Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any VPS services with managed IP anycast addresses?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any VPS services with managed IP anycast addresses?

I’m looking for a low-end VPS service provider with managed anycast IPv4 and 6 addressing. I’m only aware of BuyVM’s anycast VPS but surely there must be at least one or two other competitors?

I’ve seen that many providers offer [quite expensive] “load balancing” IP products, but these only work within one of their data centers and not across multiple data centers.

Comments

• I don't know. But the thing is @cloudcone offers anycast services between their DC .

• 7seven7seven Member
    edited March 2019

@Deepak_leb said:
    […] the thing is cloudcone offers anycast services between their DC .

I can’t find any information whatsoever on their website about any managed or unmanaged anycast services or anything resembling that on their website. There is no information about their network infrastructure or their data centers either. I setup an account and they don’t appear to have anymore than one datacenter in Los Angeles.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • low-end & anycast isn't that common; You may be better looking at getting your own subnet, AS & finding providers that offer BGP sessions and deploying your own.

Deepak_leb said: the thing is @cloudcone offers anycast services between their DC .

Is it not that just anycast DNS they offer?

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

quadhost said: Is it not that just anycast DNS they offer?

Likely.

To date I'm only aware of a single other provider that offers a 'shared anycast subnet' like us, and that's HostVirtual. Even HV's setup is "enterprise" expensive.

Francisco

• I don't know. But the thing is @cloudcone offers anycast services between their DC .

@quadhost said:
    low-end & anycast isn't that common; You may be better looking at getting your own subnet, AS & finding providers that offer BGP sessions and deploying your own.

Deepak_leb said: the thing is @cloudcone offers anycast services between their DC .

Is it not that just anycast DNS they offer?

I believe you are right

• Aulerion (aff link) does Anycast IPs for free (for now) and you don't have to use all thier servers to enable it. You can also use code FLASHMATCH to double payment.

• Francisco said:

quadhost said: Is it not that just anycast DNS they offer?

Likely.

From what I can tell from their DNS services is unicast or has so few PoPs that it can’t be detected.

Francisco said: To date I'm only aware of a single other provider that offers a 'shared anycast subnet' like us, and that's HostVirtual. Even HV's setup is "enterprise" expensive.

I also found BGP Grid with two US locations starting at USD 160/mo. I’ve visited BuyVM a couple of times per year for the last two years and they’ve always been sold out.

Why do you think you don’t have any competitors in this space? or why don’t the big provides like Digital Ocean, Vultr, and Linode offer either shared anycast subnets or at the very least managed GeoDNS? What is the point of server instanes all over the world if you can’t route users to their nearest datacenter?

• avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

Purchase two VM from Vultr and set up BGP session, it's simple and affordable.

• quadhostquadhost Member
    edited March 2019

@7seven said:

Why do you think you don’t have any competitors in this space?

Because he doesn't pretty much, at the pricepoint he offers it.

Not many have many split a /24 up for routing to a VPS like Fran has.

Certain providers have anycast in place yes, share the subnet for different end users for the same as a few cups of coffee, no.

He isn't the only one as said, but its not common and most that do charge a premium for it.

What is the point of server instanes all over the world if you can’t route users to their nearest datacenter?

You can do this at other levels e.g. DNS or application rather than IP routing.

or why don’t the big provides like Digital Ocean, Vultr, and Linode offer either shared anycast subnets

Why not ask them? ;)

or at the very least managed GeoDNS?

Anycast Routing to a VPS ≠ Anycast DNS ≠ GeoDNS, they all have their suitable places.

• @sanvit said:
    Aulerion (aff link) does Anycast IPs for free (for now) and you don't have to use all thier servers to enable it. You can also use code FLASHMATCH to double payment.

Aulerion?? You can’t be serious...

Thanked by 1uptime
  • datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited March 2019

sanvit said: Aulerion (aff link) does Anycast IPs for free (for now) and you don't have to use all thier servers to enable it. You can also use code FLASHMATCH to double payment.

Do you have experience with them? How many locations do you need to be able to use the anycast IP?

doghouch said: Aulerion?? You can’t be serious...

Are they that bad?

7seven said: I’ve seen that many providers offer [quite expensive] “load balancing” IP products, but these only work within one of their data centers and not across multiple data centers.

