Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which vps more suitable as small Plex server for 1 weekend user?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which vps more suitable as small Plex server for 1 weekend user?

bustersgbustersg Member
edited March 2019 in Help

ovz: 4core/ 6gb ram/ 100gb non-ssd (avg i/o 57.2mb/s)/ 4tb bandwidth @186ms ping
kvm: 2core/ 6gb ram/ 75gb ssd (avg i/o 285mb/s)/ 2tb bandwidth @245ms ping

plex server for ~30x1gb sized movies (>70% 720p)

Comments

• If you only need it for a weekend, try Hertz or Rent-a-Wreck.

• SSD will make the most difference, need to know core speeds for any real comparison on cpu

• eoleol Member

Which answer is more suitable?
    This one:

Or this one:

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

it all depend on how much overselling on the CPU/RAM is happening

numbers dont say anything

4 core vps that is oversold could be easily over performed by 1 core VPS that is not

but usually people who sell KVM are overselling less than openVZ ( generally not a rule)

both disk speeds are more than enough assuming they are consistent

latency will affect your library browsing more than the video view experience unless you are seeking alot

conclusion : you must try both and see which one perform in real settings better as spec numbers are usually useless

• @eol said:
    This one:

Or this one:

That one is better.

Thanked by 2eol reikuzan
  • Avoid ovz like the plague.

• Both could be similar but I'll always go for KVM.

• @eol said:
    This one:

Or this one:

i guess this one

Thanked by 1eol
  • The cheaper one.

• I always wonder isn't high ping more than 200ms will cause video lag or shutter?

• @hellfire1980 said:
    I always wonder isn't high ping more than 200ms will cause video lag or shutter?

Not always, I've experimented with this in the past. If the plex server has the media stored locally, the stream even at 300ms still comes through uninterrupted.

If the network is saturated, or takes a bad route, or something similar that causes the higher ping then you may have trouble.

If it's just high ping due to location, I couldn't find a problem with that.

If the plex server is connected to another server for storage that's got a higher ping, you will definitely notice that. Especially when seeking and things like library scanning, etc.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Hani said:

4 core vps that is oversold could be easily over performed by 1 core VPS that is not

And opposite as provider do heavily oversell that they can offer only 1 core vps due to luck of resources on the node.

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

@WebProject said:

@Hani said:

And opposite as provider do heavily oversell that they can offer only 1 core vps due to luck of resources on the node.

lack of resource is never a reason to advertise 1 core vps unless they are honest that they can only allocate 1 core of the cpu to the vps to use it fully . if they are overselling they can always offer 16 core vps which in reality will be 10% of 1 core . So lack of resource in the node will never be a reason for advertising less specially in resources that are easily oversold,

mostly if the provider advertise 1 core it is because they want to be clear with the customer that when they get 1 core it means they can fully use it as much as they want and no one will care. the provider dont want users to get their vps and come in forums complain about performance and have negative feedback. etc.