Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it profitable to mine crytpocurrency in dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it profitable to mine crytpocurrency in dedicated server

mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

Hi guys
Is it profitable to mine crytpocurrency ? any crytpocurrency not only bitcoin
Best regards

Comments

• No idea.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

Yes. When the next Bullrun begins, all these coins can grow in price.

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

With the current currency pricing? Don't think so. Your power bill will be much higher. Maybe some altcoins but then you have to pick the right ones... which requires some investigation.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited January 2019

No. Cryptocurrency, specially Altcoins became some sort of Ponzie scheme.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Monero is still profitable

• Yes it is profitable if you have a time machine and can go back to 2009.

Thanked by 2mustafamw3 Janevski
  • Are you running the server from home? or renting one in a DC? If it's in a DC then you'll send up paying more than you actually make. Why not run a small rig? Just make sure you have enough to cover the power bill. 😬

• Sure, just rent 100+ Xeon Gold servers and mine that (*)coin. No probs. /s

No.

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

LTniger said: Sure, just rent 100+ Xeon Gold servers and mine that (*)coin. No probs. /s

>
    I don't need mining if I was rich and had money enough to rent 100 gold xeon servers

• @mustafamw3 said:

LTniger said: Sure, just rent 100+ Xeon Gold servers and mine that (*)coin. No probs. /s

>
    I don't need mining if I was rich and had money enough to rent 100 gold xeon servers

it's not profitable then

Thanked by 1netomx
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@uxtvdl said:
    Monero is still profitable

is it? With what hardware?

• @alilet said:
    Yes it is profitable if you have a time machine and can go back to 2009.

Just run: $ sudo date --set="1 JAN 1970 00:00:01" on your mining server.

Thanked by 3alilet Letzien netomx
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Yes but only on the most expensive servers with old CPU's

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited January 2019

Just run on pi. Make sure to put on a heatsink.

Then forget about it until you retire. That ought to make some nice bonus.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@AnthonySmith said:
    Yes but only on the most expensive servers with old CPU's

Xeon 5160 / 4GB DDR2 / 72GB SATAII / 500GB @ 100 Mpbs -- $250/mo paid quarterly.

MasonR said: Xeon 5160 / 4GB DDR2 / 72GB SATAII / 500GB @ 100 Mpbs -- $250/mo paid quarterly.

You would make around $79.42 p/week on that approximate

• I do all my mining on an S3 Trio (PCI, not VLB, because compatibility).

Thanked by 2eol netomx
  • eoleol Member

• YuraYura Member
    edited January 2019

It's a sad irony how "miner" meant to describe a hard working person ruining his life underground to provide energy resources for the rest of us. Nowadays, "miner" is a useless shitty energy burner doing nothing good for society in sheepish hopes to get something without personal effort.

I will take a walk.

• eoleol Member

Not to mention the useless/insane waste of energy/resources.

• @eol said:

Thanked by 1eol
  • msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited January 2019

@Yura said:
    It's a sad irony how "miner" meant to describe a hard working person ruining his life underground to provide energy resources for the rest of us. Nowadays, "miner" is a useless shitty energy burner doing nothing good for society in sheepish hopes to get something without personal effort.

That's the huge difference between miner and ~miner.

EDIT3:

msg7086 said: That's the huge difference between miner and ~miner.

and a biner, a common phrase in north east England for someone who has smoked cigarettes for so long their mouth is trying to turn inside out :)

• Thanked by 2eol uptime
  • It really depends on the coin. It's usually worth mining coins that are new, considering it's not scam.

• All crypto is a scam basically.
    Also the NSA developed SHA-256.
    Hello backdoor.

• Yes it is
    Let me know when u turn a profit

Thanked by 1eol
  • endofficeendoffice Member
    edited February 2019

If you get very cheap electricity and a space that is well suited, sure why not? Just know unless you put some serious thousands down and some serious time probing every possible thing that could go wrong (short circuits, security, air flow, liability of devaluing tech, etc) you'll be getting pennies by the day and dollars by the year and I don't think anyone can really recommend getting into this market without having some sort of edge like free/ridiculously cheap electricity. It can be tempting to try and scale something like this but really it would be an opportunity cost that you probably wouldn't want to even bother with unless you are curious and just want to do a small rig for doing it's sake. The crypto market is real, there is a real use there, though it is propped up by speculators, as pointed out earlier you could make a buck mining XMR but ask yourself: is there really not anything else you could do with your time (which is most valuable).

• A job, any kind of job really, is more profitable, but that's just my humble opinion.

Thanked by 2Letzien eol