Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solusvm 1.21.06 Migration from Openvz 6 to 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Solusvm 1.21.06 Migration from Openvz 6 to 7

leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

A new Solusvm version was released last week and it says -

Improvement
The possibility of Migration single OpenVZ VM version 6 to OpenVZ version 7 via UI.

Unfortunately, the Instructions linked are behind a login page which only Solusvm has access to.

Has anyone used this feature? Does it work as expected?

We are looking at both Solusvm and Virtualizor for migrating our Openvz 6 nodes before the November deadline, but I simply cannot stand the virtualizor UI. For all the problems, Solusvm has a clean UI which just works. I have never had to contact Solusvm support, whereas for a single 20 node deployment we had to contact Virtualizor support multiple times.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2019

Why not just use the openly available shell script from OpenVZ/Virtuozzo? 1 line to migrate a single VPS or a whole node.

https://docs.virtuozzo.com/virtuozzo_7_upgrade_guide/upgrading-from-other-products/migrating-containers-from-openvz-based-on-2.6.18-and-2.6.32-to-virtuozzo-7.html

Thanked by 1leapswitch
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2019

@leapswitch said:
    For all the problems, Solusvm has a clean UI which just works. I have never had to contact Solusvm support, whereas for a single 20 node deployment we had to contact Virtualizor support multiple times.

Makes me glad that I stuck with SVM when there was all that "ohh solusvm abandoned, switch now" hype. I've read so many negative things, but everyone has their own exp.

Thanked by 1Tr33n
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
  • SolusVMSolusVM Member, Host Rep

@leapswitch sorry about the docs. I’ve got someone sorting it now. ^PB

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I can confirm I have tested it on pre-prod and in production and it works fine for both ploop and simfs, obviously simfs is converted during migration.

Be aware though it is one way if you have any issues post migration you will not be able to use solusvm to migrate the containers back to a VZ6 node.

Also please do not convert centos7 to VZ7 as this is not supported (yet?) in solusvm and any migrations will have significant issues, use virtuozzo7 ISO installer which will be linked to in the docs.

Happy migrations.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@KuJoe said:
    Why not just use the openly available shell script from OpenVZ/Virtuozzo? 1 line to migrate a single VPS or a whole node.

https://docs.virtuozzo.com/virtuozzo_7_upgrade_guide/upgrading-from-other-products/migrating-containers-from-openvz-based-on-2.6.18-and-2.6.32-to-virtuozzo-7.html

Thanks, but after migration I would need to manually import those in SolusVM or shift the node IP to the new node and hope SolusVM starts using the new node for these VMs.

IMO its better to let SolusVM handle it, after testing it thoroughly.

• Tr33nTr33n Member

leapswitch said: Thanks, but after migration I would need to manually import those in SolusVM or shift the node IP to the new node and hope SolusVM starts using the new node for these VMs.

The node of a VM can get changed with the script "/scripts/vm-migrate" on the SolusVM master.

Personally, i would never convert a VPS over SolusVM because i do not know how it works and what it makes exactly. I recommend to use the ovztransfer script in combination with the vm-migrate command.

If you have to migrate many servers, you can just write a small wrapper shell script which does everything automatically.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I never trusted the GUI with migrations after too many issues in the past. I'm glad they've improved enough to earn back your trust though.

Command line + MySQL query was always faster and worked 100% of the time for me.

• Tr33nTr33n Member
    edited March 2019

KuJoe said: Command line + MySQL query was always faster and worked 100% of the time for me.

Well, SolusVM does not even offer a live migration for KVM / OpenVZ, so you're practically forced to do it that way :tongue:
    And yeah, i also think that the GUI for such tasks can never be trusted. At least, if the servers are important. Better safe than sorry.

• How would you define custom SSH port while using ovztransfer.sh, source and destination servers can have different port numbers.

• Edit the script.

• Well got it

If you want to use specific SSH options, make sure to edit the script and set SSH_OPTS variable correctly. Beware that there are several SSH calls and one SCP call for which these options are used as well, so you must choose arguments format that works with both programs. For example, if you want to use a different port, you can't use "-p 2222", because that works for SSH but not for SCP (for scp it's equivalent argument is -P - capital P). It's best to use -o ssh_option=value format that works with both programs, for example "-o Port=2222"