Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOLUS.IO - Finally The SolusVM Update?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

SOLUS.IO - Finally The SolusVM Update?

wa44io4wa44io4 Member
edited March 2019 in General

Hey Guys,

Just saw something interesting :) - https://solus.io

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

@Neoon said:
    SolusVM 4.0

by the time they do release it will be SolusVM 6.0 :smile:

Thanked by 1jordynegen11
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected VPS Plans
    Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
  • SolusVM v2

2 in decimal is 10 in binary

10 looks a bit like IO

Solus dot IO = Solus 2

Confirmed :D

I am no longer active here, find me at https://talk.lowendspirit.com

• @AnthonySmith should hear about this great news!

Thanked by 1eol

"Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member
    edited March 2019

angstrom said:
    @AnthonySmith should hear about this great news!

look up :) also, this is old news for me :)

• @AnthonySmith said:
    look up :) also, this is old news

Thanked by 1emgh
  • eoleol Member

Nice glasses.

˙ɹǝuzʇǝɥ

• @Letzien that poor unfortunate mess of hormones has WAY more hair than I have (or ever could have) and his beard is WEAK! mine is STRONG!

Thanked by 1vimalware

• @AnthonySmith said:

angstrom said:
    @AnthonySmith should hear about this great news!

look up :) also, this is old news for me :)

Ah, you beat me to it by one minute. :smile:

"Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

• So the long wait is over?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

@angstrom said:
    So the long wait is over?

I'm waiting for the price hike to land.

Looks great, but aesthetics has always been a strong point for Plesk and the old family of products.

Francisco

BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • @angstrom said:
    So the long wait is over?

WE CAN FINALLY PUT VIRTUALIZOR DOWN

Oh wait -- we already have.

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • AmitzAmitz Member

SolusVM is the Theresa May of the software industry. Some day, both will deliver...

For those who care:
    You can now find me at https://talk.lowendspirit.com or https://www.hostballs.com

@Amitz said:
    SolusVM is the Theresa May of the software industry. Some day, both will deliver...

Well, Solus is ahead of her.

Solus had to change hands twice to try to get the job done. The UK's only done that once so far.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Letzien webcraft
    BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

I feel like Mrs. May is at least trying. SolusVM though? Putting out random updates once in a while can be done even by me.

Thanked by 1webcraft

"Jarland is stupid."

• @deank said:
    I feel like Mrs. May is at least trying. SolusVM though? Putting out random updates once in a while can be done even by me.

brexit() is going to be my new die() alias.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Provider
    edited March 2019

I think I'll just stay on the current version and keep my pricing...

Or maybe it's time to use my own.

ExtraVM - AMD Ryzen VPS starting @ $3.50
    USA (TX, VA, FL), CA, FR, UK, SGP, AU

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Lexit should be your new alias.

"Jarland is stupid."

• Plesk delivers. Always. Of course price increase around 2 - 3x usual is expected, but their products are good!

#!/Bashblog.net | Free Wordpress Hosting | If you can't idle, what's the point?

• NeoonNeoon Member
    edited March 2019

@MikeA said:

Thats not how it works.
    Sure they will drop the legacy version in like 1 year after release.

So either you keep it outdated and unsafe or you upgrade or develop your own.
    If you want to do it, start now.

They got you by the balls.

• @LTniger said:
    Plesk delivers. Always. Of course price increase around 2 - 3x usual is expected, but their products are good!

Obviously everyone's experience can be different, but after just leaving a shared hosting provider offering Plesk and cPanel I'll take cPanel any day of the week. Plesk was horrible to maintain, whereas cPanel just never had issues.

We also had very negative experiences of Plesk's support service, but cPanel were incredible and went above and beyond every time

For sure it made me a massive cPanel fanboy

• Tr33nTr33n Member

LTniger said: Plesk delivers. Always.

Plesk is buggy as hell. cPanel, in comparison, works much better.
    Since cPanel now also belongs to Oakley Capital, of which Plesk is also part of it, it may well be that cPanel gets worser or Plesk becomes stable.

Just a view point why Plesk sucks:

• No service check. There is the watchdog extension, which does only work after fixing Plesk Bug #PPPM-8683. However, watchdog only checks if the service is running, but not if it works correctly. cPanel checks if the service does response.

