Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is BitMitigate?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is BitMitigate?

So while looking for alternatives to Cloudflare i stumbled this mysterious but highly interesting BitMitigate CDN/DDoS protection/thingy that promises free DDoS protection up to 1TB/s.

It looks like the CEO is a guy the same age as me that behaves like a markov chain on his twitter profile:

It also looks like it's protecting the daily stormer: https://news.avclub.com/dumb-20-year-old-is-the-daily-stormer-s-new-savior-1798346211

So I tried signing up to check how the service worked. Everything is very straight forward.
You enter an email, a password, and you get redirected to the login page. That's it, no verification whatsoever.

And now you have access to this beauty:

Okay, the webpanel is really straightforward. Just three pages and a contact form.
You can create API keys, but I wasn't able to find any documentation on how to use them.
Non-web services apparently lets you rent IPs that are protected by DDoS, but I'm not interested by that so I'll just add a new website.

You need to specify a domain, an origin (that can be on any port) and wait for DNS to propagate. After that, you get access to another management page with quite a lot of interesting functions.

However, after playing around for sometime i noticed something about the ip...

What? Is this guy just proxying stuff for free through a couple of BuyVM slices and calling it a day?

Really interested by this as it looks like it could be better than CF price-wise (lets you use your own ssl!) but it all sounds and looks sketchy.

Comments

• Well, wasn't expecting this.. :(

• edfoxedfox Member

@sanvit said:
    Well, wasn't expecting this.. :(

Try again, it happened to me too.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2019

Nick Lim is the guy who DOS attacked Trump's website and tweeted a video of himself doing it to him, before realizing that he'd technically broken US federal law many months later, so he took it down.

He is someone who likes to talk a big game and not follow through. One of his businesses he signed up here and, if I recall, claimed it to be capable of tanking the largest DOS attacks in history (as though cloudflare might struggle, but he's got this solo right out of college). I signed up once for the site and gave him a chance. Paid, never activated (don't recall what this looked like, it's been a long time), had to do a PayPal claim and let the clock run out because it all seemed to be abandoned to the point that an automation failure would never be fixed.

All I know about Nick Lim for sure is that he's not someone I'd want to do business with. Reminded me so much of old Johnny.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

edfox said: What? Is this guy just proxying stuff for free through a couple of BuyVM slices and calling it a day?

>

Yes.

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2019

If you want a reasonably priced one, with a decent global network, free ssl, including the ability to bring your own SSL, try Comodo's cWatch.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • @jar said:
    Nick Lim is the guy who DOS attacked Trump's website and tweeted a video of himself doing it to him, before realizing that he'd technically broken US federal law many months later, so he took it down.

He is someone who likes to talk a big game and not follow through. One of his businesses he signed up here and, if I recall, claimed it to be capable of tanking the largest DOS attacks in history (as though cloudflare might struggle, but he's got this solo right out of college). I signed up once for the site and gave him a chance. Paid, never activated (don't recall what this looked like, it's been a long time), had to do a PayPal claim and let the clock run out because it all seemed to be abandoned to the point that an automation failure would never be fixed.

All I know about Nick Lim for sure is that he's not someone I'd want to do business with. Reminded me so much of old Johnny.

+1. Another thing to add is that he has no clue how to deploy secure applications. I wouldn’t store data with a company whose login form used to let me send an unlimited # of login requests to “check_login.php” (tl;dr don’t use a password you care about on Limmy’s craptastic service).

Also, I mirrored the tweet’s video (thanks @jar!) for everyone’s viewing pleasure:

http://cdn.dawgy.pw/nicklim.mp4

lol

• Hackermannnn

• edfoxedfox Member

How stupid do you have to be to need a script for three sentences

Thanked by 1dedotatedwam
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited March 2019

There are several things in life that knows no boundaries.

One: Stupidity
    Two: Debt
    Three: Men's desire for sex
    Four: PMS
    Five: The end

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited March 2019

@edfox The best part is that he didn't really take it down -- he saturated his own connection.

:P

• @SpryServers_Tab said:
    If you want a reasonably priced one, with a decent global network, free ssl, including the ability to bring your own SSL, try Comodo's cWatch.

Thanks for this! 9.90 a month for DDOS protection including Layer 7 and a CDN is pretty good deal for a single website with unlimited subdomains. I don't think I will be DDOSed but at this price point it is a very attractive insurance and worth considering, especially for small businesses.

• @doghouch said:
    @edfox The best part is that he didn't really take it down -- he saturated his own connection.

This is really fucking funny.

• This kid and his websites are an absolute joke. He is known for other junk "DDoS Protected" WAF websites such as Athena Layer in the past that he created using Google Cloud servers, racking up $500+ in fees because he boasted about the DDoS protection and managed to get the servers taken offline by people to prove him wrong then closes the websites due to lack of funding. He has also ran under a brand called "OrcaTech" which was sketchy too with the same BS lies he always spews. Be aware of his new brand out called "Epik."

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • So, basically InfoWagen's long lost brother.

poisson said: including Layer 7

Layer 8 and 9 too.

Thanked by 3eol uptime poisson
  • Is this a shill?

There is saying don't judge people by its past. Shame on you guys.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2019

@yokowasis said:
    Is this a shill?

There is saying don't judge people by its past. Shame on you guys.

There's also a saying 'leopards don't change their spots'

Admittedly, a lot of folk do change. I don't think this guy has yet.

• edfoxedfox Member

@yokowasis said:
    Is this a shill?

Who's a shill?

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited March 2019

@edfox said:

@yokowasis said:
    Is this a shill?

Who's a shill?

The shiller

Shiller gonna shill

Thanked by 1eol
  • poisson said: Thanks for this! 9.90 a month for DDOS protection including Layer 7 and a CDN is pretty good deal for a single website with unlimited subdomains.

Seems like their free plan offers the same DDOS protection & CDN. Might be worth trying.

• edfoxedfox Member

@datanoise said:

Seems like their free plan offers the same DDOS protection & CDN. Might be worth trying.

Can i have a link to that? I could only find the 249€/year endpoint protection thingy

• Hi Everyone, it's Nick Lim from BitMitigate here. This article is one of the most blatantly obvious shills I have ever seen in my life - but I am sure this is clear to anyone not part of the shill anyway. It's incredible how some people allocate their time when driven by jealousy.

But for those who want to actually know what BitMitigate is: BitMitigate is a CDN, DDoS Mitigation, WAF, and website management system that protects tens of thousands of websites around the world. Including some of the most highest traffic and controversial websites. We have a proven commitment of reliability and trust no matter who doesn't like your content.

We don't just put content closer to the user, we rewrite the entire source code of your website on the fly to make it faster.

Furthermore we have a proprietary WAF that blocks 99% of cyber attacks and allows you to configure your own rules right in the cloud.

We are currently expanding rapidly and will have over 10 POPs soon around the world.

BitMitigate offers all of the features + more of any competitor at just a fraction of the cost.

For those curious about what BitMitigate is all I about I suggest that you try it for yourself for free!

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email: [email protected]

• @BitMitigate said:
    Hi Everyone, it's Nick Lim from BitMitigate here. This article is one of the most blatantly obvious shills I have ever seen in my life - but I am sure this is clear to anyone not part of the shill anyway. It's incredible how some people allocate their time when driven by jealousy.

But for those who want to actually know what BitMitigate is: BitMitigate is a CDN, DDoS Mitigation, WAF, and website management system that protects tens of thousands of websites around the world. Including some of the most highest traffic and controversial websites. We have a proven commitment of reliability and trust no matter who doesn't like your content.

We don't just put content closer to the user, we rewrite the entire source code of your website on the fly to make it faster.

Furthermore we have a proprietary WAF that blocks 99% of cyber attacks and allows you to configure your own rules right in the cloud.

We are currently expanding rapidly and will have over 10 POPs soon around the world.

BitMitigate offers all of the features + more of any competitor at just a fraction of the cost.

For those curious about what BitMitigate is all I about I suggest that you try it for yourself for free!

Can you list the 10 PoPs please?

• BitMitigateBitMitigate Member
    edited March 2019

@sanvit said:

@BitMitigate said:
    Hi Everyone, it's Nick Lim from BitMitigate here. This article is one of the most blatantly obvious shills I have ever seen in my life - but I am sure this is clear to anyone not part of the shill anyway. It's incredible how some people allocate their time when driven by jealousy.

Can you list the 10 PoPs please?

LA, Miami, Ashburn, London, Amsterdam, Bucharest, Frankfurt, Vienna, Hong Kong, and Hillsboro

So we will have pretty exceptional global connectivity and performance!

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • BitMitigate said: LA, Miami, Ashburn, London, Amsterdam, Bucharest, Frankfurt, Vienna, Hong Kong, and Hillsboro

No love for SG? AU?

• imokimok Member

Almost all connections rejected since the beginning. Target was already blocked/unreachable?

• @datanoise said:

Just checked. The free plan offers CDN and DDOS protection sans Layer 7. Pretty generous, although I am not sure how it performs relative to the other more famous free provider.

• @poisson said:

@datanoise said:

Just checked. The free plan offers CDN and DDOS protection sans Layer 7. Pretty generous, although I am not sure how it performs relative to the other more famous free provider.

Yes that is correct! Even the free plan will get you the primary benefits. The paid plans are really targeted for those power users who want the utmost control.

BTW: Our new expanded network should be going online today and we are adding about 100k more websites via a partnership with a website parking company.

For those of you who want superior configurability and even performance to CloudFlare ( run some load tests and see ) - we highly recommend you switch to BitMitigate.

You won't have that "CloudFlare is checking your browser" notice every time someone goes to your website either.

And for those privacy minded folks, don't forget that CloudFlare started as Project Honeypot which is actually an ongoing operation.

This discussion has been closed.