Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Set Ubuntu Static IP Address regardless of Mac ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Set Ubuntu Static IP Address regardless of Mac ?

Here is the thing. I want to make a virtualbo image (VDI / VHD) with Ubuntu on it.

The way ubuntu set it's ip is different than Windows. on Windows When I set the IP on NIC-1, it will stay that way. Even if I change the Mac, the IP won't change. This doesn't apply on Ubuntu.

On Ubuntu the IP is bind to interface/mac address, so when I distribute the Virtualbox Image, the end user, need to set up the IP themselves, because the mac address will change, or they need to change the mac to match my mac address.

Any solution ? I know there is a solution out there, I have done it a few years ago. But I forget how I find it.

Thanks.

p.s. In case some of you confused what I mean by mac address on virtualbox.

Comments

  • You've set it as a host-only adapter rather than a local DHCP vended one?

  • Hi, Mr. yokowasis
    Kabar baik?

    Try to export vm (File -> Export Appliance) instead of distribute disk. This operation will write set information of vm (afaik including mac address). Do you work with local goverment regarding to vm distribution?

  • @Letzien said:
    You've set it as a host-only adapter rather than a local DHCP vended one?

    Why would I use DHCP IP if There is no DHCP Server. Also it has nothing to do with my question.

    @blackhiden said:
    Hi, Mr. yokowasis
    Kabar baik?

    Try to export vm (File -> Export Appliance) instead of distribute disk. This operation will write set information of vm (afaik including mac address). Do you work with local goverment regarding to vm distribution?

    Hi, yes kabar baik.

    The thing is, my users is more familiar using image of the disk rather than importing the vm. If I need to change things, might as well, give the user the user my mac address and input it themselves on the virtualbox.

  • oh, ngga kebalik?
    You just need to double-click *.ova file instead of create new vm.

  • @blackhiden said:
    oh, ngga kebalik?
    You just need to double-click *.ova file instead of create new vm.

    Belum nyoba sih. I will try it later. If it's easier than creating it manually then it's good solution.

  • That's funny, I would have said the opposite. I don't really change MAC addresses, but usually another network connection gets made and defaults to DHCP. I'd have to use a boot time script to set IP on install for Windows.

    For Linux, all my static IPs are set in configuration files and I've never touched MAC addresses.

    How are you setting the static IP in Ubuntu? Which Ubuntu version?

  • @TimboJones said:
    That's funny, I would have said the opposite. I don't really change MAC addresses, but usually another network connection gets made and defaults to DHCP. I'd have to use a boot time script to set IP on install for Windows.

    For Linux, all my static IPs are set in configuration files and I've never touched MAC addresses.

    How are you setting the static IP in Ubuntu? Which Ubuntu version?

    I am using network manager (GUI)

Sign In or Register to comment.