• Default configuration of the services is bad. You need to tweak every single service, even the mailserver.

• No decent mail server configuration possible, as Plesk overwrites it over and over again. This is especially stupid because you can not customize the smtpd_recipient_restrictions option without developing your own methods to undo the automatic reset of Plesk.
      Also, you can not send mails over different IPs without breaking any standards like RDNS and SMTP hostnames.

• Updates often broke systems in the past. Last critical issue i know was 16 days ago: EXTWPTOOLK-2519

I could continue the list forever. Just try to install modsecurity over CLI and use the tortix rules (on CentOS 7, dunno if it works on other OS correctly). Right, it does not work on the first try, this is why i need to do shit like: https://pastebin.com/dfcGCU1Q

The main goal of Plesk is to add as many features as possible. Whether they work reasonably does not matter.

I hope SolusVM keeps being stable. The hope dies last.

Thanked by 2lukehebb ErikEnoctus
  • What crazy world is this that people prefer cpanel over plesk?

Thanked by 1FHR
  • v3ngv3ng Member
    edited March 2019

I only tried cPanel once and I can't understand why there's such a hype around it.
    Ugly design and the interface is too complex and not very user-friendly.
    I'd prefer Plesk or even a free Panel like Keyhelp at any time.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • lukehebblukehebb Member
    edited March 2019

v3ng said: I only tried cPanel once and I can't understand why there's such a hype around it.
    Ugly design and the interface is too complex and not very user-friendly.

I must admit that the old design wasn't nice, but paper lantern is definitely a much needed improvement

For me the key thing is stability. The amount of times I had to run "plesk repair X Y" compared to having any issues at all with cPanel while working in my last job (I left a few days ago to go somewhere else) is just crazy.

I can trust that cPanel won't go down randomly overnight, I can't say that about Plesk. But as always, YMMV of course

• leapswitchleapswitch Member, Provider
    edited March 2019

Met Phil at CloudFest. The new version does seem to be better and aimed at competing against DO/Vultr.

Phil/Solus seems happier under the new ownership. Onapp and Solusvm were competing products if Solus tried to add features or Onapp tried to make a lite version.

This version is still 6 months away and will have some price hike. Migration should be possible for existing nodes in-place.

Leapswitch Networks - Affordable Managed and UnManaged VPS
    Pune/Mumbai, India - Asheville, USA - Lisbon, Portugal - Kiev, Ukraine - Barcelona, Spain - Frankfurt, Germany

@leapswitch said:
    Met Phil at CloudFest. The new version does seem to be better and aimed at competing against DO/Vultr.

Phil/Solus seems happier under the new ownership. Onapp and Solusvm were competing products of Solis tried to add features or Onapp tried to make a lite version.

This version is still 6 months away and will have some price hike. Migration should be possible for existing nodes in-place.

All makes sense.

Plesk bought it to turn a profit, and given they already raised prices on Plesk, Solus will get the same.

The Onapp conflicts were pretty public. There was all this talk about adding OnApp's Federation systems to Solus but that never happened.

A long time ago Phil had posted a roadmap plan for Solus and much of the feature set looked to be targeted right at OnApp customers. Its always been obvious that Solus was bought out to keep it out of OnApp's way, not for it to be properly developed.

Francisco

edited March 2019

@MikeA said:

Since I can't edit this. I think I will take this back after realizing it's not completely logical. I would gladly pay a little bit more for Solus to be maintained better and new features added. Since I like Plesk, and gladly pay money for that product, I can't complain here. Heh, I pay for in license costs for Minecraft servers than I do VPS.

• Tr33n said: Just a view point why Plesk sucks

Wait when you encounter cPanel's 'few points' of PERL hell. Plesk is good, very good. They are stable, predictable.

Thanked by 1joeri

• jackbjackb Member, Provider

@MikeA said:

@MikeA said:

Since I can't edit this. I think I will take this back after realizing it's not completely logical. I would gladly pay a little bit more for Solus to be maintained better and new features added. Since I like Plesk, and gladly pay money for that product, I can't complain here. Heh, I pay for in license costs for Minecraft servers than I do VPS.

