Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cPanel with Outlook 2016 – Bug with Reply Flags not showing using IMAP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cPanel with Outlook 2016 – Bug with Reply Flags not showing using IMAP?

nqservicesnqservices Member
edited February 2019 in General

Hi all (specially for the email providers here, yes I'm talking of you experts :) @jar @mailcheap @MikePT and @CrossBox )

I’m using an IMAP email account from a shared cPanel provider and after I setup the email on my computer using Outlook 2016 (v1808 - 16.0.10730.20280 - 64 bit) I think I found a bug that makes the Reply flags not to show. After some other tests seems the bug is with other IMAP accounts that do not use cPanel, making the issue not related with cPanel in specific, but with IMAP and/or Outlook 2016)

The problem with this is that you cannot see what emails have already been responded.

So, I ask anyone here on LET that has a computer with Outlook 2016 to make the bellow simple test, to confirm if this is an Outlook 2016 bug or an issue with my own computer or email account.

1- Send 1 test email to the IMAP account you have in Outlook 2016.
2- Click on email to open and send a test reply message.
3- In my case the Reply flag does not show.

But if I open the email, then open other and then get back to the original test email and reply, in that case the Reply flag shows ok. You can test as follows:

1- Send 2 test emails to the IMAP account you have in Outlook 2016.
2- Click on email test1 to open. Do not reply.
3- Click on email test2 to open. Do not reply.
4- Click again on email test1 and reply now.
5- You will see the Reply flag shows ok.

So, to resume, the bug seems to happen only when we open a email and reply to it directly without changing selection or seeing other emails.

Can anyone please test and confirm this? Thanks

Thanked by 1MikePT

Comments

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

Have you try using another email client like thunderbird?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I do not have Outlook, using Mailbird here. Cant confirm the bug sadly!

• @lonea said:

No. But my main objective is to confirm if this happens to others using Outlook 2016, because 99% of my clients use it.

• CrossBoxCrossBox Member, Patron Provider

The replied flag needs to be set properly by the mail client so this may indicate that either Outlook is not doing it right or the IMAP server is not setting it right.

Try with a webmail client or Thunderbird to get Outlook out of the equation and to see if other mail clients have the same problem.

None of the people using CrossBox with cPanel had reported this or similar issue.

• @nqservices said:

@lonea said:

No. But my main objective is to confirm if this happens to others using Outlook 2016, because 99% of my clients use it.

99% of your clients can't confirm a bug you are experiencing or notified you at all?

Thanked by 1lonea
  • @MikePT said:

As an email provider can't you find a team member or office computer where you can test this? I'm almost sure many of your enterprise clients use Outlook 2016.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@nqservices said:

@MikePT said:

As an email provider can't you find a team member or office computer where you can test this? I'm almost sure many of your enterprise clients use Outlook 2016.

I can ask tomorrow certainly. Its 1:33am here

• nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited February 2019

@smile said:
    99% of your clients can't confirm a bug you are experiencing or notified you at all?

99% does not mean that I have many clients. I'm a freelancer with a small number of enterprise clients. They have told me about this 2 times already, but because it's a issue that only happens in a specific way, the flag sometimes show. That is the reason I'm asking here. So tech people can help me confirm this bug.

There are many hosting providers here, and Im sure most of their Enterprise clients use Outlook 2016. So if this issue is confirmed, it affects many many people and all providers here should be aware.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

If there's Outlook involved, its probably Outlook.

Pavin.

Thanked by 1eol
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2019

What is a reply flag? I think the key is fully articulating the expected action at a certain stage and how that breaks from the live scenario. Then we can know what system should be responsible for that action. That in itself may fully explain the reason.

The mail servers themselves do not know the difference between a reply and a new outbound email. Most likely you’re seeing two email clients not compliment each other in the way that you desire. Though I can’t see it through your eyes just yet in my head, so I may be off base.

Dafaq? Do you know how troubleshooting work?

You eliminate the possibilities by trying another client. Not because of your "main objective"

@nqservices said:

@lonea said:

Thanked by 1eol
  • @jar said:
    What is a reply flag?

Are you talking seriously? I'm sure I don't have to explain to you what a reply flag is.

@lonea said:
    Dafaq? Do you know how troubleshooting work?
    You eliminate the possibilities by trying another client. Not because of your "main objective"

Very helpfull you comment.... If you read my first message with attention I said "if this is an Outlook 2016 bug or an issue with my own computer or email account"

• @CrossBox said:
    None of the people using CrossBox with cPanel had reported this or similar issue.

Do you have people using Outlook 2016? Also as I said before the issue only happens if you open and reply directly. Can you make this test form your end? If this is a real bug, its a real and big problem for enterprise clients, where from my experience 90% use Outlook to manage the emails.

edited February 2019

Are you talking seriously? I'm sure I don't have to explain to you what a reply flag is.

Yes, I do not know what you are referring to. Perhaps a language barrier but I have never heard “reply flag” said before. I’m worried that any assumption I make may miss the point.

@eol said:

If that is indeed what he is referring to, I can safely say that this is an email client specific feature and has no relation to email servers or services.

Thanked by 2eol AlwaysSkint
    edited February 2019

@jar said:

Yes, I do not know what you are referring to. Perhaps a language barrier but I have never heard “reply flag” said before. I’m worried that any assumption I make may miss the point.

I will try to explain the best I can: When I say Reply Flag I mean the little arrow icon that shows after you Reply to an email. This icon purpose is to show what emails have already been responded.

