Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What specs would I need for a remote desktop VPS (running Linux Ubuntu/Mint)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What specs would I need for a remote desktop VPS (running Linux Ubuntu/Mint)?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited January 2019 in General

So I am looking to use my Android Tablet (Mi Pad 4) with a wireless keyboard + mouse and connect it via rdp/vnc to a vps running ubuntu/mint for office/browsing tasks. What specs would you reckon that vps needs? Any android app for the rdp/vnc you can recommend that you had a good experience with?

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Your VPS should run just fine with at least 2GB RAM, but I recommend getting VPS that have the lowest ping. For RDP use Microsoft Remote Desktop, it even support touch screen nicely on Windows.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Get something that is not CPU bound, i.e. dedicated cpu time/core(s) and 4GB Ram if you just want a smooth fluid experience without having to worry about potential issues, the amount of processes desktops run can get out of hand and it ony takes a few firefox tabs open to start slamming the CPU.

I have not used it for a while but Freenx/nomachine is AMAZING, andriod client available.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2019

@FAT32 said:
    Your VPS should run just fine with at least 2GB RAM, but I recommend getting VPS that have the lowest ping. For RDP use Microsoft Remote Desktop, it even support touch screen nicely on Windows.

Thanks mate :)

@AnthonySmith said:
    Get something that is not CPU bound, i.e. dedicated cpu time/core(s) and 4GB Ram if you just want a smooth fluid experience without having to worry about potential issues, the amount of processes desktops run can get out of hand and it ony takes a few firefox tabs open to start slamming the CPU.

I have not used it for a while but Freenx/nomachine is AMAZING, andriod client available.

Fair enough. Thanks for pointing that out. Because honestly I wasn't sure how much resources I'd need accessing a rdp vps from outside. My Pi 3B+ at home can rdp easily (xrdp) but that's home LAN so I wasn't sure how it would be when using a vps. Now ofc a pi doesn't have 4gb ram or any decent cpu but I think when it comes to a vps specs need to be different?

• eoleol Member

@FAT32 said:
    ... but I recommend getting VPS that have the lowest ping.

This.

Thanked by 2Ympker FAT32
  • sgheghelesgheghele Member
    edited January 2019

If you happen to live close to Germany, the KTS24 one with 4 dedicore for 16/month would be great for this. You can even go lover [EDIT: I am keeping this typo] with 10EUR/month if they are still offering this.

• @sgheghele said:
    If you happen to live close to Germany, the KTS24 one with 4 dedicore for 16/month would be great for this. You can even go lover [EDIT: I am keeping this typo] with 10EUR/month if they are still offering this.

I am living in Germany.

Thanked by 1eol
  • eoleol Member

@Ympker said:
    I am living in Germany.

Grüezi.

Thanked by 1sgheghele
  • muffinmuffin Member
    edited January 2019

@Ympker said:
    I am living in Germany.

Do you know Hetzner? Really good host. They need more attention here.

• sgheghelesgheghele Member
    edited January 2019

@muffin said:

@Ympker said:
    I am living in Germany.

Never eold of them.

• @muffin said:

@Ympker said:
    I am living in Germany.

Living in Germany and being involved with hosting it is pretty hard not to know about Hetzner ;)

Thanked by 3eol uxtvdl Hetzner_OL
  • eoleol Member

Hetzner?
    What's that?

EDIT2:
    Sounds like a disease...

Thanked by 1muffin
  • I would give X2Go a try, I've found it to be super fast even when latency is high (The last time I tried it was with around 150ms and it was butter smooth).

Thanked by 2Ympker Creativity

Ympker said: Fair enough. Thanks for pointing that out. Because honestly I wasn't sure how much resources I'd need accessing a rdp vps from outside. My Pi 3B+ at home can rdp easily (xrdp) but that's home LAN so I wasn't sure how it would be when using a vps. Now ofc a pi doesn't have 4gb ram or any decent cpu but I think when it comes to a vps specs need to be different?

Yeah but things are optimized for pI's :) I only say 4GB so you just don't need to worry about it.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Just the usual specs of a laptop that you would use, I suppose. 4GB RAM, decent CPU, SSD,..

