Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress as a Service ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress as a Service ?

Basically I want to offer my custom wordpress plugin / theme as a service. I want to give my customer access to all as many wordpress feature as possible, except Downloading my custom theme / plugin.

Any suggestion on how to create such as a service ? basically SaaS but with wordpress.

Comments

• You are still at a very hypothetical level. For such a service you will need to have your users install connector plugin that will push/pull data/config from their WP to your app server. You will then process data and send back information/alert/details whatever you want to serve.

Please give some more detail

• @mehargags said:
    You are still at a very hypothetical level. For such a service you will need to have your users install connector plugin that will push/pull data/config from their WP to your app server. You will then process data and send back information/alert/details whatever you want to serve.

I am looking to recreate wordpress.com. I will install and setup the my custom wordpress theme / plugin ON MY SERVER and give them the credential. If I can automate those like wordpress.com, that's a plus.

• yokowasis said: I am looking to recreate wordpress.com. I will install and setup the my custom wordpress theme / plugin ON MY SERVER and give them the credential. If I can automate those like wordpress.com, that's a plus.

If only weren't for those meddling kids at blogger.com...

Thanked by 2eol Wolveix
  • @yokowasis

Yes, hire a competent developer and pay them on time.

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited March 2019

@FlamesRunner said:
    @yokowasis

If you want to do it right, you have to do it yourself. Hiring Offline developer is not an option. I live on a remote area. Hiring online also not possible. Most of the time, online developer, when he finished the job, he just go vanished. So, when I need something to be done, or a bug comes out, I am screwed. If there is anything I hate more than creating an apps, it's debugging other people apps.

I actually has been running this system for a couple of months. Just want to see if there is any insight from fellow let.

My current system right now is create user with admin priveleges minus : account management, themes management , and plugin management. To my understanding, there is no way for the user to download the theme or the plugin. Feel free to prove me wrong. That's the point of this thread. To find a better way to secure my software.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2019

@yokowasis said:

@FlamesRunner said:
    @yokowasis

If you want to do it right, you have to do it yourself. Hiring Offline developer is not an option. I live on a remote area. Hiring online also not possible. Most of the time, online developer, when he finished the job, he just go vanished. So, when I need something to be done, or a bug comes out, I am screwed. If there is anything I hate more than creating an apps, it's debugging other people apps.

I actually has been running this system for a couple of months. Just want to see if there is any insight from fellow let.

My current system right now is create user with admin priveleges minus : account management, themes management , and plugin management. To my understanding, there is no way for the user to download the theme or the plugin. Feel free to prove me wrong. That's the point of this thread. To find a better way to secure my software.

If you use Divi Theme / Builder for wordpress you can use Divi roles on top of WP user roles: https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/divi-resources/how-to-use-the-divi-role-editor-to-prepare-your-site-for-client-handoff

Administrator – Has access to everything. No limitations.

Editor – Has access only to edit all pages, all posts, all comments, all categories, all tags, and all links. Doesn’t have access higher level settings like themes, plugins, or core files.

Author – Only has access to their own posts. This includes editing, uploading photos, and publishing posts.

Contributor – Has access to write and edit their own posts, but not the ability to publish.

Subscriber (follower) – capable of receiving updates and only has the capability to read and comment on posts and pages.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited March 2019

If you want to do it right, there needs to be someone who knows what he is doing.

That can be you or someone else you hire. You can't do everything. Wanting to do everything on your own is the prime recipe for disaster.

Thanked by 3FHR eva2000 coreflux
  • @yokowasis said:

@mehargags said:
    You are still at a very hypothetical level. For such a service you will need to have your users install connector plugin that will push/pull data/config from their WP to your app server. You will then process data and send back information/alert/details whatever you want to serve.

I am looking to recreate wordpress.com. I will install and setup the my custom wordpress theme / plugin ON MY SERVER and give them the credential. If I can automate those like wordpress.com, that's a plus.

Enable WordPress multisite and make sure your plugins compatible with WordPress multisite...

• If this was only 1997 again,it'd be a brilliant plan. Hell, does anyone even use an RSS reader anymore, little alone want to be part of a larger blogosphere that isn't some mental tumblista?

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited March 2019

Oh, gosh, RSS... Haven't seen anyone using it since ... 2002?

Bots still use it though.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Ympker said: Divi Theme

Divi is horrible.

Going back to OP - So you're looking for people to sign up and launch wordpress blogs? I'd either be looking at something like a modified "softaculous installer" or using ansible to launch each wordpress instance.

Unless this is free, create a template which you can re-launch as LXC containers (or similar) - gives users some security and resources for their setup, plus can help automate if there's a template to base off.

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • @deank said:

What is wrong with RSS? I actually like it because I can decide who and what to read instead of Google or Facebook pushing me what their algorithms think I should read

• @Mr_Tom said:

Divi is horrible.

Going back to OP - So you're looking for people to sign up and launch wordpress blogs? I'd either be looking at something like a modified "softaculous installer" or using ansible to launch each wordpress instance.

Unless this is free, create a template which you can re-launch as LXC containers (or similar) - gives users some security and resources for their setup, plus can help automate if there's a template to base off.

I am not using divi.

This is not free. And as of right now, this isn't automate either. I am setting up all the manually. When I am done, I give them the user account.

I am looking the best approach to this situation OR if my method is flawed.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • 1, Use another plugin to restrict user access to plugins and themes
    2, Limit the plugin and theme by domain
    3, make in as an template
    4, write a shell to auto add domain and deploy template and replace database etc, add access to user domain.

• @poisson said:

@deank said:

What is wrong with RSS? I actually like it because I can decide who and what to read instead of Google or Facebook pushing me what their algorithms think I should read

The whole issue with this as people are so used to being spoonfed everything that they don't care to go out and find resources for themselves.

The other issue is that it's becoming very difficult to find people who have both great technology blogs, and they're willing to keep their political beliefs off of them.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @yokowasis said:

@Mr_Tom said:

Divi is horrible.

I am not using divi.

This is not free. And as of right now, this isn't automate either. I am setting up all the manually. When I am done, I give them the user account.

I am looking the best approach to this situation OR if my method is flawed.

If yo set it manually just delete plugin, thene and update menu from wp-admin admin.php