I know that it's not what you are asking for, but if your goal is to have users go to a server close to them, Route 53 latency based DNS works great (fast & stable) for 6$/y + 0.6$ / million requests. If you go that route you can avoid anycast and redirect to different IPs, it ends up being cheaper and it allows you to use different providers. (But you have to give some $$$ to Amz, and their DNS servers is the only thing that's gonna be anycast in that setup)

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

aveline said: Purchase two VM from Vultr and set up BGP session, it's simple and affordable.

But you need your own IP block for that. Seems like OP is asking for a shared anycasted subnet.

Thanked by 1quadhost
  • @FHR said:

But you need your own IP block for that.

That could work out cheaper than paying $160/m to VPS Grid in comparison though...

• @datanoise said:

sanvit said: Aulerion (aff link) does Anycast IPs for free (for now) and you don't have to use all thier servers to enable it. You can also use code FLASHMATCH to double payment.

Do you have experience with them? How many locations do you need to be able to use the anycast IP?

More than 1

Are they that bad?

I mean there's some ups and downs but other than that, it was pretty good.

• Isn't @gbshouse creating a service exactly what you are asking? Well I mean you need to provide your own servers but that's the nice thing about it.
    Ref: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/151010/your-own-anycast-looking-for-beta-testers/p1

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Aulerion looks like a possible option. Their information doesn’t have any info and I can’t find any actual reviews of their services, though.

sanvit said: I know that it's not what you are asking for, but if your goal is to have users go to a server close to them, Route 53 latency based DNS works great (fast & stable) for 6$/y + 0.6$ / million requests. If you go that route you can avoid anycast and redirect to different IPs, it ends up being cheaper and it allows you to use different providers. (But you have to give some $$$ to Amz, and their DNS servers is the only thing that's gonna be anycast in that setup)

I really don’t want to play Monopoly with AWS. Route 53 is a platform and not a standard DNS service and they don’t have support for zone transfers or DNSSEC.

• Yes, that is the one I was trying to remember. There are a few other suggestions in that thread too.

If this is just for DNS though, there are tons of those including Rage4, OVH, etc. There are also lots of anycast CDN's which might also be what you want.

• willie said: If this is just for DNS though, there are tons of those including Rage4, OVH, etc.

A DNS service is not the same as a VPS service. I’m looking for a VPS provider that offers managed / shared subnet anycast routing so that I can route people to the nearest data center using one IP address.

willie said: There are also lots of anycast CDN's which might also be what you want.

I’ve been using a CDN up until now, but none of the providers I’ve found just want to be a caching HTTP proxy service. Instead they try to be innovative and end up just breaking things for me by being opinionated about their HTTP implementations instead of being standards compliant.

Vinnyletje said: Isn't @gbshouse creating a service exactly what you are asking? Well I mean you need to provide your own servers but that's the nice thing about it.

Well, that sure sounds like a managed anycast IP service. Though, I honestly don’t understand what exactly @gbshouse is doing. They haven’t launched this product yet and there is almost no information (like pricing) available yet.

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2019

7seven said: Instead they try to be innovative and end up just breaking things for me by being opinionated about their HTTP implementations instead of being standards compliant.

I'd be interested to know what they broke. @BunnySpeed ?

• 7seven7seven Member
    edited March 2019

willie said: I'd be interested to know what they broke. BunnySpeed?

It’s actually BunnyCDN I want to replace. It’s been a whole bunch of stuff over time and they never communicate changes through their blog or on Twitter. They were great when I first began using them 18 months ago but have gradually moved farther and farther away from being a standard caching HTTP proxy behavior and over to doing their own weird and completely undocumented things. This would be fine if this was the deal from the start but I chose to use them specifically because my testing of two dozen competing services showed they were one of the least meddling standard compliant HTTP proxy services (except for the NGINX HTTP-accent.)

They had “fix IPv6” on their status page for over a year while gradually removing any mentions of IPv6 from their webpages. It worked for like the first week after I become a customer and then “took it down for maintenance” and never turned it back on again. IPv6 was one of my original requirements when signing up so it felt like a bait and switch.

