Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Esxi 6.5 on Kimsufi IPV6 and 4 working!! (walk through)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Esxi 6.5 on Kimsufi IPV6 and 4 working!! (walk through)

Hi,

so as you know some providers only provide 1 ipv4, this isn't good if you want to host esxi for example.

With IPV6 you can use this as the esxi host then configure PFsense using the IPV4 address.

setup as normal, access esxi over V4,

here:https://communities.vmware.com/thread/336166
setup V6 on the esxi host.

this is the important bit !!

you need to enter BOTH V6 address.(replace with yours)
2001:41d0:2:b749:dead:beef:cafe:1/64 < this will be your IP in the portal
2001:41d0:2:b7ff:dead:beef:cafe:1/64 < change the last 2 for ff
gateway - 2001:41d0:2:36FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

then the gateway will be accepted.
if configured correctly you will see a NEW IPV6 port group.

i setup a AAAA dns to point to the ::1 V6 address, once you have access to the esxi host on the V6 address, go into the vmk0 and replace the V4 address with (i used) 12.12.12.0)
MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING THE IPV6 ADDRESS AT THIS TIME!!!!!!!!!

once done install PFsense, change the MAC address of the 1st vm adapter (spoofing). (bound to the external card.) WAN
create a new Virtual switch, call it LAN, add this a the 2nd network card. LAN

once booted you should see the pfsense get the ipv4 from dhcp.

either cli to open the wan port to administrator the pfsense or instill an OS to access.

you now should be able to install vm's to get internet via the pfsense on the LAN interface.

its taken me about a week to finally do it and its working great !!
James.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

v6 works fine on Kimsufi also with Proxmox, nothing new.
    All machines get a dedicated v6 address, runs fine.

• @Neoon said:
    v6 works fine on Kimsufi also with Proxmox, nothing new.
    All machines get a dedicated v6 address, runs fine.

not disputing ipv6 is working, its a help so you can use esxi to host other vms on IPV4.

• You could also do this with a private v4 network NATed and/or masqueraded.

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • I couldn't get VMware ESXi installed on a Kimsufi 4C, the template does not appear in the drop-down menu. Any idea why?

• ESXi templates have been removed from Kimsufi some time ago ;-)

Thanked by 1simlev
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited February 2019

@JamesDyke While i wasn't able to follow the whole post due to being distracted, i read the warnings, saw the caps locks, exclamation marks too and figured out something written with such passion is a truthful fruit of labor, effort and love, therefore, Mr. Dyke, i wholeheartedly thank you in the name of the people of Letopia.

Thanked by 1eol
  • msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited February 2019

To set up IPv6, change your netmask to /56 and you are all good. No need to add 2 IPs.

For NAT, pfSense is one option, but you can also go with any router image, OpenWRT be one of them.

• @jamzed said:
    ESXi templates have been removed from Kimsufi some time ago ;-)

Can anyone explain to me how this walkthrough can be useful if there's no option to install ESXi on a Kimsufi? Maybe together with another walkthrough...

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

simlev said: Can anyone explain to me how this walkthrough can be useful if there's no option to install ESXi on a Kimsufi? Maybe together with another walkthrough...

ESXi is available only in Xeon. Just KS Xeon is the servers with SYS which were transferred to KS and therefore ESXi is available for them.

Thanked by 1simlev
  • In my opinion this is too much of a hassle since for a few euros more you can get a SyS with a bit better specs and 16 IPv4 IP's plus the IPv6 /64. The KS Xeon is just a downgraded SyS.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2019

@Malin said:
    In my opinion this is too much of a hassle since for a few euros more you can get a SyS with a bit better specs and 16 IPv4 IP's plus the IPv6 /64. The KS Xeon is just a downgraded SyS.

On SYS - Xeon E3-1245v2/1225v2 is not available for installation of VMware. Previously it was possible, now it is impossible.

Available for installation only on E3-1231v3, E5-2650v2, E5-2670v2, E5-2690v2, E5-1630v3, E5-1650v3, I7-6700K, i7-4790K (selectively, not all available), E5-1620v2, E5-1650v2, E5-1620, E5-1650, E5-2670, Opteron 6128, Opteron 4334 servers.