Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why may be gmail blocking my email mid conversation ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why may be gmail blocking my email mid conversation ?

adamzadamz Member
edited January 2019 in General

I have been emailing back and forth with the teacher at my daughter's school and she requested some information about week ago, I went to send it tonight and Gmail has bounced my response with Our system has detected that this message is 550-5.7.1 likely unsolicited mail.

Its the same email address I have been using, the IP of smtp relay (my work's server) is in my personal domain's SPF and I did not do any changes in the last 12 months or more. Checked my work's server IP on MX toolbox BL check and its all green. I have had that work server's IP (LunaNode) for at least last 3 years and both domains - work and personal - for 10+ years and I never sent any bulk emails.

Comments

• adamzadamz Member
    edited January 2019

UPDATE: so I did couple more tests: http://mail-blacklist-checker.online-domain-tools.com/, https://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check and its all coming green except rbl.rbldns.ru which says its listed (???)

Sent that email from my work email, which is hosted on exact same server and it seems to get through, nothing came back. Btw. there may be spam with spoofing outgoing address using my personal and work emails, but SPF test should take care of that and afaik my server has not been breached.

Also have Gmail address, so I tried to send test email to my own Gmail address from the "bad" personal address and it went through. Mystery

• In my experience, email providers randomly block IPs and the procedure to become a "good" sender varies greatly. Each provider has their own blacklist, so there is little point in trying to please them all. All large providers are on a blacklist somewhere, because unknowing admins confuse "a lot of spam from a network with lots of servers" with "a high rate of spam".

I resorted to adding a relay for recipient domains that block my email for whatever reason. It takes 1 click and costs neither time, nor money (e.g. mailjet free account).

Thanked by 1adamz
  • @adamz said:
    I have been emailing back and forth with the teacher at my daughter's school and she requested some information about week ago, I went to send it tonight and Gmail has bounced my response with Our system has detected that this message is 550-5.7.1 likely unsolicited mail.

Its the same email address I have been using, the IP of smtp relay (my work's server) is in my personal domain's SPF and I did not do any changes in the last 12 months or more. Checked my work's server IP on MX toolbox BL check and its all green. I have had that work server's IP (LunaNode) for at least last 3 years and both domains - work and personal - for 10+ years and I never sent any bulk emails.

Can you post the original header from the bounce email?

Thanked by 1adamz
  • MrHMrH Member

@gol3m said:
    In my experience, email providers randomly block IPs and the procedure to become a "good" sender varies greatly. Each provider has their own blacklist, so there is little point in trying to please them all. All large providers are on a blacklist somewhere, because unknowing admins confuse "a lot of spam from a network with lots of servers" with "a high rate of spam".

I resorted to adding a relay for recipient domains that block my email for whatever reason. It takes 1 click and costs neither time, nor money (e.g. mailjet free account).

Sys Oompa Loompa

Thanked by 1gol3m
  • adamzadamz Member
    edited January 2019

@TimboJones said:

Can you post the original header from the bounce email?

I can post it with some modifications. Thanks for any insights, Google has not been very helpful so far.

Reporting-MTA: dns; ~workdomain~.com
    X-Postfix-Queue-ID: D81C93BD17
    X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; ~myemail~@~personaldomain~.com
    Arrival-Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 23:15:00 -0500 (EST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
    Original-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
    Action: failed
    Remote-MTA: dns; gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-5.7.1 [172.81.~c~.~d~      12] Our system has
        detected that this message is 550-5.7.1 likely unsolicited mail. To reduce
        the amount of spam sent to Gmail, 550-5.7.1 this message has been blocked.
        Please visit 550-5.7.1
        https://support.google.com/mail/?p=UnsolicitedMessageError 550 5.7.1  for
        more information. m36si6098375iti.69 - gsmtp

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2019

That's a content filter. They have another message for "we're tired of your IP right now, try again later." Content triggering it could be anything. They won't tell you what it is. Could be a header. Could be that they don't like your domain name. Could be an HTML signature. Could even be a domain or IP that you're mentioning somewhere in the email.

Thanked by 1adamz
  • I encountered it before due to misconfiguration. Check:

1. if the reverse dns matches the hostname set in postfix, see the header of your recently sent mail might help
    2. noanonymous is enabled in smtpd_sasl_security_options in /etc/postfix/main.cf
    3. correct certificate set for the domain in /etc/postfix/main.cf
    4. smtpd_tls = yes in /etc/postfix/main.cf
    5. send a test mail to [email protected] to see the result of spf, dkim etc
    6. After fixing the errors, check https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx to see if you are on any of the blacklists. If you do, visit the blocker's site and make them remove you.
    Thanked by 2TimboJones adamz
  • Sure, if NSA finds your conversation not according to their standards google will block it. And yes, your are interesting to NSA ;)

• @LTniger said:
    Sure, if NSA finds your conversation not according to their standards google will block it. And yes, your are interesting to NSA ;)

I don't think you understand how Intelligence gathering works. Or censorship.

• @TimboJones said:

@LTniger said:
    Sure, if NSA finds your conversation not according to their standards google will block it. And yes, your are interesting to NSA ;)

I don't think you understand how Intelligence gathering works. Or censorship.

He doesn't, he may still working off theory that people listen to convos on the phone, or look at your emails. Hate to burst his bubble they don't.