Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wholesaleinternet Grab bag from $19/mo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wholesaleinternet Grab bag from $19/mo

Looks like the P4 is back in stock! and a few more goodies..

https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/

Comments

• Damn they need to retire that p4!

• sundaymousesundaymouse Member
    edited October 2013

Seriously, does that P4 have better benchmark than the single core Atom?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2013

The lowest has 320 (Singelcore Intel Atom) and P4 has 184+, maybe you get a p4 with 400+ benchmark but i dont think so.

• The 19USD plan always comes out:)

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

They must be getting quite a deal on electricity! I'd imagine that those old P4 systems must accrue nearly $19 per month in electricity costs alone.

• I don't see why an Atom would cost more than a Pentium 4, it costs a hell of a lot less to run one.

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

The P4 comes with hyperthreading, so it's still a capable machine even thought the passmark suggest otherwise.

compared to the atom it's about half the score.. atom 330 @ 593 and P4 2.8 @ 335

I think there is still a lot of folks using P4 as their main desktop but yeah the novelty of a $19/mo P4 server may have worn off, then again if not for the CPU, having a 100 Mbit unmetered the bandwidth alone is probably worth the $19/mo cost.

• @BrianHarrison said:
    They must be getting quite a deal on electricity! I'd imagine that those old P4 systems must accrue nearly $19 per month in electricity costs alone.

I would not think so.. maybe more like $7-$10/mo

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

@Jeffrey said:
    I don't see why an Atom would cost more than a Pentium 4, it costs a hell of a lot less to run one.

Well for one, it probably cost more to purchase an atom system over say a P4 where you can buy branded dell/HP for $10-30 complete on like ebay, Craigslist.. also there seems to be more demand for the atom, not really sure why everybody likes them so much.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited October 2013

Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

Yeah.. they come and go, thanks for letting us know

Actually the i5 looks like a decent deal i think it's a new plan..

@earl said:
    I would not think so.. maybe more like $7-$10/mo

Of course it was an exaggeration, but not by much. If those systems use 180 watts on average, then you'd be looking at a ~$13 per month electrical bill at Missouri's current commercial electricity rates of 10.3 cents per kWh.

But, I don't know how much those systems will actually draw on average--I don't have a P4 machine I can measure with my Kill-A-Watt meter :-)

@earl said:
    Well for one, it probably cost more to purchase an atom system over say a P4 where you can buy branded dell/HP for $10-30 complete on like ebay, Craigslist.. also there seems to be more demand for the atom, not really sure why everybody likes them so much.

Datacenters love the Atom. If you have a good scheme to achieve high density or if space isn't a concern, then you can pack in a ton of Atom servers and use very little power.

With our server deployments, power is very often the primary limiting factor we have to contend with.

• @BrianHarrison said:
    But, I don't know how much those systems will actually draw on average--

Well, if say they use it to decode 24/7 then it's possible WII would be losing money from just the power use but considering that the videocard is generally not used and probably no other periperals like cd-rom etc is in use it probably does not consume that much power if it idles most of the times..

I don't have a P4 machine I can measure with my Kill-A-Watt meter :-)

That's funny I have a P4 but don't have a Kill-A-Watt meter to test.. lol

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

@BrianHarrison said:
    Datacenters love the Atom. If you have a good scheme to achieve high density or if space isn't a concern, then you can pack in a ton of Atom servers and use very little power.

With our server deployments, power is very often the primary limiting factor we have to contend with.

Actually @rm_ pointed out these neat little motherboards with cpu onboard and I found something like this gigabyte that would probably draw little power and cost $90/board.. I was saying if more providers followed ovh, facebook with the opencompute concept you can rack these little servers for $194 complete with PS, 4Gb ram, 1TB drive..

• c0yc0y Member
    edited October 2013

@earl said:
    Actually @rm_ pointed out these neat little motherboards with cpu onboard and I found something like this gigabyte that would probably draw little power and cost $90/board.. I was saying if more providers followed ovh, facebook with the opencompute concept you can rack these little servers for $194 complete with PS, 4Gb ram, 1TB drive..

Go for it!

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

Yes the one I pointed out is celereon based.. GIGABYTE GA-C1007UN-D Intel Celeron 1007U with a cpumark @ 1440

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128598

or this one Foxconn D70S-P Intel Celeron 1037U cpumark @ 1728

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186236

@Frost said:
    Go for it!

I would except I don't own a DC..lol

• @Frost said:
    That's $103 lol, probably uses more power too, not super budget at all

Actually the celeron U is pretty low powered too.. considering it's more powerful over the atom..

Intel Celeron 1037U @ 1.80GHz cpumark@1728, Max TDP - 17 W

Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz cpumark @ 653, Max TDP - 6.5 W

• strexstrex Member
    edited October 2013

Got my 19$ server today.

It seems they do not have a panel where you can reboot, reinstall etc.

• @strex said: Got my 19$ server today.

Here's the reply I got from WI when asked for KVM on demand to install custom OS or reinstall corrupted OS:

A KVM is over for emergency only, if you were to corrupt the server beyond the point of use being able to fix it is the only time we offer a KVM. If you need a reload or reboot we handle that.

• andrzej said: KVM is over for emergency only, if you were to corrupt the server beyond the point of use being able to fix it is the only time we offer a KVM. If you need a reload or reboot we handle that.

Thay handle reboot?

• @strex said:
    Got my 19$ server today.

yup.. no such panel, you just have to put in a ticket, it's pretty amazing how quickly they reply too..

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

I just noticed wholesale offering an i3 deal identical to OVH KS1

I3-2100
    2 Cores / 4 Threads
    3.1Ghz
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    2x 1TB Hard Drive
    100Mbit Unmetered Monthly Transfer
    Linux/Windows* OS
    5 usable IPv4 Address
    /64 IPv6 Address Block**
    FREE Setup
    $ 39.00 /month

• earl said: I just noticed wholesale offering an i3 deal identical to OVH KS1

OVH KS1 has i3 2130 instead though. :)

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

@NateN34 said:

yeah.. pretty close thought.

cpumark difference between the two processor is about 418, so you lose about an atom's worth of processing power.

on the plus side you get 5 IP's vs OVH's 4.