Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NanoKVM | Free NAT KVM | Multiple Locations - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NanoKVM | Free NAT KVM | Multiple Locations

Comments

• williewillie Member

No browser history from that far back. It gets cleared when I close the browser. It was a few days between posting the request and deployment, so info may have expired in the meantime?

Added: PM received, thanks!

• williewillie Member

Is there a way to reinstall the OS? I've slightly borked an upgrade. Thanks.

• maybe get a free google server instead

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

Well, I upgraded from Debian 9 to 10, then found the Hestia installer doesn't know about 10 and complains. I can look into patching it but reinstall would be easier since I haven't done anything else on the vm yet. I wonder if I can downgrade by changing apt-sources and apt-get update etc. I doubt it though.

Ok I'll see about patching Hestia if there's no way to reinstall through the dashboard. I don't want to bother Neeon for a manual reinstall.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@willie said:
    Well, I upgraded from Debian 9 to 10, then found the Hestia installer doesn't know about 10 and complains. I can look into patching it but reinstall would be easier since I haven't done anything else on the vm yet. I wonder if I can downgrade by changing apt-sources and apt-get update etc. I doubt it though.

Ok I'll see about patching Hestia if there's no way to reinstall through the dashboard. I don't want to bother Neeon for a manual reinstall.

Its basically 3 clicks for me, takes maybe 20s to get it redeployed.
    Thats not the issue, because the panel has been designed with security first, the user friendliness suffers a bit.

The user needs admin like permissions and this would be a security risk.
    It would break the hole concept of locking down access on all sides.

TLDR: You could get a database dump and it would be useless to you, you could not do anything with it. If you get inside a SolusVM master, you be fucked big time.

If you need a reinstall, send me a pm or email (stop the vm, send a email to request a reinstall and I do it fast).

• hjlowhjlow Member

this is bad design since many people make the same mistake and the responses are the same, you guys don't get tired of it?

edited July 2019

@hjlow said:
    this is bad design since many people make the same mistake and the responses are the same, you guys don't get tired of it?

Is that now because you disqualified yourself for not getting a VM?
    Every post you do here, is mostly against the project.

Its not bad design, it says clearly what you have do to.

Thanked by 2Ouji t0m
  • hjlowhjlow Member

but the reality is a good percentage of people fail, but hey its not my time :)

• It will serve as a backup for my personal website. Toke:n:: - 689cd13db4c19aa484c9fd69057e14a7d606ed81

• donlidonli Member

@vanecortez said:
    It will serve as a backup for my personal website. Toke:n:: - 689cd13db4c19aa484c9fd69057e14a7d606ed81

The Requirements to get one

Existing account since 6 months, here on Lowendtalk
    Active account (you need to have a decent amount of recent posts)
    You need to have 50 posts before you apply

• williewillie Member

Neoon said: Its not bad design, it says clearly what you have do to.

I have to agree that the design could use improvement, since multiple experienced users have been caught out. We use RAID storage because we know that disk drives aren't all that reliable. Humans are even less reliable than disk drives so software systems are better off if they take that into account ;).

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@donli said:
    The Requirements to get one

Add basic english reading skills.

• @willie @hjlow It's fascinating how critical everyone is over a design that provides detailed instructions. Lest you forget- its a free service. This mountain of complaints has never been accompanied by an offer to create a new design or assist with other aspects of the free service. Yet another example of accumulate, not participate, and pontificate . You don't like the FREE service login- go pay for a service elsewhere.

• williewillie Member

TinFoil2019 said: Lest you forget- its a free service.

The actual resources are provided by sponsors who aren't responsible for the design. Also, I'm happy to help with the software if Neeon wants assistance (but he seems to be taking care of it ok). My comments about the design are from one programmer to another, and usually, programmers do like to talk about this type of stuff.

edited July 2019

@hjlow said:
    but the reality is a good percentage of people fail, but hey its not my time :)

I lost more time in the discussion with you.

@willie said:

Neoon said: Its not bad design, it says clearly what you have do to.

I have to agree that the design could use improvement, since multiple experienced users have been caught out. We use RAID storage because we know that disk drives aren't all that reliable. Humans are even less reliable than disk drives so software systems are better off if they take that into account ;).

The standard is, getting stuff via email.
    The bad standard is, sending the PASSWORD inside the email.
    The even worse standard is, the mailserver is not even trying to handshake a secured connection, I saw that multiple times.

At least the hosts I poked fixed it.
    Do we send a email? no, you get a unique uri, TLS 1.2 forced, good cypherus, all good.

The issue is, users have the standard, getting all stuff by mail.
    What NanoKVM does is not a standard, its different.
    That does not mean, its bad by design, its just different.

We could, add additional email box, which can be filled and you get a email after register to confirm it + when the request was accepted.

Its also kind of an IQ test, you do not enter any email and you expect a email + ignoring the text that explains you to bookmark it.
    It was not intended as IQ test.

@TinFoil2019 said:
    @willie @hjlow It's fascinating how critical everyone is over a design that provides detailed instructions. Lest you forget- its a free service. This mountain of complaints has never been accompanied by an offer to create a new design or assist with other aspects of the free service. Yet another example of accumulate, not participate, and pontificate . You don't like the FREE service login- go pay for a service elsewhere.

Well critics are welcome but not complaining like like @hjlow nah.

@willie said:

TinFoil2019 said: Lest you forget- its a free service.

The actual resources are provided by sponsors who aren't responsible for the design. Also, I'm happy to help with the software if Neeon wants assistance (but he seems to be taking care of it ok). My comments about the design are from one programmer to another, and usually, programmers do like to talk about this type of stuff.

