Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex + plexdrive + google drive + serverlatency = related?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex + plexdrive + google drive + serverlatency = related?

Hi all. I got some questions to ask regarding plex, plexdrive and server latency.

I from asian. I have a dedicated at like i3 from online and the latency around 230ms. I plan to install plex for direct playing to my google drive using the plexdrive. I will play original size and disable transcode on plex.

What is your opinion?
Is my streaming will buffer or not?
Is plexdrive is depends on server location or not?
Or plexdrive is just like a middle man to play from google drive?
Is the plexdrive cache on the server affect because the server is far from my location?

Sorry if you dont understand and for the bad English.

Comments

• edited March 2019

Go with singapore located dedi or vps..
    I believe it will blazing fast compare with the one you have at france

Google have many POPs, so all connection from vps/dedi to google drive relative low latency. The issue is latency from your location to plex server.. It would be good if you set your plex server in singapore.

Thanked by 1mrlongshen
  • Thanks for the answer. So it still need a Singapore dedi or vps even I play directly to my google drive using plexdrive?

Sg dedi is expensive. Cant afford it. If vps can.

• Jake4Jake4 Member

It'll depend on your connection and route to the host. If your connection to the server is faster than the maximum bitrate of the videos it should be fine.

( would recommend a 15mbps (or better) stable connection for 10mbps bitrate content )

Thanked by 2mrlongshen vimalware
  • @Jake4 said:
    It'll depend on your connection and route to the host. If your connection to the server is faster than the maximum bitrate of the videos it should be fine.

( would recommend a 15mbps (or better) stable connection for 10mbps bitrate content )

Hi.
    Is this refer to play directly to server? Or also for plexdrive?

• edited March 2019

@mrlongshen said:
    Thanks for the answer. So it still need a Singapore dedi or vps even I play directly to my google drive using plexdrive?

If you does not plan on transcoding, I believe a 1GB plan on vultr/do is sufficient for you..

• Kiwi83Kiwi83 Member
    edited March 2019

Why not just stream your pr0n directly from your storage serher.

You can set up a cheap proxy server if you experienced any long buffering time. I don't know where do you live but I have tested it in China, Japan and South Korea when I was traveling. A proxy server in US west coast always improves the connection speed to my storage server in Europe.

Apart from that you can also use a local video player instead of a web based one to play your videos. Let your computer handle the transcoding. I prefer enabling Nginx indexing on my storage server and drag those links to my video player or simply use the sftp feature built in it.

You can get things done really cheap if you want but using Plex do give you a better overall experience.

• Playing directly from Google Drive shou!d be faster if you don't need PLEX's indexing features

• If you don't need transcoding, just use Kodi, it will play directly from the Google drive , you don't even need a server. Remove the middle man all together.

Thanked by 1hardgamers
  • @mrlongshen said:
    Thanks for the answer. So it still need a Singapore dedi or vps even I play directly to my google drive using plexdrive?

This is true when they still have Plex cloud. Now, not anymore.

You don't play directly from the Google drive. Basically your vps download the movie ,and then you play movie from your vps. If your vps sucks, or slow, or run out of bandwidth, you are screwed.

• coulnd't you just get a singapore VPS from digitalocean for cheap?

• mrlongshenmrlongshen Member
    edited March 2019

@chocolateshirt said:

@mrlongshen said:

If you does not plan on transcoding, I believe a 1GB plan on vultr/do is sufficient for you..

Currently testing with vultr with 1gb. Yeah it can run. But i dont know sometimes it slow and buffer too. I try to play 1080 only. Why ya? Fyi, my home connection is 100mbps

• @Kiwi83 said:
    Why not just stream your pr0n directly from your storage serher.

You can set up a cheap proxy server if you experienced any long buffering time. I don't know where do you live but I have tested it in China, Japan and South Korea when I was traveling. A proxy server in US west coast always improves the connection speed to my storage server in Europe.

Apart from that you can also use a local video player instead of a web based one to play your videos. Let your computer handle the transcoding. I prefer enabling Nginx indexing on my storage server and drag those links to my video player or simply use the sftp feature built in it.

You can get things done really cheap if you want but using Plex do give you a better overall experience.

1st. I dont save pron on my google drive. I prefer pronhub lol.

2nd. I Dont know how to setup proxy server. Im from Malaysia. Is it hard? And it will cost more?

3rd. Yeah. I have online dedi and the storage is big

4th. I want to use plex just becauss my smart tv have plex.

• @sanvit said:
    Playing directly from Google Drive shou!d be faster if you don't need PLEX's indexing features

I need it. I want to play on my smart tv

• @yokowasis said:
    If you don't need transcoding, just use Kodi, it will play directly from the Google drive , you don't even need a server. Remove the middle man all together.

I have use kodi. I have to setup plex because i want to watch at my smart tv. My smart tv doesn't support kodi.

• @yokowasis said:

@mrlongshen said:

This is true when they still have Plex cloud. Now, not anymore.

You don't play directly from the Google drive. Basically your vps download the movie ,and then you play movie from your vps. If your vps sucks, or slow, or run out of bandwidth, you are screwed.

Never experience plex cloud. How it working?
    The limitation of vps is the storage is small. I have try on vultr sg to run plex directly access my files. It works and fast.

• Why not moung Google Drive on your computer and run PLEX locally?

• @wantvpsinseychelles said:
    coulnd't you just get a singapore VPS from digitalocean for cheap?

Yes friend. I'm using vultr.. Its cheap too

• edited March 2019

@mrlongshen said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@mrlongshen said:

Currently testing with vultr with 1gb. Yeah it can run. But i dont know sometimes it slow and buffer too. I try to play 1080 only. Why ya? Fyi, my home connection is 100mbps

You should check your configuration. In my case, PLEX load 1080p movies with 3 Mbps bitrate after 4 seconds. And 1080p movies with 10 Mbps bitrate load after 7 seconds. There are no buffering. My home connection is 15 down / 3 up Mbps.

I don't know your case or your configuration. There are lot of plex guideline and optimization on internet. You should google it.

• @sanvit said:
    Why not moung Google Drive on your computer and run PLEX locally?

Never heard this.
    How to do it? I just know how plexdrive work.
    I need to claim the server. I want to play it on my smart tv.

• @chocolateshirt said:

@mrlongshen said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@mrlongshen said:

You should check your configuration. In my case, PLEX load 1080p movies with 3 Mbps bitrate after 4 seconds. And 1080p movies with 10 Mbps bitrate load after 7 seconds. My home connection is 15 down / 3 up Mbps.

I don't know your case or your configuration. There are lot of plex guideline and optimization on internet. You should google it.

I disable plex convert automatically. If i set convert automatically if will transcode and I see the vps cpu is hurt 100%

I set play originally.

Is movie size effect the performance when playing movies?

• @mrlongshen said:

@yokowasis said:
    If you don't need transcoding, just use Kodi, it will play directly from the Google drive , you don't even need a server. Remove the middle man all together.

I have use kodi. I have to setup plex because i want to watch at my smart tv. My smart tv doesn't support kodi.

What brand and type of your smart TV?

• What kind of smart TV that can't install kodi on it.

That is not smart. That is stupid.

Thanked by 2eol hardgamers
  • hacktekhacktek Member
    edited March 2019

If it's just for you set up plex locally and mount the drive with rclone. You will go to the closest google DC which will likely be much faster than a server in france. On top of that if you plan to disable transcoding you should be able to run plex on a raspberry pi or something similar (and the pi would also be able to run rclone to mount the drive).

One issue I foresee is that, depending on the size of your library plex might take a long time to scan locally as your connection (and server device, if you use a pi) will be much slower than something set up in a DC somewhere. If you can live without metadata I'd disable that so make scanning faster.

Thanked by 1mrlongshen
  • Grab an HDMI cable and use your Smart TV as a big monitor. Problem solved!

• eoleol Member

Butt the input lag?

• @eol said:
    Butt the input lag?

Thanked by 1eol
  • Plex has a Windows version. Install it in your computer with a software that can mount Google Drive. Set the library folder to your mounted Google Drive. Or use rpi

• @yokowasis said:
    What kind of smart TV that can't install kodi on it.

That is not smart. That is stupid.

LoL. hahahahahaha

@hardgamers said:

@mrlongshen said:

@yokowasis said:

What brand and type of your smart TV?

LG

• @Kiwi83 said:
    Grab an HDMI cable and use your Smart TV as a big monitor. Problem solved!

No ! haha. Dont want to use my laptop.

• @sanvit said:
    Plex has a Windows version. Install it in your computer with a software that can mount Google Drive. Set the library folder to your mounted Google Drive. Or use rpi

How to do that ?
    I need more information on this.
    This is something new I just know from you.