Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARIN announces waiting list changes; Limits all (new?) requests to just a /22
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ARIN announces waiting list changes; Limits all (new?) requests to just a /22

FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
edited February 2019 in General

Seems some people have been abusing ARIN's waiting list to get blocks:

https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2019_2.html

A substantial amount of misuse of the waiting list is suspected by ARIN staff. A significant percentage of organizations that receive blocks from the waiting list subsequently issue these blocks to other organizations via 8.3 or 8.4 transfers shortly after the one year waiting period required before engaging in such outbound transfers. Most of these cases involve larger-sized blocks, and many involve organizations that already have large IPv4 holdings. Some organizations engage in this practice multiple times, rejoining the waiting list shortly after transferring out blocks previously received on the waiting list. There are even cases of multiple startup organizations requesting approval to be placed on the waiting list where these organizations' requests can all be tracked originating from the same IP address. While it is possible that some of these cases are legitimate, and while it is difficult for ARIN to prove fraud in most individual cases, the large number of cases like these indicates a high likelihood that there is significant misuse of the waiting list. Specifically, some organizations are likely being dishonest in projecting their need for IPv4 space with the intent of receiving blocks off the waiting list so that they can sell them one year after receiving them. In the case of multiple startups, some organizations that receive blocks on the waiting list subsequently perform a 8.2 merger/acquisition, allowing them to sell the blocks even before the one year waiting period.

The problem is serious enough that the ARIN Board of Trustees has suspended issuance of number resources while a solution to this problem is found, and it is unfair to organizations with legitimate need on the waiting list that they are being crowded out and delayed by those looking to game the system.

Francisco

Thanked by 3eol MasonR feezioxiii

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited February 2019

Will this be the end of the one-time fee IP era? Large organisations are no longer able to get that much IPs in a short amount of time.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@FAT32 said:
    Will this be the end of the one-time fee IP era?

It's more that it'll likely cause a price hike in the IP market.

People were forming multiple companies to get on the waiting list and then merging the requests to sell IP's. Now that all requests are limited to a /22, and likely doing full audits on new companies/orders/etc, it's likely going to cause a price spike in the ARIN region.

Francisco

Thanked by 2eol FAT32
  • The end of IPv4 is nigh.

Thanked by 3eol Chuck pike
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Daniel15 said:
    The end of IPv4 is nigh.

Hardly. We have many years to go.

Google is only seeing around 25% IPV6 usage, most other huge websites are probably similar.

Francisco

Thanked by 3Chuck darkimmortal FHR
  • stop the IPV6 madness.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited February 2019

@Francisco said:

@Daniel15 said:
    The end of IPv4 is nigh.

Hardly. We have many years to go.

I was just channelling my inner @deank

Having said that, Facebook is seeing more IPv6 than IPv4 in the USA (around 53% IPv6 usage). My guess is that it's primarily driven by mobile devices (apparently 90%+ of T-mobile's traffic is routed over IPv6), combined with Comcast having pretty good IPv6 support. Worldwide it's only around 22% though. You can see the data here: https://www.facebook.com/ipv6/

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Francisco said: It's more that it'll likely cause a price hike in the IP market.

If only CC held out a little longer

Thanked by 1FHR
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Bah, the end is nigh.

Why bother.

Thanked by 3eol terrahost Gatto
  • @Daniel15 said:
    Having said that, Facebook is seeing more IPv6 than IPv4 in the USA (around 53% IPv6 usage). My guess is that it's primarily driven by mobile devices (apparently 90%+ of T-mobile's traffic is routed over IPv6), combined with Comcast having pretty good IPv6 support. Worldwide it's only around 22% though. You can see the data here: https://www.facebook.com/ipv6/

Funny thing is, in markets where IPv6 would make much more sense (See Hong Kong), none of the mobile providers even hand out IPv6 addresses to the endpoints on their home LTE network. Then again this was from my observation during my last trip there in November of last year. Things may have changed, but okay.

And don't get me started with IPv6 and roaming with LTE networks, most providers here in Canada don't even bother with IPv6 on a data connection that's roaming back to their home network provider even if their home network provider supported IPv6.

We'll be seeing IPv4 usage until the end of time as it seems.

• DetruireDetruire Member
    edited February 2019

@TriJetScud said:

@Daniel15 said:

Funny thing is, in markets where IPv6 would make much more sense (See Hong Kong), none of the mobile providers even hand out IPv6 addresses to the endpoints on their home LTE network. Then again this was from my observation during my last trip there in November of last year. Things may have changed, but okay.

And don't get me started with IPv6 and roaming with LTE networks, most providers here in Canada don't even bother with IPv6 on a data connection that's roaming back to their home network provider even if their home network provider supported IPv6.

We'll be seeing IPv4 usage until the end of time as it seems.

IME mobile networks have been using CGNAT for years (over a decade here) so lack of IPv6 is less relevant with mobile than fixed connections.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Francisco said: Now that all requests are limited to a /22, and likely doing full audits on new companies/orders/etc, it's likely going to cause a price spike in the ARIN region.

What do you think the chances are of IP's being reclaimed from companies registered but not actively trading i.e. there is a clear audit trail that indicates that the company was registered solely to get around the /22 limit, you know kind of like VPS customers registering multiple accounts to take advantage of 1 per customer promotions?

I imagine that would cause the largest scale dead pooling we have ever seen, I was told by someone way more plugged in to that side of the business than I am that conversations along those lines have started at RIPE.

Thanked by 1Corey
  • I feel the need to point out that this is just a proposal at this point. While ARIN has suspended fulfilling waiting list requests (per the exec board), this policy has not been enacted as of yet. arin-ppml is far from reaching a consensus on the issue.