Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows VPS setting Active Directory?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows VPS setting Active Directory?

I am going to use a Windows ERP Software on a VPS server for R&D testing purposes.

I would like to know if I can setup the Windows Active Directory on the same server?

Comments

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep

If you are using 1 server, why not putting it in workgroup instead?

AD requires a Domain Controller and usually be used if you have many servers need to be managed (We are talking about >20 or so)

• @feezioxiii said:

AD requires a Domain Controller and usually be used if you have many servers need to be managed (We are talking about >20 or so)

The ERP need AD

• Azure AD services 108$/month up to 25000 objects, hope you can grab the 200$ free trial...

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/active-directory-ds/

• Hi

We have vds with windows server 2016 and you can configure AD.

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2019

@smartcard said:

@feezioxiii said:

The ERP need AD

AD or Workgroup should not be a requirement for any application though as those don't take part in any features (related to any programs) and just a role for Windows policies/accounts/... management.

What is the software that you are referring to?

@ValiSXP said:
    Hi

We have vds with windows server 2016 and you can configure AD.

Did you even read @OP question?

• Hi

I did read it. You can said that I didn't explain right.
    Let me be more specific.
    We also are selling and ERP and we host that ERP in our data center for many clients along with Windows Server 2016. It is possible to have in the same instance of Windows the AD and the ERP database and/or the ERP App Server. This is not recommended but for testing it will be OK.

• @smartcard said:

I am going to use a Windows ERP Software on a VPS server for R&D testing purposes.

I would like to know if I can setup the Windows Active Directory on the same server?

So let me guess, you're using Active Directory as the authentication method for your ERP system...

The answer is yes, you can host your custom application on the same Windows box that hosts your Active Directory domain. Or better yet, you can have your ERP application talk to an AD box that may be hosted inside a private network via a site-to-site VPN.

The only thing I recommend against running on is Microsoft Exchange, since that requires you to extend the schema, domain specific objects and possibly require local system/service accounts which an AD domain controller can't reliably host...

@ese_enzo said:
    Azure AD services 108$/month up to 25000 objects, hope you can grab the 200$ free trial...

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/active-directory-ds/

Azure AD is not Active Directory at all. It's really meant for managing devices and users across a broad spectrum of platforms and possibly on a BYOD setting. The traditional AD model assumes that you aren't doing BYOD.

@feezioxiii said:
    AD or Workgroup should not be a requirement for any application though as those don't take part in any features (related to any programs) and just a role for Windows policies/accounts/... management.

Not if the ERP platform happens to be a custom platform that talks to an AD farm... And yes they do exist out there...

Thanked by 1feezioxiii
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Microsoft doesn’t recommend having large systems like erp, sql on the same server that’s running the Active Directory service.
    Running AD on a server removes some other features when installed.

It is most likely going to work but upgrades/migrations might not.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Nothing else should run on domain controllers. With that said, if it's just for testing, nobody cares.

• @FHR said:
    Nothing else should run on domain controllers. With that said, if it's just for testing, nobody cares.

Tell that to SBS. I remember many a day someone removed SharePoint and the box DCPROMO'd itself away to unbootable. :dizzy:

UNIX is good. UNIX is life.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @mikho said:
    Microsoft doesn’t recommend having large systems like erp, sql on the same server that’s running the Active Directory service.
    Running AD on a server removes some other features when installed.

It is most likely going to work but upgrades/migrations might not.

Not really. Linking the Ad binaries from the side by side store and promoting it to a Domain Controller won't remove features at all.

And if the ERP system uses a sql database that isn't mssql and ad purely for authentication, I don't see a reason why they can't move it away from the DC to a separate windows machine down the road.

That being said, from a security point of view, yeah DCs should only host AD and DNS as what Microsoft recommends for production.

@Letzien said:

@FHR said:

Tell that to SBS. I remember many a day someone removed SharePoint and the box DCPROMO'd itself away to unbootable. :dizzy:

UNIX is good. UNIX is life.

That's why it's no longer a product.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

TriJetScud said: Not really. Linking the Ad binaries from the side by side store and promoting it to a Domain Controller won't remove features at all.

A domain controller doesn't have local accounts/groups. Or has that changed in 2019?

• Old thread but just wanted to say that yes you can setup AD, ERP, SharePoint and what not on same server as long as you have enough RAM and good CPU.

Thanked by 2eol smartcard
  • you will find solution with the help of https://www.obhost.net/