Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You Have A Home Server? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do You Have A Home Server?

Comments

• @Jeffrey said: I have my old Pentium 4 Desktop lying around in my bedroom, if I could get my hands on a VERY long Ethernet cable that I could somehow get under our carpet, I would turn that into a server.. Or I could possibly use a supported Wireless USB Adaptor that is supported out of the box with Crunchbang Linux?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127256
    No need to worry about drivers. I have one and it's amazing, I got sick of dealing with crappy wireless drivers from all those pci-e wifi nics (didn't matter what brand, all the drivers blew).

• @Francisco said: Do I look like a woman in my 60's?

Maybe you are hoping to be found by such a cougar. Whatever floats your boat, if it makes you happy, it's all good.

• @Francisco said: Do I look like a woman in my 60's?

Francisco

people still go church?

• @miTgiB said: Maybe you are hoping to be found by such a cougar. Whatever floats your boat, if it makes you happy, it's all good.

We'll see if we can find him a nice east-canadian woman when we're at Niagra :P

• @Aldryic said: east-canadian woman

1/2 a pack of store bought smokes and she's yours

• @Jeffrey said: I have my old Pentium 4 Desktop lying around in my bedroom, if I could get my hands on a VERY long Ethernet cable that I could somehow get under our carpet,

I can only recommend these super flat 20m ethernet cables:

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited February 2012

@Francisco I heard British girls are really good at cooking and tidy up after you, and hey at least they speak English :P. But their computing skills suck so could do with a geek in their life. :P

• Intel Pentium 4 2.66Ghz
    1.2GB DDR RAM
    2 x 80 GB Hard Drives
    Ubuntu 10.04 Installed

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I agree today MBs are better than those of P4 days. Tweaking those might be a problem, I used to have an old machine as a homeserver, was a duron 1100, managed to convince it to run in about 65 celsius without fan, cut also the fan in PSU, used PCI video (sadly, mobo had no onboard, but i think the 1 MB PCI card used even less power than an onboard "modern" one, spindown HDDs when idle, it was draining about 50 Watt, not bad, but when I am thinking at my Saphire fusion with SODIMMs and 2 HDDs 1+2 TB that drains probably less at full load, it is a big difference. I also run many VMs on it, each more powerful than the old duron 1100.
    M

• cleonardcleonard Member
    edited February 2012

For all those with P4 home servers, retire them if you have to pay for electricity. Between the power and the air conditioning to remove the heat I think that my former P4 home server system cost me something like $150 if not $200 a year to run. When it died a while back I didn't replace it. Well until now. My replacement will be my workstation/dev/fileserver combo running on a i3-2100. Total power is under 40 watts while sitting mostly idle in fileserver mode. It will only take about a year to pay for itself.

• @cleonard that is so true ...

I am going to be getting an atom ... only use mine as a media server so that will work better.

• @BassHost said: I am going to be getting an atom

You might consider a Sempron, I was shocked when it had 4x the computing power over a D525 and very minimal added power draw, like .05A extra, and has the virtualization bit the Atom is missing.

• TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
    edited February 2012

The closest thing I have to a home server:
    CPU: Intel Pentium III @ 733 mhz
    Ram: 512 MB of Ram
    HDD: 30 GB HDD
    Uptime: a few minutes? lol.

• @KuJoe I think only sprint doesn't do CAPS on internet bandwidth. All provider such as ATT, Verizon, Comcast, & etc have CAPS. you have read the fine print. My ATT u-verse now set the CAPS limit of 250g/m. They will charge me $10/50G if I use over the CAPS.

Customers Launch Petition Drive With Change.org to Stop Data Capping
    http://stopthecap.com/

PLEASE SIGNE UP THE PETITION TO STOP THE DATA CAP for home INTERNET usage in USA:

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-data-capping

• @innya One of the large telcos in the US, Windstream, does not have caps on transfer either.

• @Kuro Where I live, I can only have either ATT or Comcast. It sucks.

• @innya At least you have a choice.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2012

Intel Core2Duo T7250 2 GHz
    3 GB DDR2
    160 GB HDD + external 500 GB HDD

Not that long ago was in daily desktop usage, but after I got new, this one just sitting there with few IRC sessions 24/7, some torrents, cPanel backups... and it will most likely stay that way till I move somewhere else or machine die.

100 Mbps down / 10 Mbps up - 27 €
    (if I would need it for more important home server usage I would upgrade to symetric 100 Mbps up/down package for 49 €) @vedran can be somewhere close to that for same money too?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2012

"You might consider a Sempron, I was shocked when it had 4x the computing power over a D525 and very minimal added power draw, like .05A extra, and has the virtualization bit the Atom is missing."
    I dont think so. The chipset in the MB can drain a lot more than the whole platform of E350/450 which has great virtualization but a bit more pricey than atoms. Some Atoms have too.
    E350 also has the video inside as well as the memory controller, I dont see how a sempron mobo can compare with that. I dont exclude miracles, tho, I have seen my share...
    M

• As far as power goes it's the entire system that matters starting with the power supply. One thing that you have to understand is that the ratings given by the manufacturers can be very misleading. For example Intel specs the i3-2100 cpu that I'm using as a 65 watt. Now when I measure the actual wall plug power I get more like 45 watts going into the power supply.

