Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH has very bad anti fraud policy.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH has very bad anti fraud policy.

So I know why companies have anti fraud measures but going too far is bad.
When I signed up for Hetzner, they asked me for documents of company incorporation, I sent them and they approved it.
So recently I wanted a .ovh domain for a url shortener.
I paid them the amount, it was 2 days that they didn’t send a mail so I went ahead and raised a ticket.
So they asked me for documents, which I thought is fine, but they wanted me to give them bank statement, which I don’t know why they want.
I sent them my
AADHAR CARD (a kind of citizenship card)
Pan card - Used for income tax purpose
Aadhar card with order number written over a paper captured on a photo to prove its mine
Even the credit card photo from which I paid.
I said, I don’t feel like I have to disclose my bank statements to someone.

But now they want all documents photo taken live with order number written over a paper sheet.

It was a 2$ domain and they want so much things.

Don’t know but won’t use OVH for sure again. Will never recommend also them.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Sounds like you are living in a high risk country.
    The holding a paper up with your username/order number with your card is common in some places.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Here is the thing. It's not the amount. It's the "approved" account status.

Some sell approved OVH accounts.

• @Neoon said:
    Sounds like you are living in a high risk country.
    The holding a paper up with your username/order number with your card is common in some places.

Is India a high risk country now?

Has always been along with China and Russia.

• @deank said:
    Here is the thing. It's not the amount. It's the "approved" account status.

Some sell approved OVH accounts.

having anti fraud measures is fine. But when a person tries to obey it and the company demands for more and more things just to waste one persons time. Then it’s an abuse.

• subjugatingsubjugating Banned, Member

@bharatwaj said:
    When I signed up for Hetzner, they asked me for documents of company incorporation, I sent them and they approved it.
    I paid them the amount, it was 2 days that they didn’t send a mail so I went ahead and raised a ticket.
    So they asked me for documents, which I thought is fine, but they wanted me to give them bank statement, which I don’t know why they want.
    I sent them my
    Aadhar card with order number written over a paper captured on a photo to prove its mine

But now they want all documents photo taken live with order number written over a paper sheet.

:neutral: Get a domain name from Gandi or Internetbs.net or flokinet.is or 1984hosting.com or PM me for more easy options. Do not give up your details to EU companies like this. Aadhaar should not be shared with private companies as per a recent SC order.

Why would you pick such a service for domain name registration?

If they treat you like terrorist or CP lover. Just desert them and one day they will learn to respect you back.

edited January 2019

@bharatwaj said:
    having anti fraud measures is fine. But when a person tries to obey it and the company demands for more and more things just to waste one persons time. Then it’s an abuse.

What abuse?

A business can certainly deny service to people. It's their choice and right.

Thanked by 3FHR maverickp sin
  • @cipher said:

@bharatwaj said:
    I sent them my

:neutral: Get a domain name from Gandi or Internetbs.net or flokinet.is or 1984hosting.com or PM me for more easy options. Do not give up your details to EU companies like this. Aadhaar should not be shared with private companies as per a recent SC order.

Why would you pick such a service for domain name registration?

If they treat you like terrorist or CP lover. Just desert them and one day they will learn to respect you back.

I heard fairly good about them here, and they have a (dot)ovh extension which has still good brandable names unregistered and they are only providing it as it’s their tld.
    So now for sure, won’t even think about it.

You cannot really compare the measurements to your 2$ order.
    It does not matter how much you pay, you want to open a new account.

Also, OVH wants to validate that the credit card you are using belongs to you.
    The way you show the actual credit card on a photo with your order number.
    Otherwise they may think it could be stolen.

edited January 2019

@deank said:

@bharatwaj said:

What abuse?

A business can certainly deny service to people. It's their choice.

It amounts to harassment owing to unnecessary delay and illegal demands / extortion. People told me in a discussion about email hosting for custom domain thread that spammers register domains easily and this genuine guy is being harassed because he choose to register a domain name from a proper registrar that already took full name, address, phone number and what not.

@jar See Sir, how genuine people are harassed by stupid policies. The spammer will always get his way.

Thanked by 1bharatwaj
    edited January 2019

OVH won't care even if they lose you. They've got hundreds of thousands of customers apparently.

@cipher said:
    It amounts to harassment owing to unnecessary delay and illegal demands / extortion. People told me in a discussion about email hosting for custom domain thread that spammers register domains easily and this genuine guy is being harassed because of proper registration of domain name from a registration who took full address, phone number and what not.

Ever been to an arranged marriage meeting? Now, that is abuse. This is not. Don't even compare.

• @deank said:

@bharatwaj said:

What abuse?

A business can certainly deny service to people. It's their choice and right.

