Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VestaCP mails are going to SPAM (gmail,outlook)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VestaCP mails are going to SPAM (gmail,outlook)

linkoftimelinkoftime Member
edited February 2019 in Help

Hi. I have a problem with vestacp. My setup contain multiple IP addresses and domains, but the problem is the same.
My mails passes all mail testers (10/10). Also there's not errors in gmail logs
SPF:PASS,
DKIM:'PASS'
DMARC:'PASS'
Anything else is "pass" too. Same on outlook. I have no idea what's wrong. There's no "softfail" or anything like this, but all messages are going to SPAM. No matter if they are sent via roundcube or email client. My IP addresses are clean one every single list. Domains too.
Of course I tried to search for similar problems, but nothing is resolved.
Any ideas?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2019

What's the content of the emails like? It could be something in the email causing it.

• I'm just testing it with many natural sentences. With or without attachments. Styled and plain text.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @linkoftime said:
    I'm just testing it with many natural sentences.

+1 for natural sentences.

• big mail-providers like gmail or microsoft run their very own lists and algorythms. how old are the IPs and/or domains and who's the provider you are sending from?

if you have a new domain name and start sending out mails you are simply unknown and have basically no reputation at all. so they might place them in spam and wait and see, if someone is marking them as not spam.
    if you are hammering a lot of mails out suddenly, that won't help either.

for the IPs it's more or less the same. a new one? no reputation at all. an old one? could have been worn out or on a blocklist before, depending on the former owner...

even with all that stuff like spf and dkim in place (which is good practise) you still might need to build up a reputation with all the bigger providers over time. it's not an instant process at all.

and for sure this has nothing to do with vesta, as that's just a tool that configures your exim, opendkim and all that services on your server which do the real work here. doesn't matter which panel you use, if you see the PASS in the header it's not a configuration problem.

Thanked by 2linkoftime coreflux
  • linkoftimelinkoftime Member
    edited February 2019

OVH is my provider for both - domains and VPS.
    One of my domains is mine for over 5 years already, other have 1 or 2 years.
    And about IP addresses. I used mailserver configured by myself from the scratch before. It wasn't perfect. Mailtest results were 6-7/10 but I never had any problem with messages landing in SPAM. These domains and IP addresses were brand new back then without any reputation.

I know what is Vesta, but many people have similar problems after they moved to vesta and I mentioned about it for more complete info about my problem.

This is problematic to be honest. I want to open web store with my friend, but if mails from that store will be landing in SPAM...

I'll try to setup mailserver on my test VPS and look if it still landing in SPAM.

• linkoftime said: OVH is my provider

Don't think that's helping much,OVH ip range reputation is not the best, getting good deliverable and hosted at OVH dosen't go together.

linkoftime said: This is problematic to be honest. I want to open web store with my friend, but if mails from that store will be landing in SPAM...

You could just use a smtp relay like Amazon SES.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • linkoftime said: I know what is Vesta, but many people have similar problems after they moved to vesta and I mentioned about it for more complete info about my problem.

there are lot of reasons why one might not want to use vesta. mail-server configuration is not amongst those. receiving mailservers don't know nor care about a panel you are using...
    however feel free to believe what you want ;-) nobody forces you to use this specific panel at all. and if you got a bad feeling, better use something else anyway...

• linkoftime said: Any ideas?

All above what @Falzo said - correct.
    But!

Just a single client which got your email which will click on the email as "spam" in mail interface can break your reputation for super long time, or make you hell a lot of problems.

What does it means?

Like @Falzo said above, algorithms and bla bla bla (tons of them).
    But the most critical factor for all providers = spam button.
    If user click on spam button = it has much more weight then anything else.

This is stupid as fuck, sorry about that, but this is working.
    You need around 3-5 mail boxes on the same provider to ruin ANY advertising campaing from any operator (except super big providers and sites) and just mark several messages as spam one on some provider in some short period of time. It will ruin whole delivery to the customers from your side, or from any side.

But what to do?

To be clear, there is not really what you can do.
    Thank'x a lot to spammers which sending billion of mails with dmarc, dkim, spf, and etc else from their fake domains which they register from hacked paypal account, or bank credit accounts, etc.

Wait, but what I can do?

To be clear, each provider (big player) have something like that:

and many many other things.

If you're not a spammer, for you it will be more then enough to solve delivery problem.
    If you're a spammer and just begin to send a spam, sorry I wont help you.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2019

Vesta's mailer is not the worse but also not the best. Vesta does have its own share of issues, but I think your spam score in your mails is not one of them.
    Ip s need time to "warm up" and need to be clean not only now but in the past. Check if your ip is in one of the spam lists.
    I would suggest you to use a mail relay system. There are plenty of them with free tiers. I use mailgun, it is not the best, not bad either in reviews, and it is working fine (at least for me).
    Also, be sure that all aspcets (dmark, spf, dkim etc.) are well configured and follow the procedure each of the big players wants to inform them about the spam mark.