Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you do with a Windows VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would you do with a Windows VPS?

You have a 4-core VPS with 6GB RAM and a 1GB network connection running Windows Server 2012 R2. What do you do with it?

I'm currently using it to host 3 OpenSim virtual world regions, and it's performing very well.

Comments

• I'd wipe Windows and install Debian.

• I’m curious how people secure a dedi/cloud/vps running Windows. Is the windows firewall good enough? Setting up a VPN server (IPSec) seems difficult compared to Linux ... but doing a VPN site to site would be super safe method. Curious to hear comments. Anyone know some easy VPN setup scripts?

• Install non-shitstemd trojand Linux.

Thanked by 1Sanjue007
  • What would you do with a Windows VPS?

Format it and install Linux.

Debian thnx.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @eol said:
    Install non-shitstemd trojand Linux.

Slackware? If your primary computing interface is a VT-100 terminal then sure.. :)

Thanked by 1eol
  • Double anal.

• Is it 64-bit? Do You have rdp/VNC from the host node? If so, you could install TempleOS. I think you would likely throttle the cpu to the max soon and the host will likely ban you, so there, problem solved.

• @dahartigan said:

@eol said:
    Install non-shitstemd trojand Linux.

Slackware? If your primary computing interface is a VT-100 terminal then sure.. :)

LOL.
    Come on.
    Slackware is the best :P

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Idle.

• I would go for Windows 2016 and use it as rdp and run multiple programs that needs to be open all day : ex. insta bots, Twitter bots, very bug file downloaded uploads etc

• Run Windows Program. Such as one drive and Google drive. Because for some reason there isn't any Linux client that support 2 way sync like official software in windows. It's 2019, wtf Google and Microsoft.

• @yokowasis said:
    Run Windows Program. Such as one drive and Google drive. Because for some reason there isn't any Linux client that support 2 way sync like official software in windows. It's 2019, wtf Google and Microsoft.

Yeah, I could see that as being the only reason to run Windows. The closest I will ever get to running anything Windows related on a server is if it's written in mono. I'm looking at you jackett, sonarr, radarr and lidarr.

I don't think I'd be able to sleep at night if I had a Windows installation of any type that was directly connected to the internet, more so if it was a server. Maybe things have improved over the last 20 years?

Thanked by 1eol
  • let it idle because I can't use windows server

• GravelyGravely Member
    edited February 2019

May sound bad... But my internet connection here in Australia is 15mbps/0.8mbps. Uploading documents just simply doesn't work for me. So i use a simple 2c4GB Windows server as a terminal server to upload certain files etc

Thanked by 1uxtvdl
  • @Gravely said:
    May sound bad... But my internet connection here in Australia is 15mbps/0.8mbps. Uploading documents just simply doesn't work for me. So i use a simple 2c4GB Windows server as a terminal server to upload certain files etc

Damn, stuck on ADSL still? NBN will blow your mind.

If you don't mind me sticky beaking, which provider and location do you have that Windows KVM on?

• @dahartigan said:

@Gravely said:

If you don't mind me sticky beaking, which provider and location do you have that Windows KVM on?

Using Vultr running Windows 10 Pro (Custom ISO) on the $20/month USD plan. Just got to make sure you slipstream the VirtIO drivers otherwise the Windows installer won't be able to find the disk.

• @Gravely said:

@dahartigan said:

@Gravely said:

Using Vultr running Windows 10 Pro (Custom ISO) on the $20/month USD plan. Just got to make sure you slipstream the VirtIO drivers otherwise the Windows installer won't be able to find the disk.

That's a relatively expensive workaround, but horses for courses I guess :) I wonder if one of the Aussie providers have something cheaper. Even FlowVPS would be cheaper (and super premium and in Melbourne) than Vultr in your case unless I'm not seeing something..

• @dahartigan said:

@Gravely said:

@dahartigan said:

@Gravely said:

That's a relatively expensive workaround, but horses for courses I guess :) I wonder if one of the Aussie providers have something cheaper. Even FlowVPS would be cheaper (and super premium and in Melbourne) than Vultr in your case unless I'm not seeing something..

I'm sure you could get it to work on another provider, just got to have the ability to upload a custom ISO I guess.

You could run Windows on a lower model, I just find the 2c4gb server to be exactly what I need.

also with Vultr's network speed in Sydney. Its pretty neat.

• Oh you're on a Sydney Vultr, my bad! I thought it was in the US for some reason lol

That speedtest looks amazing! Looks like you have it pretty good there :)

Ps what state are you in? I'm assuming WA since you seem keen on trewq getting Perth added lol, I'm in Brisbane myself and am waiting for that lovely message saying BNE is ready for sale lol

• @dahartigan said:
    Oh you're on a Sydney Vultr, my bad! I thought it was in the US for some reason lol

Ps what state are you in? I'm assuming WA since you seem keen on trewq getting Perth added lol, I'm in Brisbane myself and am waiting for that lovely message saying BNE is ready for sale lol

NSW :( Supposed to get it by the end of year. Which normally means 2029 going by NBN's positive record

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @Gravely said:

@dahartigan said:
    Oh you're on a Sydney Vultr, my bad! I thought it was in the US for some reason lol

NSW :( Supposed to get it by the end of year. Which normally means 2029 going by NBN's positive record

Yeah the NBN is a hell of a mess (thanks Turnbull) but hold in there mate, it's worth the wait. My advice is to go with an ISP that isn't oversold, at NBN speeds that shit becomes noticeable way too easily. Do you know what tech they are installing in your area? If it's fixed wireless sell your house and move lol.

• @dahartigan said:

@Gravely said:

@dahartigan said:

Yeah the NBN is a hell of a mess (thanks Turnbull) but hold in there mate, it's worth the wait. My advice is to go with an ISP that isn't oversold, at NBN speeds that shit becomes noticeable way too easily. Do you know what tech they are installing in your area? If it's fixed wireless sell your house and move lol.

Doubt i will get FTTP, most likely FTTN or even FTTC.

• jbarr said: You have a 4-core VPS with 6GB RAM and a 1GB network connection running Windows Server 2012 R2. What do you do with it?

Tie it to my virtual boat and use it as a virtual anchor.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2019

Shave its belly with a rusty razor!

EDIT2:

actually, might be useful as a honeypot, of sorts ...

• @Gravely said:

I can understand :neutral:

• Most open source software is cross-platform so a lot of software you can run on Linux runs fine on Windows too. I've got a VPN with 10 GB RAM running Windows Server 2016 and run Jenkins, Prometheus, Grafana, and a few other apps on it.

doughnet said: Is the windows firewall good enough?

It's pretty good, and actually makes it quite easy to firewall services so they're only accessible on private networks (VPN) and not public networks.

doughnet said: Setting up a VPN server (IPSec) seems difficult compared to Linux

I use Tinc on all my servers, desktop PC, and laptop. Works pretty well.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Make the monies with Forex!

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Same as everyone else here does with their VPSes

Benchmark it, post results on LET, let it idle

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Pray it doesnt get jacked

Thanked by 3eol Letzien uptime
  • @hostnoob said:
    Same as everyone else here does with their VPSes

Benchmark it, post results on LET, let it idle

run hitleap / rankboostup and some other program and get the money back that i wasted on it :+1: