Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Successfully re-installed a NanoKVM machine to Debian 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Successfully re-installed a NanoKVM machine to Debian 9

With only SSH access (since there's no VNC provided).

@Neoon Is it legal on your service?

Share my experience for other users' convenience?

Comments

• ehabehab Member

would be nice to know such tricks? please PM :)

• @ehab said:
    would be nice to know such tricks? please PM :)

It's just booting the Debian Installer with GRUB.

But since it's a little bit complicated, I need some time to write a readable/understandable guide.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Use this method:

https://www.danpros.com/2016/02/how-to-install-centos-7-remotely-using-vnc

Install CentOS 7 to a 1GB partition, boot in to CentOS 7, create a new partition, dd a debian 9 install over to it, update the grub menu to boot to debian 9, done.

Thanked by 3ehab jureve uptime
  • ehabehab Member

wow Ant, never seen that before.... This Linux world universe keeps life interesting.

... and now you are going to make me try it :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2019

@ehab I have tried it myself a few years back, it is a bit fiddly depending on what you are starting from, if you have CentOS 6 to begin with it makes life very easy.

I was considering making a multi boot OS image with no grub timer so people boot to a grub menu when they buy a VPS and then pick their OS of choice and continue on with their own install they way they want it rather than template driven.

yet another project that fell off the radar sadly..

Thanked by 2ehab poisson
  • ehabehab Member

i started using gpxe/ipxe , netboot.xyz but in some cases like this one i can't be done without vnc unless i have well scripts that can run blind.

• @ehab said:
    i started using gpxe/ipxe , netboot.xyz but in some cases like this one i can't be done without vnc unless i have well scripts that can run blind.

So I wrote a script to generate preseed file which can automate the installation process.
    Which OS are you using currently on it? I started the re-installation from Ubuntu 16.04

• the main installation work is done by Debian Installer with preseed file
    if GRUB can boot alpine in the same way as Debian
    then maybe it can be done

but anyway, it requires a lot of research and experiment to build the "magic"

• ehabehab Member

can you please share your preseed file , if you want via pm

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Should be fine, as long you not setup a 2GB swap file.

• @Neoon said:
    Should be fine, as long you not setup a 2GB swap file.

I set 0 for swap haha

Thanked by 1eol
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Also since v4 goes over DHCP and v6 goes over route advertisement you could install any OS and network will work fine.