Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what has been the weirdest demand you have been confronted with by a customer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

So what has been the weirdest demand you have been confronted with by a customer?

Surely most of us have had to do with a huge variety of customers.
What has been the weirdest task/demand you have been confronted with by a customer?

I've just seen this video again and just had to ask :D

For my part I will first have to give it some thought and post later.

Comments

• Sex.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @eol said:
    Sex.

Did you go along with it?

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • @Ympker said:

@eol said:
    Sex.

Did you go along with it?

Of course not.
    Need to stay professional.

Thanked by 2Ympker Chuck
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2019

A customer signed up with obvious fake information, name and street address where one (1) character long. Also using an IP from another hosting provider (ie VPN).

Got stuck in maxmind and immediately opened a ticket that I should allow that person to order.
    I answered no and that person demanded to have his/her personal information removed.

• @mikho said:
    A customer signed up with obvious fake date, name and street address where one (1) character long. Also using an IP from another hosting provider (ie VPN).

Got stuck in maxmind and immediately opened a ticket to let that person order.
    I answered no and that person demanded to have his/her personal information removed.

lol

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Ympker said:
    lol

This.

• He asked me if he could purchase a silencer. To this day I have no clue what was he talking about.

Thanked by 2Ympker Janevski
  • @andrewforest said:
    He asked me if he could purchase a silencer. To this day I have no clue what was he talking about.

Hmm.. maybe this?

Thanked by 2eol andrewforest
  • @Ympker said:

@andrewforest said:
    He asked me if he could purchase a silencer. To this day I have no clue what was he talking about.

Hmm.. maybe this?

Or maybe this... who knows...

Thanked by 2Ympker eol
  • I'm not at liberty to discuss anything under the employment of others, but one of the stranger memories I haveis back when I work for myself as a lowly PC tech.

The confusing part was this was not a overly rich area, but is of someone who was willing to buy several thousand dollars worth of computer hardware- but then couldn't assemble it themselves so they paid me too set up their machine with raid 0, SSD cached primary drive a little bunch of other fun stuff.

They must have paid nearly $4,500 in hardware at the time to build a hell of a machine, but how could someone do so much research and actually make some good decisions where money was no object - without knowing how to plug in a video card?

While working on the internet, I think one of my strangest request was for someone who wanted me to go back through and delete all the email EVER sent to anyone ever as though it never happened. That's just an incredible fundamental misunderstanding of how things work.

I'm not getting I even bother with all the entitled assholes after around 2015 - they're just more noise these days and I don't even pay attention.

Thanked by 3eol andrewforest Ympker
  • @Letzien said:
    I'm not at liberty to discuss anything under the employment of others, but one of the stranger memories I haveis back when I work for myself as a lowly PC tech.

The confusing part was this was not a overly rich area, but is of someone who was willing to buy several thousand dollars worth of computer hardware- but then couldn't assemble it themselves so they paid me too set up their machine with raid 0, SSD cached primary drive a little bunch of other fun stuff.

They must have paid nearly $4,500 in hardware at the time to build a hell of a machine, but how could someone do so much research and actually make some good decisions where money was no object - without knowing how to plug in a video card?

While working on the internet, I think one of my strangest request was for someone who wanted me to go back through and delete all the email EVER sent to anyone ever as though it never happened. That's just an incredible fundamental misunderstanding of how things work.

I'm not getting I even bother with all the entitled assholes after around 2015 - they're just more noise these days and I don't even pay attention.

Delete all E-Mail ever sent. Loool. That's not how the internet works.

• @Ympker said:

Needless to say, I politely explained that once you put something on the Internet it's like pee in a pool- or, in the case of this place, turds in a blanket. Once it's there, it's there.

Thanked by 4Janevski eol t0m Oseri
  • @Letzien said:

@Ympker said:

Needless to say, I politely explained that once you put something on the Internet it's like pee in a pool- or, in the case of this place, turds in a blanket. Once it's there, it's there.

Well said.

Thanked by 2eol Ympker
  • @Ympker said:
    Surely most of us have had to do with a huge variety of customers.
    What has been the weirdest task/demand you have been confronted with by a customer?

I've just seen this video again and just had to ask :D

For my part I will first have to give it some thought and post later.

