Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question regarding OVH users / resellers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question regarding OVH users / resellers?

JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Hi,

I just wondered about businesses that use OVH and resell hosting/managed and unmanaged servers if they have had servers terminated unexpectedly or any other issues resulting in services ending without warning?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Terminate/suspend first. Message later. This is the standard way in lowend budget segment.

• Once I had a power supply which terminated unexpectedly but without any other issues resulting in service ending without warning.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • I think it depends on the host in question, whether or not they pay their bills and do the right thing in general... the same thing applies if you resell someone's service who depends on you to pay your bills, on and on it goes. What if OVH forget to pay their power bill? lol

• they will message you to solve it . give you a deadline after that you are kicked from their system. I guess you can re-order unless they block the whole account which you made a big mess .

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2019

Different countries. Different laws. Different sales models. Different customers. Different languages. Different mentality of people. Different payment methods.

Reseller always knows more than other clients with 1-20 servers. For example, there is a buyer and it is easier for him to pay the reseller to do everything. Large Internet clients always have a spare chance, they always have spare servers in another data center.

The future of hosting is a selling point. It seeks to sell everything, different data centers, different locations. Any request for a service to answer yes yes yes.

they have had servers terminated unexpectedly or any other issues resulting in services ending without warning?

To avoid such as you described above, you must divide the servers into accounts. 10-20 servers per account to give.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I see, is it possible to have multiple accounts with OVH for the same company?

We'd like to offer reseller hosting on our servers, but I am thinking, as they are reseller accounts, it is hard to keep constant control of what may be uploaded etc....

Or if its just worth sticking to shared?

• I had a kvm from vmhaus on a node at OVH BHS that was apparently confiscated by the Mounties a year or so ago ...

Thanked by 2dahartigan eol

LOL... any reason behind it?

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited February 2019

@experttechit said:
    I see, is it possible to have multiple accounts with OVH for the same company?

We'd like to offer reseller hosting on our servers, but I am thinking, as they are reseller accounts, it is hard to keep constant control of what may be uploaded etc....

Or if its just worth sticking to shared?

That's the risk you take by using a third party. You can get good reseller hosting for less than the cost of a cpanel license, and for the most part you will be fine. Otherwise you have to pay for your own datacenter, server, network, license etc and have (mostly) full control.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2019

@experttechit said:
    LOL... any reason behind it?

I never dug into it any further to find out the gory details ... I didn't care to know too much, eh?

Here's the email I got from vmhaus (almost exactly a year ago - despite the 2017/02/22 date given in the email)

Hello,

On 2017/02/22 at 01:37 GMT the VMHaus team was alerted to an outage with our BHS Storage hypervisor.

At 11:33 GMT we were alerted to a subsequent outage to our NVMe hypervisor in BHS.

Multiple attempts to contact OVH with regards to this matter have failed, citing a “court order”
    has been presented to them, and that they are not permitted to provide us further information
    related to the matter. Our OVH account has been suspended, and “there is no possibility of it being reopened.”

Therefore, Services hosted in OVH BHS will not be returning.

We hold an offsite backup of all VPS hosted on BHS Storage & BHS NVMe,
    please contact us via ticket on WHMCS (https://manager.vmhaus.com) in order to retrieve this.
    Offsite backups for BHS1 are dated 2018-02-06 and for BHS-Storage 2018-02-16

We will be offering pro-rata refund, or your instance can be recreated on the Bonsai cloud
    with an additional month of service, storage services will not be able to be recreated and
    a refund only will be available.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

--

The VMHaus Team

Thanked by 3dahartigan JamesF eol

Hmmmm, this looks kinda serious to have a court order, i'd have thought most hosting providers would have done the same.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • OVH's upper management is extremely detached from their clients. To them, you're just xxxxxxx-ovh (or sys/ks). Things related to abuse generally go quite slow. Its advantageous to having an account manager or some "familiars" at the local OVH support team who would notify you if there is some abuse related issue with your account. If you can't control your clients abusing your services, then OVH is not the right host for you. I've seen users get their accounts disabled over a single DMCA complaint. Hetzner is kind of sort of in the same boat and maybe a step ahead as they are notorious for letting their local police seize drives without a court order and simply a warrant.

For the big companies like OVH, Online.net and Hetzner, they know whatever stock you drop, is going to get resold sooner rather than later. All it takes is a small flash sale or reprovisioning the machines as limited edition to recover the loss they made from losing you as a client.

Thanked by 3uptime JamesF eol