Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TV catch-up using VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

TV catch-up using VPS?

farsighterfarsighter Member
edited January 2019 in General

In my country main TV channels are freely available as IP streams.

I'd like to be able to record some programs from those channels and save as video files on a Linux VPS (then I can stream them to smart TV) .

What's the best approach to do that? Any software?

Can this be done on a headless server? If necessary I can install a desktop and launch a recording program using time-based scripts (or keep a program open all time and use EPG based recording).

So far I've installed Kodi, I can watch those channels but apparently there is no built in option for such PVR solution.

I want to do this in order to cut my cable TV costs.

Comments

• eoleol Member

Why not cancel tv altogether?

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • eoleol Member

I asked you a question.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • ffmpeg, that's all I'll say to help you get started. As IP streams might be freely available, it doesn't mean you're allowed to record them. Therefore, ffmpeg is probably all you need to know to achieve your goal.

Thanked by 2farsighter netomx
  • @eol said:
    I asked you a question.

@farsighter He asked you a question.

Thanked by 1eol
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited January 2019

OK I managed to solve this yesterday night.
    Things will works nicely using any of these programs: VLC, streamlink or ffmpeg. They can all output m3u8 (and other) streams to a file from terminal even in headless mode. All TV station are working for me except one which requires a cookie, will have to open a PC and sniff the connection for that one.

True @Akito ffmpeg might be best for that as it seems to supports headers + cookies better than others.

Was easier than I thought. Even scripts aren't necessary. Can be done in one line and timing can be controlled using 'at' and 'timeout' commands.

Thanks for your replies/bumping/trolling lol
    @eol what would we do without you... you can cut your TV I'll just cut cable subscription I guess :)

• eoleol Member

@farsighter said:
    @eol what would we do without you... you can cut your TV I'll just cut cable subscription I guess :)

I gave away my high end tv the week after 911.
    One of the best decisions I ever made.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @eol said:

@farsighter said:

You let the terrorists win. SMH

• eoleol Member

@TimboJones said:

@eol said:

@farsighter said:

Well, the us government is the real terrorist.

• Or, maybe look at sonarr with jackett. Works absolutely beautiful for me.

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • @dahartigan said:
    Or, maybe look at sonarr with jackett. Works absolutely beautiful for me.

Can you get me copies of All Aussie Adventures, The Late Show, and The Hollowmen? I only saw the first season of each.

• @Letzien said:

@dahartigan said:
    Or, maybe look at sonarr with jackett. Works absolutely beautiful for me.

Can you get me copies of All Aussie Adventures, The Late Show, and The Hollowmen? I only saw the first season of each.

I don't know if trolling but I do actually have all of the all Aussie adventures.. pm me?

• @dahartigan said:
    I don't know if trolling but I do actually have all of the all Aussie adventures.. pm me?

Not trolling, but I will trade noodz. Cheers!

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • But then your vps provider will spy on your video files. I suggest just keep watching TV and make sure wifi isn’t connected on your smart tv so your privacy is well respected.

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited January 2019

@sudoranger said:
    But then your vps provider will spy on your video files. I suggest just keep watching TV and make sure wifi isn’t connected on your smart tv so your privacy is well respected.

Providers don't care as long as no complaint arriving or resources aren't abused (endless parallel video transcodings etc).

I know that for example Kodi users are advised to use VPN as a best practice but my case doesn't even require VPN since those streams are freely offered here (channels make money from ads) and in fact all cable providers advertise tools and are happily inviting people to record them.

Not going to record everything anyway. Just selected programs I find interest in. Probable few hours per day, without video reencoding.

• It was a poorly written sarcasm btw

• I wouldn't > @eol said:

@TimboJones said:

@eol said:

@farsighter said:

more of like ISIS - [International statratgic inspiritonal stupids] who are going to be ripxed of earth pretty soon

• eoleol Member

@uxtvdl said:
    I wouldn't > @eol said:

@TimboJones said:

@eol said:

@farsighter said:

more of like ISIS - [International statratgic inspiritonal stupids] who are going to be ripxed of earth pretty soon

Lern to spel.