is raising theirs. There's no reason for virtualizor, Fleio, etc, to stay low when the pool of options are shallow and the likely overload of new customers moving from Solus being heavy.

Francisco

• Doubt Virtualizor can increase by much, their product is nothing compared to I imagine the quality of new Solus.

@tester4 said:
    Doubt Virtualizor can increase by much, their product is nothing compared to I imagine the quality of new Solus.

Ok so what do you go to then?

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@tester4 said:
    Doubt Virtualizor can increase by much, their product is nothing compared to I imagine the quality of new Solus.

Francisco

Solus, that's my point. Virtualizor increases their prices in line with the big boys, I'm going to pick Solus over Virtualizor.

@tester4 said:

@Francisco said:

@tester4 said:

Francisco

Solus, that's my point. Virtualizor increases their prices in line with the big boys, I'm going to pick Solus over Virtualizor.

They wont match but if they are even 50% of whatever solus is, it's still large increase.

Francisco

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

So a 16 physical core single slave will cost 80 euro?
    That's insane..
    The days of $5 vps are over..

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@ViridWeb said:
    That's insane..

nah there's plenty of other options

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
    edited February 2020

@MikeA said:

@ViridWeb said:
    That's insane..

nah there's plenty of other options

I'm sure other companies will follow solus soon or later.

Edited: Just did some initial testing of new solus.. It's really works great even as a beta..
    Even more noob friendly.. :tongue:

But still can't ignore the awful pricing..

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2020

Well, that's a hard no from us. Price difference is in the thousands/m; so roll our own becomes a viable option.

@jackb said:
    Well, that's a hard no from us. Price difference is in the thousands/m; so roll our own becomes a viable option.

If they continue to provide services and updates for old solusvm at same price then no need to migrate to the new solus

Otherwise we may consider Openstack

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

It was actually predicted, like 1 year ago, that this will happen.
    Now its to late.

• @ViridWeb said:
    That's insane..

Price increase is nuts.

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • LeeLee Veteran

hotlineservers said: Price increase is nuts.

it's not a price increase, its a new, different product.

edited February 2020

@hotlineservers said:

@ViridWeb said:
    That's insane..

Price increase is nuts.

Ya I'm feeling the pain in my nutts.. :wink:

Thanked by 1fleio

@Lee said:

It's more like a ransom.. imagine a 32 physical core slave will cost you $160/month when right now it cost you approx $12.5

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@ViridWeb said:

@Lee said:

It's more like a ransom.. imagine a 32 physical core slave will cost you $160/month when right now it cost you approx $12.5

Did you see the prices on the market for a similar, working, software ?

Thanked by 1Lee
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2020

Francisco said: I'm waiting for the price hike to land.

according to their prices page:

5€ per month per CPU core, so if nodes do have right and decent CPU with at least 12 core so it will cost 60€ per node and its not the end price as their price is still coming soon.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2020

ViridWeb said: It's more like a ransom.. imagine a 32 physical core slave will cost you $160/month when right now it cost you approx $12.5

Again, two different products, $12.5 will get you SVM1, which is significantly different from the product they are now offering. But whine on, you see what you want to.

The suggestions are probably right in that they will increase the price of SVM1, but it will still exist so this new panel only matters to those who want to get into a different part of the market.

edited February 2020

@Lee said:

ViridWeb said: It's more like a ransom.. imagine a 32 physical core slave will cost you $160/month when right now it cost you approx $12.5

Again, two different products, $12.5 will get you SVM1, which is significantly different from the product they are now offering. But whine on, you see what you want to.

The suggestions are probably right in that they will increase the price of SVM1, but it will still exist so this new panel only matters to those who want to get into a different part of the market.

@Clouvider said:

@ViridWeb said:

@Lee said:

Did you see the prices on the market for a similar, working, software ?

As of now after testing their new Solus I can say that it's worth it..
    It's flexible and user friendly..

In my opinion maybe I can pay $0.50 per vps or $2.0 per physical core but 5 per core? No no no way..
    That's too much..

Edited: maybe cloudstack or openstack will be the best option for us (Our opinion)

Thanked by 1Clouvider