Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trouble enabling a TAP interface on a debian box
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Trouble enabling a TAP interface on a debian box

Hey!

I just got a new VPS to install an openvpn/pi-hole on it, but I'm having trouble finding the TUN interface, it appears in the /dev/net/ folder, but not in "ifconfig -a" or in "ip a".\

I read that it can be activated by using "modprobe tun", but I get this error:

modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:586 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/2.6.32-042stab134.8/modules.dep.bin'

modprobe: FATAL: Module tun not found in directory /lib/modules/2.6.32-042stab134.8

Comments

• On OpenVZ, the host node needs to load modules; you can't.

• Thanks Letzien, I take this to mean that I won't be able to install a VPN with this particular provider?

• Send them a support ticket and ask them to ensure tap/tun modules are enabled on the host node. If they offer it in the control panel, it's probably an oversight from the last kernel update and/or forgot to add to /etc/modules.

• Actually, did you try to cat /dev/net/tun? It might be there.

• I got this:

user@vps:~# cat /dev/net/tun
    cat: /dev/net/tun: File descriptor in bad state

The tun file is there, but I can't get the interface to show up with ip or ifconfig.

• LetzienLetzien Member
    edited March 2019

It looks fine to me; tun doesn't work the same as tap. Try making one.

$ sudo openvpn --mktun --dev tun0
    Mon Mar 18 15:34:55 2019 TUN/TAP device tun0 opened
    Mon Mar 18 15:34:55 2019 Persist state set to: ON

• Hmm, the tutorial I'm following says I should be able to get an IP from the interface, and I was able to follow through fine from my raspberry pi at home. Do you know where I could read up more on this? I can't find much online about this issue.

• LetzienLetzien Member
    edited March 2019

You're supposed to blindly open it, then the device will be made. Check the kernel tree:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/networking/tuntap.txt?id=HEAD

sudo ip tuntap add mode tun dev tun0
    ip addr add 192.168.0.2/24 dev tun0

• Thank you! That did the trick!

It looks fine to me; tun doesn't work the same as tap. Try making one.

$ sudo openvpn --mktun --dev tun0
    Mon Mar 18 15:34:55 2019 TUN/TAP device tun0 opened
    Mon Mar 18 15:34:55 2019 Persist state set to: ON