Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Box limits
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Box limits

MatBMatB Member

I'm running a small website on a VPS from SolvedByData Halloween Special from last year:

2GB VPS
2x 3.20 GHz CPU
2GB RAM
40GB SSD Storage
Unmetered Bandwidth
100Mbps
OpenVZ/SolusVM
New York or Los Angeles
$29/yr

All has been until recently where it's being shut down almost every night. I'm struggling to track down the cause, having removed all cronjobs, etc. But ultimately, based on a support query CPU load is too high at some point:

"When reach the limit of taken high cpu usage your vps from our host server. Our host running script suddenly stopped without any log. So keep average cpu usage from our host server."

As they hard shutdown I've got few logs to track it down.

I'm getting to the point of shifting elsewhere, but wondering what I can do to avoid repeating the problem:

• Do OpenVZ and KVM handle high-CPU load differently? If it just ran slowly I would mind less than keeling over.
  • Is this provider-specific? How do I choose one that would handle this situation much better?
  • How do I scale appropriately? It's just a small Django website but I would like to run some processing jobs via cron in due course, they don't need to run particularly quickly. I thought the above spec would suffice. I'm tempted to pay a little more for a robust UK provider, but don't want to over-spend.

Comments

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited March 2019

instead of struggling to track down the cause. you should try to track down colocrossing scammers.

All colocrossing sellers have been known to @eol less than 1 year. Because they have new shitty company name next year. SolvedByData, hostmybytes, hiformance, @deank Hosting, HostFlyte, Upbeat Hosting, UMaxHosting!!!

Thanked by 4MatB eol coreflux poisson
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited March 2019

wtf they oversold their shit, then they told you that you're using too much of their oversold cpu ?

Thanked by 2eol poisson
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

Seems too much cpu overselling and this can be pretty bad!

• MatBMatB Member

@Jack said:
    We do a £4/mo KVM special which should suit your requirements of spec, you generally don’t see the same noisy neighbour issues with KVM as you do with OpenVZ.

I reckon I could get with your £15/yr deal, although a bit of headroom is not a bad thing.

• MatBMatB Member

Oh, I was looking at your website, not the LEB-KVM-special deal on here which is presumably the one you meant. Duh.

• OVZ is trash. I always get high load notifications from monitors on untouched idling OpenVZ boxes I keep around. If a bad neighbor is acting up, it will affect you, and it will make it seem like other boxes are also having high load.

Get KVM. But keep in mind that it won't save you if your host is overselling a ton like AlphaRacks.

• If you are running a small website, I say you charge back these scammers and go with someone more reliable. I can recommend WisHosting for their rock solid KVMs (definitely no overselling) as I have been using them for a while. Check out this plan from them:

1 vCPU core Xeon E5-2680v2
    Unlimited CPU core 3.1GHz Turbo
    2GB EC RAM
    20GB SSD
    Linux/Windows OS
    Bandwith 250Mbps
    Traffic 2TB
    1 IPv4
    Private neworking
    Location - Phoenx, Arizona
    Setup time up to 24 hours

If you pay every quarterly, it's 10 dollars, which works out to be 40 dollars a year. Marginally higher than what you have now, but exponentially fewer frustration and headaches.

• @MatB, this might help your decision to move away from SBD.
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2952457