The sponsors have nothing to do with that.
    If you like I could setup a git repo, but you need a running proxmox instance for more or less for testing stuff.

• williewillie Member

Thing is there were some months between signing up for the account and requesting this KVM (account was created at the time of the RO servers a while back), so I don't remember whether I gave an email address or not (if you say I didn't, I believe you) or any other instructions given at that time. Also it's typical to have some way to access the VM through the dashboard. And part of the challenge of programming secure systems is being able to retain and use private info while keeping it safe. Immediately throwing away the info is somewhat ducking the challenge. :)

Possible improvements:

1) it would be nice to have a way to upload an ssh public key to the account, that would be preinstalled on the newly deployed server. I think in Debian 10, the sshd is configured by default to not allow password login at all, so unless there is a VNC or the config is changed, pubkey upload may become necessary.

2) An alternative really dumb step would be add a checkbox saying the person has saved the password, and maybe unload event confirming that the box is checked before closing the tab. Having a vigilance or "IQ" test as part of the process is against user expectations since people are used to be able to get back to where they were in an interface. So especially in a process they've already done many times, they are not on their toes. See "principle of least astonishment" as a general UI guideline.

3) If you are paranoid about storing server passwords in plaintext but want to be able to keep them available in the web interface, one trick I like is to store them encrypted with a key based on a hash of the user's web account password, which you can save in a browser cookie so it's accessible during the login session without your having to store it on the server. I can go into more detail about how to do that if you want. It means that the server password can't be recovered unless the user is logged in, or their password is brute forced.

The sponsors have nothing to do with that.

Right, what I meant about sponsors was just that they are the ones supplying the hardware and hosting, while you're supplying the UI and administration.

Anyway, I don't mind supplying some coding help if you want it, but the suggestions are simple enough that maybe it's enough to just post them here.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • williewillie Member

I see there is an haproxy tab and I entered a domain name, but I don't see how to configure the proxy to point to a NAT port. Any info? Thanks.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

Welp. Im stupid. I bookmarked the token page, but now it's blank/expired. You can nuke my VPS @Neoon .

• Token: abbe72b5c72455ce39edfd38dc0fb48dd20d8aed

Nextcloud for my backups. can have additional storage. Thanks!

edited July 2019

@willie said:
    I see there is an haproxy tab and I entered a domain name, but I don't see how to configure the proxy to point to a NAT port. Any info? Thanks.

HAProxy feature is currently only available in CA and only with HTTP, not HTTPS.
    It generates a new config for the haproxy which is updated hourly, and it will forward automatically traffic to your VM if you add a domain/subdomain.

HTTPS should be possible over SNI, so HAProxy wont terminate your TLS connection, so it wont pull a cloudflare. But I did not updated get config generator yet, if anyone has a SNI config working let me know.

@IonSwitch_Stan said:
    Welp. Im stupid. I bookmarked the token page, but now it's blank/expired. You can nuke my VPS @Neoon .

Well, it said it will expire, if the request is accepted, it will expire in about 2 weeks, instead in 4 days.
    2 Weeks should be enough, to save the credentials and start using the VPS.

@skizoid said:
    Token: abbe72b5c72455ce39edfd38dc0fb48dd20d8aed

Nextcloud for my backups. can have additional storage. Thanks!

Please read the Requirements.

• williewillie Member

Neoon said: It generates a new config for the haproxy which is updated hourly, and it will forward automatically traffic to your VM if you add a domain/subdomain.

Yes, but which port on the VM? I just get 503 error right now. I think my VM is in Canada.

@willie said:

Neoon said: It generates a new config for the haproxy which is updated hourly, and it will forward automatically traffic to your VM if you add a domain/subdomain.

Yes, but which port on the VM? I just get 503 error right now. I think my VM is in Canada.

Well 80, but as I said it takes up 1 hour to update.

• williewillie Member

Ah ok, thanks. Yeah it's been more than an hour (I set it up last night) but didn't know what port number to use. I should have thought of 80 ;).

• How do I re-install OS?

@sayem314 said:
    How do I re-install OS?

Send me a PM and you get it reinstalled fast.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited July 2019

Thanks for doing this!

I'd like to use as my own monitoring server. I will ping from here to my dedicated server's ipv6 addresses about 20 times per hour.

ae3d405e2cfe3c6feb0fc74b92c79c1f23abd0f8

• I shall soon begin competition with you @Neoon

A rise of free tier hosts is here.

• donlidonli Member

@stefeman said:
    I shall soon begin competition with you @Neoon

You need to outdo Neoon then. More ram or a better control panel or more locations.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited July 2019

@donli said:

@stefeman said:

You need to outdo Neoon then. More ram or a better control panel or more locations.

How about double the resources and public IPv4 + Custom ISO? Unfortunately I don't intend to gather sponsors or involve any money in this (other than my own), so only 1 location.

I will decide on the panel later on.

Thanked by 1Ouji
    edited July 2019

@jon617 said:
    Thanks for doing this!

I'd like to use as my own monitoring server. I will ping from here to my dedicated server's ipv6 addresses about 20 times per hour.

ae3d405e2cfe3c6feb0fc74b92c79c1f23abd0f8

Please read the Requirements, you need 15 recent posts.
    If you meet that, you can apply again.

@stefeman said:

A rise of free tier hosts is here.

I see, you left your wife, wise choice.
    Better spend the money for that than getting drunk in the bar and turn yourself into an alcoholic.

If you need any help on setting it up, let me know.

@donli said:

@stefeman said:

Stable is better then Unstable.