I agree with your point, if they wanted to deny my order, then they could have directly written on the website about not accepting Indians as client or could have straight up said my in the first mail that it’s not possible to give domain. I would have said yes to that.
    I wouldn’t have spent time to take photos and sending them. In their first mail, they asked me all the documents and just one photo with order number written.
    Now they want all the documents with order number written.
    Why to wait till I send one set of mail and then ask again which they know anyone will get pissed off.

Thanked by 1anjard

@deank said:
    OVH won't care even if they lose you. They've got hundreds of thousands of customers apparently.

They will if India unite against them.

Like what happened with Mastercard, lol. They cried and officially complained about Rupay cards to US government and lost a lot of Indian users.

@OVH_UK @OVH_APAC good job, harassing a client. Keep it up! Trust us badly. Because we Indians are bad, right?

Those two users you tagged, they are not sales. They are just bots to post offers.

Go to war then. Rage all you want.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@cipher said:

@deank said:

It amounts to harassment owing to unnecessary delay and illegal demands / extortion.

Are you real Indian? I have many clients from India and they never complain like this and blame a company for "extorting" and "harassing" because they require payment verification.

@MikeA said:

@cipher said:

@deank said:

It amounts to harassment owing to unnecessary delay and illegal demands / extortion.

Are you real Indian? I have many clients from India and they never complain like this and blame a company for "extorting" and "harassing" because they require payment verification.

I am tired of high/low/medium risk stuff. I hate companies that ask too much data while sign up and then harass people.

edited January 2019

Well, duh, it was your choice to send docs. Nobody put a gun on your head to enforce it.

If you don't like the additional checkups, stick to services in your nation.

Well, OVH is in Canada partially and I am also a Canadian. When I set up electricity for the first time on a new address, I have to provide my ID, social insurance #, and driver's license so that they can check my credit score. If it's too low, they deny the service.

It happens all the time. Get over it.

• eoleol Member

Why would you pick .ovh?
    At least let them pay for advertisement.

Thanked by 3MikeA Letzien Janevski
  • @eol said:
    Why would you pick .ovh?

Well I had my company name available in 3 letters which I always wanted for url Shortener 😅

Thanked by 1eol

@cipher said:
    I am tired of high/low/medium risk stuff. I hate companies that ask too much data while sign up and then harass people.

Well, everyone does that.
    Your credit rating depends in which country you are living, which city, which district.
    The insurance costs more if you live in dangerous areas......

China takes it to the extreme, thats nothing comparing what OVH did.
    It has noting to do with harassment, OVH is a company, they want to make profit, not loosing money.

So they go and validate that he is using a valid cc that belongs to him, before they loose way more money.

• @eol said:
    Why would you pick .ovh?

Thanked by 2bharatwaj eol

Spam is nigh.

Thanked by 1eol

@Neoon said:

@cipher said:

Well, everyone does that.
    Your credit rating depends in which country you are living, which city, which district.
    The insurance costs more if you live in dangerous areas......

China takes it to the extreme, thats nothing comparing what OVH did.
    It has noting to do with harassment, OVH is a company, they want to make profit, not loosing money.

So they go and validate that he is using a valid cc that belongs to him, before they loose way more money.

But @bharatwaj already gave up an ID (which any private company isn't authorized to collect at least in India) and details of card too.

Why such unnecessary delay then?

@eol said:
    Why would you pick .ovh?

Haha.

Thanked by 1eol

@cipher said:
    But @bharatwaj already gave up an ID (which any private company isn't authorized to collect at least in India) and details of card too.

Simple.

For an example,
    just because you gave a girl your phone number, it doesn't mean she will call you.

• @deank said:

@cipher said:

Simple.

For an example,
    just because you gave a girl your phone number, it doesn't mean she will call you.

She could have said at the first place, she won’t take numbers from random strangers. Why to take then in the first place 🧐

Life is a collection of choices, mortal.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@bharatwaj said:

She could have said at the first place, she won’t take numbers from random strangers. Why to take then in the first place 🧐

And that my friend is where the real extortion begins.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@cipher said:

@deank said:

@bharatwaj said:

What abuse?

It amounts to harassment owing to unnecessary delay and illegal demands / extortion. People told me in a discussion about email hosting for custom domain thread that spammers register domains easily and this genuine guy is being harassed because he choose to register a domain name from a proper registrar that already took full name, address, phone number and what not.

@jar See Sir, how genuine people are harassed by stupid policies. The spammer will always get his way.

Got nothing to do with me. I ditched them permanently when they asked me to use the API to cancel a server after spending weeks declining to address the issue of their portal refusing to perform the function.

• Don't blame the company, blame the millions of fellow citizens in your country that ruined it for you.

Thanked by 1jetchirag