Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Digital Ocean work with Aereo via a vpn?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does Digital Ocean work with Aereo via a vpn?

I would like to gain access to aereo, has anybody tried if the New York Digital Ocean locations work with Aereo?

There are trial accounts where you can test it for an hour a day.
https://www.aereo.com

Thanks!

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Worth a shot. You'll know pretty quickly. Mine has to spend time detecting my location when I'm in traffic, I imagine they police this pretty heavily because if they don't they will give ammo to the networks that are insanely suggesting that their lawsuits go as far as the Supreme Court.

• jarland said: Worth a shot

:)

• I don't know if they changed it, but you need a NY credit card as well as a NY IP address for aereo to work. You can find cheaper than DigitalOcean however. (But itll likely be colocrossing).

• It's been my experience that all you need (at least to get the free trial) is to spoof your geolocation, which can be done in about 30 seconds using the chrome developer tools.

I haven't signed up for a paid plan, so I don't know about credit cards, but I do know I've successfully watched it from Washington State without a VPN.

• edited October 2013

Spoofing your geolocation no longer works[you can enter the interface but will get stuck when trying to load a stream]. Perhaps a spoofed NY location with any american IP still works - i haven't tested it yet.

Thanks, i was under the impression that only certain parts of New York are covered but it looks like i should be covered with any NY IP.

@WebSearchingPro said:
    I don't know if they changed it, but you need a NY credit card as well as a NY IP address for aereo to work. You can find cheaper than DigitalOcean however. (But itll likely be colocrossing).

This is true. The billing address of your credit card has to match a city that is in the list.

• They might loosen it when law suite is over

@dnwk said:
    They might loosen it when law suite is over

I wish the networks would be less stupid. For the first time in a while I'm watching their commercials on live broadcast and they're....angry?

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited October 2013

@jarland said:
    I wish the networks would be less stupid. For the first time in a while I'm watching their commercials on live broadcast and they're....angry?

the fee those networks collected from cable company is huge. If Aereo can getaway from it, those cable company could too. That's multiple billion dollors.