Depends what the price hike ends up being imo. We've wanted to roll our own for years but never invested the time to complete it.

Afterburst - Awesome OpenVZ&KVM VPS in US+EU

@jackb said:
    Depends what the price hike ends up being imo. We've wanted to roll our own for years but never invested the time to complete it.

I really haven't because I have a hard time trusting people, and I have little skills in that area so I'd be paying someone or a group, and then I wouldn't be able to sleep at night without a security audit.

I don't think it will be too bad, Plesk's existing products aren't that bad compared to alternatives. I'm just glad things are actually moving more.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Member, Provider

I've also met Phill and some guys from Plesk over at CloudFest and am really happy with the meeting itself. The future seems brighter than it has ever been for Solus, at the exact moment.

AlphaVPS - Cheap VPS out of London, UK | Sofia, BG | Nuremberg, DE | NYC, US and LA, US. Cheap Dedicated servers with fast delivery!

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Provider

For some reasons, the UI looks same-same as Vultr for me. :D

Hyonix — affordable licensed Windows VPS / CA, TX, VA, UK / Hyper-V Based / Enterprise NVMe / Unmetered Bandwidth.

Wanna try out? Our packages start from $6.5/m and we got your back with our 7-days money back guarantee!

• feezioxiii said: For some reasons, the UI looks same-same as Vultr for me

And it's good. Vultr UI is the most intuitive as far as I come across. Less clicks to achieve results. Hetzner comes close. Linode is the most horrible

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Provider

@LTniger said:

feezioxiii said: For some reasons, the UI looks same-same as Vultr for me

And it's good. Vultr UI is the most intuitive as far as I come across. Less clicks to achieve results. Hetzner comes close. Linode is the most horrible

Linode launched a new cloud manager, better than the old one.

ExonHost - Reliable Web Hosting Service Provider | Managed SSD Xen VPS | OpenVZ VPS
    ResellWays - Budget Shared Hosting & Reseller Hosting
  • @ExonHost said:
    Linode launched a new cloud manager, better than the old one.

still better the old panel you can export a to csv, simple table of server list.

when you had more than 50 server you'll notice something wrong with their latest panel

We only support unsupported OS!

• Hello-MarcHello-Marc Member, Provider

Any news on this.. have given any idea on dates ... testing ... pricing ... anything other than a sexy holding page? GL

Hello 👋🏻

• sudorangersudoranger Member
    edited May 2019

@Hello-Marc said:
    Any news on this.. have given any idea on dates ... testing ... pricing ... anything other than a sexy holding page? GL

Nope. But one feeling-strong police forum will close this thread for allegedly necro-ing.

• Tr33nTr33n Member

@Hello-Marc said:

I received following newsletter one week ago:

Technology is radically changing many aspects of daily life, as the digitization of processes and tasks is transforming the way we manage virtual infrastructure, virtual machines and applications by leveraging them into the cloud. The customers of 2020 will be more informed and in charge of the experience they demand. They will expect hosting companies to anticipate their individual needs and customize the experience.

At solus.io we see the hosting industry going through rapid change. Not only do we want to understand and anticipate this change, we want to impact it.
    Why solus.io?

We will take the complexities out of virtual infrastructure management by offering blazing fast, on-demand VMs, a simple API and an easy-to-use self-service control panel for customers on top of a powerful administration control panel for service providers.

You'll be amazed at how fast and easy your customers can build cloud servers. The setup of the solus.io platform is super quick and painless.

Here are three reasons to consider solus.io:

1. Simple and easy-to-use UI

The controls of the popular cloud providers make you feel like you’re in a jet cockpit. There are way too many knobs, dials, switches, and levers to deal with. solus.io’s user interface is super simple, but feature packed. There's just enough links and buttons that give you access to the available functionality.
    solus.io Interface

This doesn’t mean the platform lacks functionality. It does have everything it takes to deploy and manage virtual machines on the fly. It comes with an intuitive user interface to control all of your virtual servers. Create, resize, rebuild and snapshot with single clicks. An experience designed around the user instead of technology.

