Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying owned Windows Licenses
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Buying owned Windows Licenses

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

We are currently and SPLA member, so we just use our volume licenses for Windows. But I find it a PITA to manage and am considering using owned licenses instead.

Where can you get the best pricing on owned licenses? They still come printed on the back of a DVD case?

Almost exclusively using 'Standard Edition' for 2012 and 2016. Presumably 2019 will be in demand soon. Most people want 2012, which I imagine should be cheaper to own? Cost the same for volume licensing as 2019 though.

Comments

• I use a licence I got from Ebay. For Windows 10.
    For 3 dollars he gave me a key that worked.

• eoleol Member

Good luck with your trojan.

Thanked by 2Janevski vimalware
  • @gwnd1989 said:
    I use a licence I got from Ebay. For Windows 10.

Good luck for that, that person will sell that key to someone else too and your activation will be revoked.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

You cannot rent services on a box license. Read the license. Providing services = SPLA and SPLA alone.

• @gwnd1989 said:

That made me cringe

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@TheKiller said:

@gwnd1989 said:

Good luck for that, that person will sell that key to someone else too and your activation will be revoked.

Or a stolen MAC key...

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:
    You cannot rent services on a box license. Read the license. Providing services = SPLA and SPLA alone.

How do people who run windows boxes on a service provider without an SPLA arrange licensing for their servers?

• SashkaProSashkaPro Member
    edited March 2019

@Clouvider said:

And if I end-user that renting VPS/dedicated - can I use:
    1) Box License
    2) Ebay key?
    Will it be legal?

P.S.: of course I'm using linux. But just interested what I should do if someone want ms product on VPS/Dedicated.

• @gwnd1989 said:

That's usable, but illegal.

@randvegeta said:

@Clouvider said:

How do people who run windows boxes on a service provider without an SPLA arrange licensing for their servers?

Other than "license mobility" and some awkward enterprise agreements, SPLA seems to be the only way to go. The rest falls under gray area, or worse, illegal.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

I’m not going to discuss that, there’s nothing to discuss and no point wasting time on it. You can verify this with your MS rep...

• Thats why Linux is a freedom.
    With Linux you have freedom of speech at least :wink:

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

You can only use SPLA if you are offering hosting. There's no other way.

• @SashkaPro said:
    Thats why Linux is a freedom.

Not anymore.

• @Letzien said:

@SashkaPro said:

Not anymore.

GNU/FreeBDSM.

Thanked by 3eol uptime FHR
  • @Janevski said:

@Letzien said:

@SashkaPro said:

Not anymore.

GNU/FreeBDSM.

It's all about ethics in mental issues.

@qps said:
    You can only use SPLA if you are offering hosting. There's no other way.

Ideally we wouldnt offer any licenses at all. License handling is more trouble than its worth.

Surely end users are free to use their own licenses on a rented server?

• eoleol Member

All you need is a YMCA license.

@eol said:
    All you need is a YMCA license.

Its not actually fun to stay there.

Thanked by 3eol uptime dahartigan
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

randvegeta said: Surely end users are free to use their own licenses on a rented server?

No, it is against the license agreement. If it is used on a hosted service, it must go through the SPLA.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@qps said:

randvegeta said: Surely end users are free to use their own licenses on a rented server?

No, it is against the license agreement. If it is used on a hosted service, it must go through the SPLA.

Seriously? So if I lease a dedicated server and provide IPMI, and the customer installs Windows on the server, this is not allowed? Presumably this is the end user who is going against the license agreement in this case.

• @gwnd1989 said:

You might as well as run your own KMS server. At least then if it deactivates, it's your fault.

• @randvegeta said:

@qps said:

Seriously? So if I lease a dedicated server and provide IPMI, and the customer installs Windows on the server, this is not allowed? Presumably this is the end user who is going against the license agreement in this case.

Well, I know of a german provider that did this in the past by allowing the customer to use "free 180 day trial" or own license. But they stopped offering it at some point.

edited March 2019

@Ympker said:

@randvegeta said:

@qps said:

Well, I know of a german provider that did this in the past by allowing the customer to use "free 180 day trial" or own license. But they stopped offering it at some point.

Quite certain if customer installs it themselves and use their own key (or not), we as the host are not responsible for their actions, nor is it we who are 'breaking' the license agreement. The onus must be on the end users.

• ChuckChuck Member

@Letzien said:

@SashkaPro said:

Not anymore.

I blame #metoo #LGBTTQQIAAP shit!

• @Janevski said:

@Letzien said:

@SashkaPro said:

Not anymore.