I also send you bellow a image screenshot where you can see the Reply Flags both on Outlook 2016 and also on Roundcube: https://ibb.co/DwkyZtd

Did you understand now what I mean with Reply Flag? If that is not the "official name", I'm sorry. Thanks

Thanked by 1jar

BECAUSE you would know if this is a outlook 2016 bug if you test it with another mail client... jesus....

nqservices said: Very helpfull you comment.... If you read my first message with attention I said "if this is an Outlook 2016 bug or an issue with my own computer or email account"

edited February 2019

@lonea said:
    BECAUSE you would know if this is a outlook 2016 bug if you test it with another mail client... jesus....

I understand your point of view... but I found it strange to be a Outlook 2016 bug, since most of enterprise companies are using it, and if this is a bug I found even more strange nobody detect this before.

Again, if it's a bug, this is a major problem and affects all users using Outlook 2016 with IMAP accounts.

So my first idea was that the issue was related with my own email account or computer. But I have now tested with eMClient and the issue does not happen. There I made what you asked and now I'm exactly in the same place. I need to know if other Outlook 2016 users experience this issue.

So instead of having you waste your time and mine talking about nothing, maybe you can help and make some tests from your end.

You are a provider, correct? Do you sell cPanel hosting plans with IMAP email to clients that use Outlook 2016? If yes, you should be interested in confirming this issue... in the interest of your clients, not mine.

@nqservices said:

@jar said:

I will try to explain the best I can: When I say Reply Flag I mean the little arrow icon that shows after you Reply to an email. This icon purpose is to show what emails have already been responded.

I also send you bellow a image screenshot where you can see the Reply Flags both on Outlook 2016 and also on Roundcube: https://ibb.co/DwkyZtd

Did you understand now what I mean with Reply Flag? If that is not the "official name", I'm sorry. Thanks

Thanks for explaining, I see what you mean now. I can go ahead and speak from a more informed perspective to state that it is an email client feature which is not recognized by the IMAP server as a function. That can at least help you in troubleshooting as you can be sure that it is not caused by server side functionality.

Thanked by 1eol
    edited February 2019

@jar said:
    I can go ahead and speak from a more informed perspective to state that it is an email client feature which is not recognized by the IMAP server as a function.

Did you had any complaints or heard from your clients about this? Also now that you know what I mean with "Reply Flag" do you know what's the "official name" of this feature?

And if this is a client feature and not related with the server, why is that when I reply from Webmail interface it will show the reply flag both on Webmail and also on my Phone (and vice-versa)? It was my idea that one of the IMAP features was to be able to sync the email status flags (reply, forward) between devices.

edited February 2019

Thanks but no, because I see the Reply Flag when making the second test. If this was a View option/setting I would never see any Reply Flags.

edited February 2019

Actually maybe you could do some test on your end with another client instead of trying to explain what you are trying to do and fail.

With the amount of explaining you have done in this thread, you could have easily done the test yourself.

And no... nobody is going to help you do tests for your clients.

But if you insists, reply flag work for outlook

http://prntscr.com/mkppie

nqservices said: So instead of having you waste your time and mine talking about nothing, maybe you can help and make some tests from your end.

• @lonea said:
    Actually maybe you could do some test on your end with another client instead of trying to explain what you are trying to do and fail.

With the amount of explaining you have done in this thread, you could have easily done the test yourself.

nqservices said: So instead of having you waste your time and mine talking about nothing, maybe you can help and make some tests from your end.

Actually all these tests are stupid because it seem clear to me it was an outlook problem. What's the point of verifying an outlook bug that none of us are aware of. Surely microsoft will know about this thread.

Here's some stickers for those of you who wasted their time with this.

Thanked by 1lonea
    edited February 2019

@lonea said:

First I want to say that I have just asked for people that have Outlook 2016 to make 2 simple tests that do not take more than 2 minutes to make. Last time I checked this is a forum where people can talk, ask for help and suggestions. About me explaning, I think I was very clear on my first message.

Now about your result where you say Reply Flag is working on your Outlook 2016, can you please tell me if that is the result of the frst or second test? Also can you share your exact Outlook version?

@smile said:
    What's the point of verifying an outlook bug that none of us are aware of.

LOL. No comments...

• I can't help you since I don't use Microshitpoop.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint

@nqservices said:

@jar said:
    I can go ahead and speak from a more informed perspective to state that it is an email client feature which is not recognized by the IMAP server as a function.

Did you had any complaints or heard from your clients about this? Also now that you know what I mean with "Reply Flag" do you know what's the "official name" of this feature?

And if this is a client feature and not related with the server, why is that when I reply from Webmail interface it will show the reply flag both on Webmail and also on my Phone (and vice-versa)? It was my idea that one of the IMAP features was to be able to sync the email status flags (reply, forward) between devices.

I haven’t heard anything. Roundcube is also an email client and although it may exist on the same server as the mail server, it is as independent as Outlook or Thunderbird. Perhaps it reads a Sent folder for the subject with “Re:” added to it or something, I’m not sure. IMAP server doesn’t have a trigger for it though, I can say that much for sure.

edited February 2019

Just to inform that issue is resolved. It was caused by Kaspersky Anti-Virus plugin. After disable and complete removal from Outlook 2016 the issue does not happen.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @nqservices said:
    It was caused by Kaspersky Anti-Virus trojan plugin.