Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wrong clock on Windows guest running on KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wrong clock on Windows guest running on KVM

levnodelevnode Member

Hi,

I have some Windows guest and they often change to some random clock after a few hours of running even after changing time. I have tried the following test:

• Set VM to use local time as RTC.

• Set Windows guest to use ntp time, enable w32tm service, create a schedule task to run w32tm service each hour.

But the symptom continues. Anyone have ideas how to make it work? Thank you so much.

Comments

• ehabehab Member

did you try setting it to UTC ? what about unchecking update with time server.

if all fails, you can email bill gates off course.

Thanked by 1levnode
  • bcdedit /set USEPLATFORMCLOCK on

Thanked by 2ehab levnode
  • @levnode said:
    Hi,

I have some Windows guest and they often change to some random clock after a few hours of running even after changing time. I have tried the following test:

• Set VM to use local time as RTC.

• Set Windows guest to use ntp time, enable w32tm service, create a schedule task to run w32tm service each hour.

But the symptom continues. Anyone have ideas how to make it work? Thank you so much.

Contact your provider and tell them to fix NTP on their hosts. They should, regardless if you workaround in your servers.

Thanked by 1levnode
  • create file name : patch.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]
    "RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

run and reboot

Thanked by 1levnode
  • @PremiumFast_Net said:
    create file name : patch.reg

run and reboot

It's not a UTC problem. It's getting set to random times. Do people not read OP?

Thanked by 1levnode
  • @TimboJones said:

@PremiumFast_Net said:

run and reboot

It's not a UTC problem. It's getting set to random times. Do people not read OP?

did you try before comment? that's how to fix clock problem in kvm windows.

Thanked by 1levnode
  • PremiumFast_Net said: create file name : patch.reg

run and reboot

It's what I have found out on the internet, but a lot of other people said it's very buggy (and I experienced it also). I am thinking of an 3rd party NTP client to auto sync.

TimboJones said: It's not a UTC problem. It's getting set to random times. Do people not read OP?

I found out that there are 2 separate issues to be exact. The first one is time drift which because the VM relies on interrupt to count time (which I'm working on to resolve). The second one is what @PremiumFast_Net mentioned: The UTC issue for Windows running on Linux KVM.

• @PremiumFast_Net said:

@TimboJones said:

@PremiumFast_Net said:

run and reboot

Holy fuck, you're intent on not reading.

I'm not the OP, so no, I wouldn't try it. Also, I read the fucking OP so I know your reply was a fucking waste of time. You'd end up with just a different, randomly incorrect time.

Again, the problem is not being off by UTC offset. It's said in the fucking OP, RANDOM. If he was off by UTC offset, he would have said so.

I've had this problem. It was resolved by telling provider to enable NTP on host.

• @TimboJones said:

@PremiumFast_Net said:

@TimboJones said:

@PremiumFast_Net said:

run and reboot

I'm not the OP, so no, I wouldn't try it. Also, I read the fucking OP so I know your reply was a fucking waste of time. You'd end up with just a different, randomly incorrect time.

Again, the problem is not being off by UTC offset. It's said in the fucking OP, RANDOM. If he was off by UTC offset, he would have said so.

I've had this problem. It was resolved by telling provider to enable NTP on host.

that's your problem,
    not test before comment, when i send a comment, that's script i'm used for random time in kvm. it's works fine. shut up if don't understand.

• @PremiumFast_Net said:

@TimboJones said:

@PremiumFast_Net said:

@TimboJones said:

@PremiumFast_Net said:

run and reboot

that's your problem,
    not test before comment, when i send a comment, that's script i'm used for random time in kvm. it's works fine. shut up if don't understand.

This is irony. Your posts get worse each time.

• it's up to you, I'm here to help, and it's confirmed @levnode , it works fine.