Lastly, their low TTL is my website’s number one performance bottleneck. It’s so low that any visitor is extremely unlikely to get a DNS cache hit from their recursive DNS provider unless you have millions of daily DNS requests. I’d much rather have the occasional few-minutes regional outage in the rare instances when something goes catastrophically wrong with their infrastructure than completely unnecessarily slow performance for every visitor.

Long story short, I want to setup a few caching Varnish HTTP proxies that I know will cache and serve content according to standard HTTP mechanisms, and won’t do anything weird or change behavior unannounced over night. Out of the CDNs, only Fastly use Varnish and they’re not all that budget friendly. However, to host a micro-CDN myself I’m going to need a way to get visitors to the nearest server; which brings us back to my search for an anycast VPS provider.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2019

There may no providers who can meet your requirements with your budget.

BuyVM and Host Virtual do provide VM with shared anycast subnet. But as far as I know, if one VM goes down it won't route to another VM in a different location and they don't have a backbone for this.

Aulerion may be able to provide this but their backbone is ... just tunnels and I don't think it ready for production.

You can try StackPath's new service and it should meet your requirements but the price is sooooo high.

Check this: https://blog.stackpath.com/introducing-containers-and-virtual-machines-at-the-edge

Thanked by 2FHR uptime
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

7seven said: This would be fine if this was the deal from the start but I chose to use them specifically because my testing of two dozen competing services showed they were one of the least meddling standard compliant HTTP proxy services (except for the NGINX HTTP-accent.)

Which "standards" are they breaking and what impact does it have on your app?

7seven said: It’s so low that any visitor is extremely unlikely to get a DNS cache hit from their recursive DNS provider unless you have millions of daily DNS requests.

That's the idea.

• @sanvit said:

@datanoise said:

[...]

Are they that bad?

I mean there's some ups and downs but other than that, it was pretty good.

just fyi with regard to aulerion, repeating my comment in a previous thread:

Aulerion serms to be the newish brand of a 3 month-old company with an 18-year old director
    Wishing them all the best luck and success with their venture(s) - and I might give them a try at some point - but would advise "look before you leap" applies especially to this one

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Our anycast-as-a-service is still available as beta, we had to move all hands to new DNS backend (which was released last week). The pricing, website etc for AnycastIP should be ready by the end of March. We also work on some cool addons for micro/mini CDN providers/operators.

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited March 2019

7seven said: I really don’t want to play Monopoly with AWS. Route 53 is a platform and not a standard DNS service and they don’t have support for zone transfers or DNSSEC.

Sure, but I mentioned route 53 because they are cheap and we are on LET. There are other more expensive alternatives with DNSSEC and the like, you could even roll your own geodns setup easily and really cheap if you're ok with it not using anycast IPs.

• Any other alternatives?

I sent Aulerion some questions as their website doesn't have much details about their service offerings or prices. I got a reply right away saying they were unusually busy and would get back to me within a day. I sent them a reminder yesterday but still haven't received a reply.

7seven said: Why do you think you don’t have any competitors in this space?

I think you're overestimating how much demand there is for the whole shared Anycast idea.

You need a platform built to support it, and even then, you're burning up IP space and hope to make a return on it.

Besides that, we kinda killed the market for it when we decided to offer it for free.

Francisco

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited March 2019

@Francisco said:

7seven said: Why do you think you don’t have any competitors in this space?

I think you're overestimating how much demand there is for the whole shared Anycast idea.

You need a platform built to support it, and even then, you're burning up IP space and hope to make a return on it.

Besides that, we kinda killed the market for it when we decided to offer it for free.

Francisco

You bad bad shirtless guy. Killing all your competitiors by offering super cheap yet reliable service with cool freebies like anycast ips and directadmin. Wait, that was a good thing...

Thanked by 1Francisco

@sanvit said:
    You bad bad shirtless guy. Killing all your competitiors by offering super cheap yet reliable service with cool freebies like anycast ips and directadmin. Wait, that was a good thing...

Go on, i'm almost there....

Francisco

Thanked by 2sanvit Harambe
  • @Francisco said:

@sanvit said:

Go on, i'm almost there....

Francisco

Aaand super fast and friendly support that actually knows what they're doing :+1:

Anyway, some cheaper infrequent-access/low-speced slabs (the original slabs are over-performing for most of the workloads) with less caching and stuff would be nice? I know the current slabs are super cheap, but this is LET ;)

Thanked by 1Daniel15