Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does privacy by jurisdiction exist in 2019?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does privacy by jurisdiction exist in 2019?

subjugatingsubjugating Banned, Member

Some Internet services proudly flaunt being hosted in DE/CH/NO/IS stating that they are in one of the best jurisdiction as far as privacy is concerned.

Is there any truth whatsoever in privacy by jurisdiction?

Renting a VPS in Iceland, Switzerland, Norway, Germany or elsewhere makes a service and our data more private by default?

Is it just a myth?

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

There is no privacy.

• eoleol Member

@Clouvider said:
    There is no privacy.

This.

• subjugatingsubjugating Banned, Member
    edited January 2019

:disappointed:

So everything is a big lie?

• eoleol Member

@cipher said:
    :disappointed:

So everything is a big lie?

Sure.
    All this "privacy" crap like TOR, VPN, etc. are just honeypots.
    Only there to make you more suspicious.

The more you try to hide your identity, the more suspicious it becomes, the more of a target it makes you.

Thanked by 1eol
  • cipher said: Is there any truth whatsoever in privacy by jurisdiction?

No. Everybody can be bribed so there is no real 'privacy' where is big money involved. You host your private data in Swiss -> I come and bribe the shit out of data center manager -> silently dump your data.

Remmember: if you do not commit any crime - you are safe almost in any jurisdiction. And if you do commit some illegal stuff - do not expose it online, ever.

• NO it does not, not even your own home anymore. Not with freakin drones flying every where with cameras and shit.

My sis lived in Florida in the U.S. Her neighbor purchased a drone and flew into her yard. She called the cops and said there was no law against it and if she shot it down they could prosecute her.

Her other neighbor had a camera on the house that pointed into her back yard. She asked them to move it to point at their property, they would not do it. She called a lawyer and he said it was perfectly legal as a measure to protect their dwelling.

Privacy is a joke unless you move some place that no one else lives, and never go online. All the "hype" over we protect your privacy is just that "hype". Do not believe it or fall for it for one second.

For once I tend to agree with @LTniger, don't do bad things and bad things probably will not happen. Especially online.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2019

Switzerland has indeed some privacy friendly laws about how customer data is to be handled etc but there is no such thing as "privacy" anymore I believe. You can only get ever so close to it and that's probably gonna be Switzerland at this point. Don't mistake strong privacy laws with being anonymous or anything though. What I do know however is that a VPN in Switzerland is more privacy friendly to the extent that they won't just hand over your personal data etc for the likes of e.g. "streaming" or "dl of movies". There are strict laws in Switzerland what is considered personal information which includes your IP-adress. Personal information is only to be handed over when it comes to very serious crimes (think murder etc). Atleast when I last checked. On top of that streaming and dl of media is perfectly legal in Switzerland for private use. So there's that.

AuroraZ said: For once I tend to agree with @LTniger, don't do bad things and bad things probably will not happen. Especially online.

Not totally true. Someone the good innocent people get trapped or caught as they are beautifully framed by clever ones or bad boys.

AuroraZ said: My sis lived in Florida in the U.S. Her neighbor purchased a drone and flew into her yard. She called the cops and said there was no law against it and if she shot it down they could prosecute her.

Her other neighbor had a camera on the house that pointed into her back yard.

Call EFF or ACLU and they would help her.

@Ympker I tend to check key disclosure law. Some countries including CZ/PL/CH/IS/SE and also US do not have mandatory key disclosure law. But NSL and similar things exist everywhere in the world.

So, I like the way you think and thanks for sharing things.

What about self-hosting? Would self-hosting help?

But for example in India we have clear law to give encryption keys to law enforcement even if we host at home and encrypt it totally. So won't it be best for a person in India to host things in CZ/PL/CH/SE or Iceland?

• @cipher said:

AuroraZ said: For once I tend to agree with @LTniger, don't do bad things and bad things probably will not happen. Especially online.

Not totally true. Someone the good innocent people get trapped or caught as they are beautifully framed by clever ones or bad boys.

Did you read the word PROBABLY in there? I did not say it was a god given guarantee because it is not.

probably adverb
    prob·​a·​bly | \ ˈprä-bə-blē,
    ˈprä(b)-blē\
    Definition of probably

insofar as seems reasonably true, factual, or to be expected : without much doubt

source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/probably?src=search-dict-hed

• @Clouvider said:
    The more you try to hide your identity, the more suspicious it becomes, the more of a target it makes you.

Isn't it a slippery slope?

EOF. Privacy is a thing of past.

Thanked by 1eol
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Privacy is relative like Time.
    There is still privacy if you did not bought all the millennial crap and put it into your home.

• Alexa and Google Home, or what ever it is, are the devil's invention. Lazy shitbags anyways, get up off your ass and turn your oven on FFS.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2019

@AuroraZ said:
    Alexa and Google Home, or what ever it is, are the devil's invention. Lazy shitbags anyways, get up off your ass and turn your oven on FFS.

Wifi toilet, it does listen to your farts and makes a musical out of it.

Thanked by 1eol

Ok, I don't use such products and it is scary to listen or even think about it.

• drivexdrivex Member
    edited January 2019

@Clouvider said:

So are you pro-privacy or against privacy on the internet or real life? I assume regarding your posts in the history, you are privacy-unfriendly. Whenever someone is asking for offers to setup up a "private" anonymous vpn or similar theres at least one post from you assuming it's a bad idea/privacy dont exist / customer is a hacker/badperson/whatever.

Sure, privacy isn't JUST about hiding your ip address. You have way more to do like: Don't use Google, don't use other services, deactivate adtrackers, try to avoid browser-fingerprinting etc. And Tor isn't anonymous? Best joke of the day. TOR NEVER was cracked, it was always users fault/behaviour.

edited January 2019

@drivex said:

@Clouvider said:

So are you pro-privacy or against privacy on the internet or real life? I assume regarding your posts in the history, you are privacy-unfriendly. Whenever someone is asking for offers to setup up a "private" anonymous vpn or similar theres at least one post from you assuming it's a bad idea/privacy dont exist / customer is a hacker/badperson/whatever.

Sure, privacy isn't JUST about hiding your ip address. You have way more to do like: Don't use Google, don't use other services, deactivate adtrackers, try to avoid browser-fingerprinting etc. And Tor isn't anonymous? Best joke of the day. TOR NEVER was cracked, it was always users fault/behaviour.

My post has nothing to do whether we, as a business, are pro or against privacy, in whatever sense or definition you think of it. I’m certainly not going to discuss it here and now.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

AuroraZ said: AuroraZ

are they stalking her or something ?

@LowEndAdmin Close this thread w.e.f.

• @Clouvider said:

@drivex said:

@Clouvider said:

My post has nothing to do whether we, as a business, are pro or against privacy, in whatever sense or definition you think of it. I’m certainly not going to discuss it here and now.

Doesn‘t surprise me. :)

• 🤣 privacy on internet 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Thanked by 2Clouvider eol

@Deepak_leb said:
    🤣 privacy on internet 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

One can still be anonymous and you won't even know.

• eoleol Member

@cipher said:

@Deepak_leb said:

Nope.

edited January 2019

@eol said:

@cipher said:

@Deepak_leb said:

Nope.

Nope back! :wink:

@cipher said:

@Deepak_leb said:

You're watching too many movies I guess.

Thanked by 2eol Deepak_leb
    edited January 2019

@Clouvider said:

@cipher said:

@Deepak_leb said:

You're watching too many movies I guess.

Just because I use your VPS for BBC doesn't mean I watch too many movies and even if I do, how do you know? You spying on me?