Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a VPS for Plex
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a VPS for Plex

chyllyphyllychyllyphylly Member
edited February 2019 in General

What sort of specs should I be looking for?

I will be only running Plex with Gsuite Storage, (don’t need Sonarr, Radarr, etc), transcoding at 1080p (eyes are knackered, can’t tell the difference with 4K), and only I will be using it.

I’m in the UK, with a 20Mbs download speed and buffering really annoys me.

Comments

• XenosXenos Member
    edited February 2019

I use a 2GB slice from BuyVM for my Plex server.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @Xenos said:

The Slice 2048?

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @chyllyphylly said:

@Xenos said:

The Slice 2048?

Yes

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • We have E5 servers in the UK and also France that handle plex very well.
    Have a look here
    Test IP UK - 1gbps
    Test IP France - 250mbps

• @HostDoc said:
    We have E5 servers in the UK and also France that handle plex very well.
    Have a look here
    Test IP UK - 1gbps
    Test IP France - 250mbps

Wouldn’t one need dedicated cores for handling transcoding to not cannibalize CPU use for the rest of the server?

• @sgheghele said:

@HostDoc said:
    Have a look here
    Test IP UK - 1gbps
    [Test IP France](http://f rtip.hostdoc.co.uk) - 250mbps

Wouldn’t one need dedicated cores for handling transcoding to not cannibalize CPU use for the rest of the server?

It depends on your usage. The 2048 works great with my media and frequency of streaming. You probably want to bump up to the dedicated core plan if you are constantly transcoding.

Thanked by 1sgheghele
  • @sgheghele said:

@HostDoc said:
    Have a look here
    Test IP UK - 1gbps
    Test IP France - 250mbps

Not necessarily. It is highly dependant on how heavy your usage is. We have a plan made specifically for plex which defaults to France because that was previously the only plex server we had.
    With that plan, you are free to thrash the CPU as it has been dedicated to your use.
    With our normal plan's, you are able to spike daily but not constantly so for heavy users, they would be better off getting a plex plan.

• @HostDoc said:

@sgheghele said:

@HostDoc said:
    Have a look here
    Test IP UK - 1gbps
    Test IP France - 250mbps

Not necessarily. It is highly dependant on how heavy your usage is. We have a plan made specifically for plex
    With that plan, you are free to thrash the CPU as it has been dedicated to your use.

Could you please point me to that plan?

• So? What specs should I be looking for?

• If it’s just you using it with gsuite, get a kaby lake pc, celeron 3930 works, for around $160 and load up Linux on it. The cpu will easily handle multiple 1080p streams with hardware encoding. You will need a plex pass though.

• I have used contabo with just me is ok the vps ssd m

Thanked by 1chyllyphylly
  • @sgheghele said:

@HostDoc said:

@sgheghele said:

@HostDoc said:
    Have a look here
    Test IP UK - 1gbps
    Test IP France - 250mbps

Not necessarily. It is highly dependant on how heavy your usage is. We have a plan made specifically for plex

Could you please point me to that plan?

https://hostdoc.co.uk/hybrid

Go down to the bottom and ignore Germany, it is no longer offered there and the site needs a little update.

Thanked by 1sgheghele
  • Thanked by 2HostDoc uptime
  • Plex isn't as heavy as you think if you set it up right. I've been using a 2 core KVM with 768mb RAM allocated to the VM using local storage and sshfs and it has been flawless.

The trick is to be selective on what media types you use, if you plan to watch at 1080 then try not to get files higher than that. Also, set the transcode settings to fast.

My Plex usually at any given time is streaming something during the waking hours, some clients can direct play without transcode.

I can confirm the @HostDoc offer works, that's what I'm using now. I've been able to get it working nicely even on a $20 per year LEB VZ too, but that's a real gamble.

I hope that helps :)

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • @eol said:

One most definately does not, but in the case of the particular plan presented, one must!
    Or be faced with an out of stock message.

@dahartigan said:
    Plex isn't as heavy as you think if you set it up right. I've been using a 2 core KVM with 768mb RAM allocated to the VM using local storage and sshfs and it has been flawless.

The trick is to be selective on what media types you use, if you plan to watch at 1080 then try not to get files higher than that. Also, set the transcode settings to fast.

My Plex usually at any given time is streaming something during the waking hours, some clients can direct play without transcode.

I can confirm the @HostDoc offer works, that's what I'm using now. I've been able to get it working nicely even on a $20 per year LEB VZ too, but that's a real gamble.

I hope that helps :)

Thanks @dahartigan

I too can confirm @dahartigan knows what he is doing and has found how to transcode with 20% CPU allocation without needing to burst.
    I would not advise such an approach to someone who just get's it to work and thinks they are done without optimization tweaking.

Thanked by 2dahartigan eol