Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minecraft - Dedicated Server or Colocation - UK?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Minecraft - Dedicated Server or Colocation - UK?

Hi all,

After using Minecraft hosting companies in the past for servers, I recently (past week) starting teaching myself how to set them up on a VPS. Now i have a couple of servers up and running.

After this i started looking at dedicated servers instead, there are some cheap ones around. Although they are old hardware they are quite capable of running a few Minecraft servers. The cost of some of these dedicated are like £30 (ish) a month like on the Hetzner auction and SoYouStart.

However, that got me thinking. If I bought an old server from ebay or something.... would colocation IN THE UK be cheaper?? I tried google to find data centres in the UK. But the ones i have seen are either expensive or I am required to contact them for a quote.

I thought I would see if anyone here could point me in the right direction rather than me contacting lots and lots of data centres to see if its worth it.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2019

I would guess for a 1U you're going to end up paying more in most places compared to a cheap SoYouStart or Hetzner server.. they are cheap. And is it really worth it for Minecraft? Unless you have a big community. Keep in mind the things like DDoS protection, bandwidth, term contacts, hardware replacements inconvenience, etc.

• Thank you both for your replies, I guess that throws that idea out of the window haha.

But I would rather find out from the people with the knowledge than spending hours learning/doing research just to find out what you guys told me within 20 minutes.

Suppose i will do another post on VPS and Dedicated servers then :)

Thanks again to you both