GNU/FreeBDSM.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/21/freebsd_code_of_conduct_controversy/
    Now stop talking to me without my explict consent, you're making me feel unsafe!

BTW: At least in germany, those dirt cheap MS keys on ebay are ripped out of volume licenses. AFAIR a german or EU court ruled that legal somehow. And some sellers even claim they do that the 110% proper way in cooperation with some MS licensing experts, with certificates and whatnot. MS always says its still not allowed.
    IMHO: For business use, forget it. And for private use you might just as well download a linux ISO.

Thanked by 2Janevski eol
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2019

that_guy said: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/21/freebsd_code_of_conduct_controversy/
    Now stop talking to me without my explict consent, you're making me feel unsafe!

I am not talking to you, i am talking at you, or to be more precise, in your general direction, but since you can't own a direction, i am just talking, thus expressing my freedom of expression, in a general direction.

An interjection is also a non invasive way into someone's private space of thought.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • eoleol Member

@that_guy said:
    IMHO: For business use, forget it. And for private use you might just as well download a linux ISO.

I agree.
    But a real Linux ISO.
    No redhat/hatred infested poetteringOS crap.

• @randvegeta said:

@qps said:

Microsoft have mobility license for their products, legally customer must have Enterprise license, software assurance and mobility license to use their license on provider server. But for the operating system, Microsoft have different terms :

1. Windows server not eligible for mobility license, must be provided by authorized mobility partner ( SPLA is required to apply for authorized mobility partner ).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/licensing-programs/software-assurance-license-mobility?activetab=software-assurance-license-mobility-pivot:primaryr2

1. Windows 10, only windows 10 Enterprise e3 or e5 that allowed to use on cloud partner

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/windows-10-enterprise-e3-overview?ocid=tia-258213000

All retail windows system only allowed to used on end user owned hardware, so even if end user RENT a dedicated server they are not allowed to use their retail license keys.

If you have SPLA agreement with Microsoft and you are allowed your customer to violated Microsoft license agreement I SUSPECT Microsoft can take you to a court or at least stop the agreement, but you need to check this again with your Microsoft representative and re-read your partnership agreement with Microsoft.

Technically almost every key will work, and of course any windows activator / hack also will works...

Thanked by 1eol
  • eoleol Member

@hardgamers said:
    Technically almost every key will work, and of course any windows activator / hack also will works...

Technically almost every Linux ISO download will work.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2019

qps said: No, it is against the license agreement. If it is used on a hosted service, it must go through the SPLA.

I just want to say, because I have commented twice before on Microsoft licensing issues here, there are ways to validly use non SPLA licenses. However, those licenses generally have to be part of a special enterprise license which provides more than one license at a time and is actually a good deal more expensive than SPLA and the flavors it provides or a FULL RETAIL VERSION (non-oem). Now, usually these Enterprise licenses are for use of OS's like Windows 7 or 10 in virtual machines:

"Microsoft licenses the use of a desktop OS on a server(s) by either: Windows VDA, Windows SA or Windows Intune w/SA - depending on your scenario. Not all client access devices are the same, which is the reason for multiple license options when accessing a Windows desktop OS VM from a server. The server technology does not matter; you can be hosting the VMs with VMware, Hyper-V, XenDesktop – you still license the client accessing the VMs with one of the 3 options above."

Additionally, my understanding is if you buy a FULL version (in the case of Windows 7, I read you may need a Windows 7 Ultimate license for this, but I am not 100% on that) of the operating system it can technically be installed anywhere which is DIFFERENT than an OEM license which is meant to be bound directly to the hardware it was delivered with and usually doesn't include permissions for remote access (using it as a virtual machine).

"Technically you can assign a full Windows desktop OEM/FPP license to a server. It is permanently assigned to THAT server, and can't be load balanced from server to server. Additionally, since there are technically no 'primary user' assigned to a server, there are no remote access rights permitted with the OEM/FPP Windows licenses to remotely access that instance of a server. So if you needed to remotely access the VM in this instance (for any purpose other than to manage the VM) you would require a Windows VDA/SA license... With server based Windows desktop virtualization, Microsoft does not license the server itself or the # of VMs, but requires you to license your onsite accessing devices."

[source]

Now, this related to non-server specific Microsoft OS's, if you intent is to offer any 'Server' versions of their operating system then I do believe the others are correct, SPLA is the best option (or very costly VDA/SA licenses which end up to be much more expensive) in datacenter environments otherwise I believe it is locked to the hardware very similarly to OEM licenses and isn't meant to be accessed remotely except for 'management' uses.

[This article may also be of use]

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1Clouvider