I'm offended by this video. The Asian clearly is making things difficult for the 4 CaucASIANS. Ironically just like 90 percent of the topics on this forum.

• That clip gave me PTSD.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2019

Former customer requested to delete all existing data regarding to gdpr. After we confirmed that he requested a copy of all his data and wanted to sue us cause we can't provide the copy or even knew who he was.

• @HostDoc i would like to know from you? i am sure you have many.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • That is hilarious.
    In all honesty, what is so hard about using a blue pen to draw a red line?

Moving on... @ehab

Our weirdest and funniest request was a client who wanted a server in New york or close by.
    We did not have a USA location at this point and it was pointed out to the client. They asked for alternatives. All of our locations as well as looking glass was provided.
    Client idled for 2 hours.
    Came back to live chat and once again requested a server in New York.
    Canada was suggested or a different host as we did not have a US presence.
    Client leaves.
    Client comes back 2 days later and request a New york server. It was re-iterated to him that we do not have that location.
    They proceeded to argue that live chat informed them that New York will be back in stock in a few days. ?? .
    Client leaves.
    Client returned a few hours later and purchases a server in Finland.
    Client leaves.
    Client returned a few hours later and purchases a server in Finland.
    Client leaves.
    Client returned a few hours later and purchases a server in UK.
    Client leaves.
    Client returns the next day, this time with their name displayed (as they now have services) and request a server in New York.
    We go through the same dance and inform them about their Finland and UK instances.
    Client says, no, they do not need servers in Europe just New York.
    We attempt to continue chatting but client leaves.
    A few days later, client returns and asks about our UK node, specs etc. We mention they already have one, why not just use that to get direct answers.
    Client denies having a service or account with us even though they are signed in.
    Client leaves.
    Client returns a few hours later accusing us of fraud and theft. That we had accessed their paypal and purchased services. Client demands a refund and informs us he will sue us and change his PP password.
    Client is still within refund period so we process refund for all 3 VPS minus the gateway fee's.
    Client opens dispute for the fee's.
    Client return the next day requesting VPS in New York and proceeds to purchase a Canada VPS despite being told he could no longer purchase a service from us.
    Client pays for service and it is auto provisioned.
    It is immediately terminated and refunded minus gateway fee.
    Client opens dispute for gateway fee.
    We block the IP and close the account.
    Client comes back with a VPN IP and ask about New York servers. We ignore the request and block the IP.
    Client returns and goes straight to purchase a Canada VPS on an annual plan.
    Client stupidly registers under their name again but different email address and we still missed it until fraudrecord was checked and we saw our own entry.
    Client VPS is immediately terminated.
    Client goes straight to paypal and request a chargeback.
    We escalate straight to paypal and provide transcripts of all chats, invoices, tickets and anything relevant to the claim.
    A week or so later, we win.
    We minused admin fee, all the other disputed gateway fee's and refund the client the rest.

Have not seen or heard from this mysterious New York VPS seeker since. Not even a thank you for the money we won but refunded what was not ours.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

A client pays 5 grand to do something.

But never heard back from him. He paid 5 grand for nothing.

Thanked by 1eol
  • Recently I was asked to create a $1000 invoice for $100 Software.

• @yokowasis said:
    Recently I was asked to create a $1000 invoice for $100 Software.

that is normal in 3rd world public/private sector relationships.

• I had a similar experience as deank;

A guy that got my name from one of my clients calls in december and says he need a website next year but want the invoice and cost before the year ends. Sent him an $2k invoice and and never heard from him. This was 6-7 years ago.

Thanked by 1MrH
  • @deank said:
    A client pays 5 grand to do something.

But never heard back from him. He paid 5 grand for nothing.

His end was nigh :(

Thanked by 1eol
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited February 2019

@ehab said:

@yokowasis said:
    Recently I was asked to create a $1000 invoice for $100 Software.

that is normal in 3rd world public/private sector relationships.

I had this happen in germany too and I wouldnt call it a 3rd world country.
    They even gave me a receipt that i donated to them, for my tax statement.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @pike said:
    ... 3rd world country ...

most common, under the table business.

• Thanked by 1eol
  • @ehab said:

justice is lost justice is raped justice is GONE

Thanked by 1ehab
  • I had a customer in Bulgaria who wanted me to marry his daughter.