Now to be fair this is idle power and as far as my home server will be used that is what will for the most part define the power usage. If I were running folding at home or something then the results would be considerably different. I do plan on doing a fair amount of video transcoding and other high cpu cost computing , but over the year it will still be mostly idle. When you start to compare computing power per watt the desktop chips do a lot better then the Atom's or E350. For absolute lowest power I have no doubt that I could save 10 watts or so with an Atom, but I'd rather have the faster compute power.

I think that a low end Sandy Bridge is the one of the best options going for a home server like this. I know where to get a G530 and a H61 mobo for pretty close to the same price as the Atom so it seems like a no brainer to me. The only reason that I got the i3 is the crazy sale they had going at the time. The i3 cost only about $20 more than the G530 so I went for it.

• premisopremiso Member
    edited February 2012

HDD Space? 4TB RAID 5 ISP? Comcrap 25Mb/5Mbit RAM? 3GB Processor? Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz x86 Computer Model? Optiplex GX620 Operating System? Ubuntu 10.04 Uptime? Until I killed the power yesterday 100days, now 1day :)

Its not used for anything but a media server and some test sites but yea.

For the record, Comcrap has a "soft" 250GB / month cap. They only send letters to the top 10 downloaders on your node and 2 letters in one year == 1 year ban from Comcrap. So if you are in a Fiber offering area, you really do not have need to fear, just don't overdue it. I used to download 500-750GB/month on comcrap and no letter yet. You can upgrade to business for like $20-30 more a month for no-cap. I probably do 300GB - 400GB on comcrap now though.

Just an fyi to set the record straight.

• @Maounique said: the whole platform of E350/450 which has great virtualization

Which has what to do with an Atom @BassHost was thinking of getting and a Sempron?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@innya said: I think only sprint doesn't do CAPS on internet bandwidth.

In your area yes, but that's not how it is every where else. ;)

• Lol Which one. I have a Infrant ReadyNAS, an old Laptop that's a DNS server for the house, and some other devices I have turned into various things like an old Linksys NAS device that used to run my weather station website, another laptop that I run upgrade tests on (software testing) and a old HP DL360 that I use to evaluate hosting software on in case I find something better and/or the current software becomes abandonware.

• I've got:
    TP-Link router in bridge mode
    Intel i3 2100
    12GB Ram
    RAID 1 setup
    Adaptec 2405 (Haven't set this up yet as HDD prices are through the roof.)
    Gigabyte Z58 Board

Runs KVM: 2x Windows 2008 VMs, Windows 7, Windows XP, Debian, CentOS and Vyatta.

Does all my home routing, firewall, storage, etc too.

Going to set it up as my media PC + IP cameras (ZoneMinder) for some home security.

I use all the VMs for testing, learning and an RDP server.

Endless fun getting this to work. Then tie in with my Cisco 877 for some Cisco quirkiness.

• I remember, a few years ago I also had a Linksys NSLU2 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSLU2) running with 2 250Gig disks to it. Now retired, but I think it still works...

• HDD Space: No HDD, 4GB USB Flash drive with debian.
    ISP: Goodline(goodline.info). $25 for 100mbit/s up/down, iptv, cable tv, and voip with $3/mo free.
    RAM: 512mb(was 128mb for 2 years)
    Processor: Celeron 2600mhz
    Computer Model: Russian post box.
    Operating System: Debian testing
    Uptime: http://home.valdikss.org.ru/colld/detail.php?p=uptime&pi=&t=uptime&h=boxserv&s=8035200&x=800&y=350

Well, I don't know what to say about ISPs in USA and other Canadas. I always thought that Russia is a retarded country(and it is) with expensive internet, and $25 for 100mbit/s is pretty expensive here. But I saw some posts here where people pay like $100 for 100mbit/s with caps it's like WOW for me.
    All our ISPs have no caps, it's all fair and unmetered. I have 5-8tb/month traffic and it's normal.
    Now I moved to Saint Petersburg and you can get here 100mbit/s for $15 and 1gbit/s for first 1tb and then 100mbit/s till the end of month for $35.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • @ValdikSS lucky man... and I think any kind of p2p is allowed?

• Ah, and I have another server. It used to be desktop but now it's server because I moved to another city.
    HDD Space: 4.5TB
    ISP: Goodline
    RAM: 4gb
    Processor: Intel Q6600
    Computer Model: Selfmade
    Operating System: ArchLinux

Here is that router in a box http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2839/p1010898il.jpg http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3585/p1010899t.jpg
    and this is server http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/5005/p1020082d.jpg

• @Amfy yes, of course. I wonder why don't we have low end boxes. We have cheap internet and cheap electricity, but you can't find any VPS cheaper than $10/month in Russia.