1. Automation and Integration

For automation and integration with 3rd party tools, solus.io exposes a simple but fully featured, modern REST API incorporating role based access - designed for cloud service providers, their resellers and end-customers.

1. Features & Performance

solus.io’s simplicity doesn’t come at the cost of performance. Open-source KVM, high-density OpenVZ with it’s premium features or even cloud computing? With its admin user interface you are able to keep control of all your servers.

..there’s more in the pipeline, we’ll keep you updated!

Stay tuned!

Screenshot of the screenshots inside the mail: https://imgur.com/a/N0QLdX7

@Tr33n Thanks 👍🏻

Hello 👋🏻

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Provider

Ofc, they are Plesking the shit out of the UI. lol. I mean, I personally like the Plesk UI, but still makes me laugh a bit.

Tab Fitts | Founder/CEO - Spry Servers
    SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG ||1-844-799-HOST (4678)

@SpryServers_Tab said:
    Ofc, they are Plesking the shit out of the UI. lol. I mean, I personally like the Plesk UI, but still makes me laugh a bit.

It looks clean from the preview images, and Plesk UI is tidy :) just hope it works about time a good VPS panel comes to market that doesn't look dated. GL

Thanked by 1SpryServers_Tab

Hello 👋🏻

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@SpryServers_Tab said:

Plesk all the shit.

Thanked by 1SpryServers_Tab

lurking in the shadows like a wombat or some shit

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Provider

@Hello-Marc said:

@SpryServers_Tab said:

It looks clean from the preview images, and Plesk UI is tidy :) just hope it works about time a good VPS panel comes to market that doesn't look dated. GL

Agreed. I'm definitely crossing my fingers. I must say, after Plesk became it's own company, the product has improved significantly. I do have hope for SolusVM for the first time in a long time.

Tab Fitts | Founder/CEO - Spry Servers
    SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG ||1-844-799-HOST (4678)

• jordynegen11jordynegen11 Member
    edited May 2019

They promised us "SolusVM 2.0" for like 3 years... I'm not taking this serious.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Provider

@sudoranger said:

@Hello-Marc said:

Nope. But one feeling-strong police forum will close this thread for allegedly necro-ing.

Necroing is fine here if the topic is still relevant, which it is in this case.

Thanked by 2alexvolk trewq
  • @joepie91 said:

@sudoranger said:

@Hello-Marc said:

Necroing is fine here if the topic is still relevant, which it is in this case.

Relevant topic.

Bullshit.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/156563/whats-the-most-lightweight-server-side-language-for-mysql-server#latest

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/156202/looking-for-coders#latest

This isn't Solus Support Ticket but I know what is irrelevant or not.

• jackbjackb Member, Provider
    edited May 2019

@jordynegen11 said:
    They promised us "SolusVM 2.0" for like 3 years... I'm not taking this serious.

OnApp were dragging their feet. Plesk aren't and Phill is still involved, so I think solusvm2 will actually happen this time.

@sudoranger

Not really - I think what you're missing is the key point "is anyone else likely interested in further discussion on the topic". The two threads you necro'd don't have that - if OP didn't get their answer, they would have followed up. With the next version of solusvm there is a very large number of providers and a decent number of end users who take interest in updates on this and it is very much still an ongoing topic.

Afterburst - Awesome OpenVZ&KVM VPS in US+EU

• @sudoranger said:

How much developing SolusVM alternative will cost? Less than $1 this time?

Oh, sorry because Plesta (Solus)/ Softaculous (Virtualizor) will find this thread and buy them thus killing all potential startups. Haters will disagree.

Always trying to be negative ^^.

• These 2 idiots quoting my last sentence without trying to understand what it meant towards the previous reply.

The thread was closed before people even have the chance to show interest. Now that's bias and power abuse. My replies were also follow-ups for the OP and "relevant".

And what is this shit @alexvolk doing and replying in all my posts. I'm not even talking to you. Go find attention somewhere else. You are bringing other argument into this thread which has nothing to do with OP questions. Hijacking another thread just to pick a fight? You have serious mental problem. $1 to develop SolusVM doesn't make any sense at all. What's your point? No idea what to pick then he about stop making yourself look stupid eveywhere n take your PMS pills.

Thanked by 2alexvolk BlaZe