Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low cost VPS wanted for minimal usage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low cost VPS wanted for minimal usage

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a low cost VPS to use as a place to store files that are downloaded from my main site. Currently only looking at 3/4GB files so probably wanting about10-20GB storage.

Doesn't have to be great spec, HDD or SSD acceptable, won't use much bandwidth as it's a site used within a small team of colleagues only.

Location unimportant as no private information will be stored on it, and again the difference it will make in download speeds isn't important.

My only concern is reliability. Don't want it to be down all the time or a company that's popped up recently and will disappear in a few weeks/months (hence asking for recommendations).

Thanks

Comments

• Hetzner.

Thanked by 1GGood93
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2019

Lunanode.

EDIT2:

Guessing a few other options likely to suit your needs as well, but Lunanode comes to mind due to resizable storage volumes and ability to "shelve" a VPS to reduce cost further if it's used only once in a while.

As for reliability - I get the impression that they're pretty solid though not infallible. https://status.lunanode.com/ might give some idea of how they handle their shit.

I'd suggest best bet for reliability - especially for storing data - may be redundancy.

That is to say, another VPS.

Because 2 VPSs are better than one. (And so on.)

Here's a short list of hosts I've found on LET that have been in business for "a while" and that I think are generally reliable and reasonably priced:

• AlphaVPS
    • Budgetnode
    • BuyVM
    • CrownCloud
    • Deepnet Solutions
    • First-Root
    • Hetzner
    • HostHatch
    • ImpactVPS
    • Inception Hosting
    • IonSwitch
    • Lunanode
    • SpartanHost
    • UltraVPS
    • Virmach
    • WisHosting

I'm leaving some out because it's supposed to be a short list.

• Have a look at our sale offers. 8 locations to choose from. I am sure one will fit your requirements.
    https://hostdochost.i.ng

Thanked by 1GGood93
  • edited February 2019

lowendspirit.com

Rock solid for cheap price.. If you know NAT VPS..

Thanked by 1GGood93
  • @chocolateshirt agree LES is quality and NAT might work okay for requested use (could save something like $1 per month by sharing IPV4 address)

but ... OP is looking for 10 to 20 GB storage. Not sure - do you know if any current LES offers have that much?

@HostDoc could do a nice custom SSD + HDD offer for this

• @KuJoe has a NAT with 25gb hdd in the USandA for $5/year if that works, @exception0x876 also has a NAT with Iirc 50gb for the same price in France I believe.

• Thanks guys, all the info looks great, really appreciate it. Decided to try a NAT VPS - never used one before so may be a learning curve but always handy to learn something new - I'm assuming just a matter of some fancy port redirection to get it working - however as I'm going to be serving the content using static links on a site hosted on my VPS elsewhere it really shouldn't be an issue either way.

Thanked by 2uptime eol
  • edited February 2019

We offer all kinds of VPS, our products are adapted to you, check out our products https://thebeasthosting.com/ loves nulled software and is a scam

• @TheBeastHosting said:
    We offer all kinds of VPS, our products are adapted to you, check out our products https://thebeasthosting.com/ loves nulled software and is a scam

EPYCCC....

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Right now we can offer KVM SSD VPS from £3.50 per month for the following plan: 2GB of RAM / 15GB of SSD / 2TB of Bandwidth

• @GGood93 said:
    Decided to try a NAT VPS - never used one before so may be a learning curve but always handy to learn something new - I'm assuming just a matter of some fancy port redirection to get it working

Most of the time they also offer IPv6, and all good internet providers should be using IPv6, so you may not even need to deal with port forwarding. I think they provide NATted IPv4 addresses just for legacy use cases that don't support IPv6.

Thanked by 1mikho