• get a vps from @VPSSLIM their offer is really good enough to run rdp but I guess they don't have Windows OS template so you install your own and use the Microsoft remote app from your Android tablet

Thanked by 1VPSSLIM
  • VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

@uxtvdl said:
    get a vps from @VPSSLIM their offer is really good enough to run rdp but I guess they don't have Windows OS template so you install your own and use the Microsoft remote app from your Android tablet

Thank you very much for the recommendation :smile:

Thanked by 1uxtvdl

@Ympker if you want to test a few different configs let me know, I will sort something out for you.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    @Ympker if you want to test a few different configs let me know, I will sort something out for you.

Thanks mate :) I just thought I'd use my remaining vultr credit to test some few setups monitor resource usage and then look for a vps fulfilling these criteria.

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited January 2019

I recommend Deploying Linux to your Mi Pad instead of remote desktop. If you want to remote desktop, go with windows instead, because some apps just refuse to run without more tinkering when running from remote desktop.

I have mipad 4, and installing Ubuntu on top of Android. I can run vscode, Gimp, Inkscape, libre office, chrome just fine. The only thing I miss is Windows App such as Microsoft Office, because for some reason, after years only Microsoft Office that support xmlrpc protocol.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @yokowasis said:
    I recommend Deploying Linux to your Mi Pad instead of remote desktop. If you want to remote desktop, go with windows instead, because some apps just refuse to run without more tinkering when running from remote desktop.

I have mipad 4, and installing Ubuntu on top of Android. I can run vscode, Gimp, Inkscape, libre office, chrome just fine. The only thing I miss is Windows App such as Microsoft Office, because for some reason, after years only Microsoft Office that support xmlrpc protocol.

Have a guide for installing ubuntu on top? :)

Never did that before with a tablet.

• eoleol Member

Good luck with hardware support.

• @Ympker said:

@yokowasis said:

Here is my mipad. Works great with Ubuntu.

I am using Linux deploy, and Ubuntu bionic beaver with Mate. You need a root to use it. Ubuntu running in chroot mode.

Thanked by 2eol Ympker
  • @yokowasis said:

@Ympker said:

@yokowasis said:

Here is my mipad. Works great with Ubuntu.

I am using Linux deploy, and Ubuntu bionic beaver with Mate. You need a root to use it. Ubuntu running in chroot mode.

That's just awesome :)

• Just for browsing & Office 512MB RAM can be enough. Years ago I did that on a 128MB RAM VPS with a lightweight desktop and Firefox v4 (with 2 tabs opened. Any more and it crashed haha ). I used X2go for connection.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • eoleol Member

@farsighter said:
    Just for browsing & Office 512MB RAM can be enough. Years ago I did that on a 128MB RAM VPS with a lightweight desktop and Firefox v4 (with 2 tabs opened. Any more and it crashed haha ). I used X2go for connection.

I would've expected more RAM from a "farsighter".

• @eol said:

@FAT32 said:

This.

is your CPU too busy? why wasn't that the first comment?

• eoleol Member

@mee2 said:

@eol said:

@FAT32 said:

This.

Patience is a virtue.

• @eol said:

@mee2 said:

@eol said:

@FAT32 said:

This.

Patience is a virtue.

Under 1 min. Good to see not busy now.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

eol said: Hetzner?

What's that?

EDIT2:
    Sounds like a disease...

I used to teach intro German, and when one of my students at UGA heard the word "Schmetterling" for the first time, shedidn't want to believe that it meant "butterfly". She insisted on trying to use it as an insult in conversations for the rest of the course. --Katie

Thanked by 3eol uptime Unixfy
  • eoleol Member

@Hetzner_OL said:

eol said: Hetzner?

What's that?

EDIT2:
    Sounds like a disease...

I used to teach intro German, and when one of my students at UGA heard the word "Schmetterling" for the first time, shedidn't want to believe that it meant "butterfly". She insisted on trying to use it as an insult in conversations for the rest of the course. --Katie

LOL.
    Nice.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL