Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare Stream another nonsenses CDN pricing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare Stream another nonsenses CDN pricing

inklightinklight Member
edited March 2019 in Providers

previously I discuss this topic comparing having your own VPS/CDN or rent it from one of big provider e.g bunny CDN Amazon AWS , and figure out renting dedicated port will save me 3-4 times CDN cost .
But yeah Cloudflare since while start offering it own CND steaming service .
Even having multiple CDN servers around the glob is good idea ( less latency buffer etc ) , but the price were way off for me . here it's
Every 1,000 minutes viewed costs $1 per month. Each 1,000 minutes of video stored costs $5 per month
let's assume I have online video site with 5000 visitors/day and each visitor will watch ~12 min
1000 ÷ 12 = 83.3 that 1$ will serve ~83 visitors that means each 1 visitor will cost 0.012$ and 5k visitors 60$/day in month 1800$ 😂
So could I save bandwidth cost using my own server e.g with dedicated 1Gpbs port ! these servers price dependence on provider location e.c (250$-350$) and let assume 1/3 of these visitors will be online on the same time using this 1Gpbs port , if the site using 512 Kbps video quality the bandwidth will be ~ 853000 Kbps 833 Mbits less than network bottleneck , even if the site use 1Mbit video quality it's still 800$ less than Cloudflare Stream .
needles to mention other options like distribution the bandwidth on small VPS's around the world and server the same 5K visitors for about 100$ ,
I reach to 47.5 Mbit once for my online streaming site , on one of cheap NAT VPS sold here , without single issue ( most visitors told me that was most stable broadcast they ever watch compared to all my competitors )

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

Akamai charges orders of magnitude more than this. We've pushed 350Gbps+ during an event, then back down to normal traffic as a spike. This is what it exists for.

• hzr said: We've pushed 350Gbps+ during an event

Yep that's way big number , (Can I ask how such peak would cost )
    but I notice CloudFlare didn't mentioned video bandwidth I could rise it to 12Mbits and bill for the same 512kps videos if they offers these bandwidth their price will be super competitive

• edfoxedfox Member

@hzr said:
    Akamai charges orders of magnitude more than this. We've pushed 350Gbps+ during an event, then back down to normal traffic as a spike. This is what it exists for.

Was EF really this popular?

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2019

So, are you talking about video on demand (that’s what it looks like) or streaming (live broadcasting, OTT)? And what exactly is the point of comparing a service that comes with management, uptime SLA, large capacity and multiple locations + failover to your single or multi-vps deployment?

• bamdbamd Member

Sure you can be a cheapo and always save over prebuilt solutions and even outperform them.

Time is money. Will have many systems to install, monitor, deal with invoicing, etc.

If you build something decent that works on a cheaper scale, then just maybe you have a viable business partially developed. Tune it, polish it, sell to others and then flip it others for big pay day.

Reason why people go with the big proven services? They are proven, some carry certifications that are necessary in the adult world, and end of day no employee is getting fired over daydreams of showing the boss who is smartest guy in the building. Don't forget reporting, management panels, etc. All R&D sunk costs spent.

PS: push high sustained on a shared VPS environment and should expect to see much contention, shaping, abuse flagged service, etc. Unless your provider is IdleNodesVPS (meaning they have idle nodes and empty servers). Pushing this on NAT :) Bahaha, providers are stabbing themselves in the neck right now.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Good luck with your 5k viewers on a single dedicated server at any reasonable quality.

You are paying a premium for a managed premium service, but you know, YouTube is free :)

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    You are paying a premium for a managed premium service, but you know, YouTube is free :)

At least as free as the EU.

• @PUSHR_Victor @AnthonySmith
    I'm discussing ideas here it's not current working project I just want to make hypothesis compressing between the two options I did not prefer one on other @bamd mostly that server were idle and I test that only once so it's not that reliable option .

• hzrhzr Member

PUSHR_Victor said: So, are you talking about video on demand (that’s what it looks like) or streaming (live broadcasting, OTT)? And what exactly is the point of comparing a service that comes with management, uptime SLA, large capacity and multiple locations + failover to your single or multi-vps deployment?

CFStream is not "chunk cdn", it also handles transcode, encode, VAST/ads, etc. It's more like brightcove than bunnycdn