Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good managed email hosting for own domain name? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any good managed email hosting for own domain name?

Comments

• subjugatingsubjugating Banned, Member

jar said: I’ve made over $800 in sales since this thread opened, from people happy to give me an alternate email and phone number. I’ve also halted a known spammer 4+ times at the signup form since it opened. Thank you so much friends, January is usually a month that struggles to pay the bills. I truly do adore you all <3

Making another round through referral payouts tonight or tomorrow night, working the list down.

Where is my commission? Sooo... You didn't tell me, how would a fake cockmail account and a phone number help you when things go south?

I am a genuine person, I host a lot of things for community for gratis and I also get donations for the same. Anyways. I love your service and concept, maybe in near future I would seek your counsel when I have a privacy oriented mail hosting service.

Thanks! Your presence is much appreciated. You rock! I do love Mxroute.com and what you doing.

• @Letzien said:

@TimboJones said:
    1. Make up some story about how you're a journalist in dictator country and need hardcore paranoid Snowden level privacy.

Whatever happened to that guy?

He got shot in the face, and not by a penis.

• try migadu.com

@jpeng said:
    try migadu.com

Beautiful. Thanks!

• @cipher said:

@jpeng said:
    try migadu.com

Beautiful. Thanks!

So, you're actually looking for unlimited here and there but 100 outgoing emails per hour? Is that it?

• @sudoranger said:

@cipher said:

@jpeng said:
    try migadu.com

Beautiful. Thanks!

So, you're actually looking for unlimited here and there but 100 outgoing emails per hour? Is that it?

he can pay for that for increasing limit.

@sudoranger said:

@cipher said:

@jpeng said:
    try migadu.com

Beautiful. Thanks!

Unlimited? Everything is unlimited only. And that limit of 100/emails/hour is too much. Casual user barely writes email, one uses it for receiving emails only! And one can always upgrade.

@jar must develop a sign up like this service only.

• sudorangersudoranger Member
    edited January 2019

@cipher said:
    And one can always upgrade.

If you write casually just get a gmail or use the free protonmail if privacy is your concern since it’s semi open source.

So, a $15/month bump is ok with you but complained about $9/year domain like seriously what’s your point?

• @jpeng said:

So, what’s the difference paying for increasing outgoing limit vs increase mailbox size. That sir is just a marketing gimmick. Don’t get fooled easily. Might as well use the free GMX.

• @sudoranger stop wasting your time, op already make decision before this thread start.

@sudoranger said:

@cipher said:
    And one can always upgrade.

If you write casually just get a gmail or use the free protonmail if privacy is your concern since it’s semi open source.

So, a $15/month bump is ok with you but complained about $9/year domain like seriously what’s your point?

Complained about domain? Where?

Also, 17 USD / month isn't a hefty amount, we can also go with Tutanota.com / Protonmail / Mailbox etc.

@sudoranger said:

@jpeng said:

So, what’s the difference paying for increasing outgoing limit vs increase mailbox size. That sir is just a marketing gimmick. Don’t get fooled easily. Might as well use the free GMX.

GMX is good? I didn't know. Does it allow custom domain? Is it privacy oriented?

• @cipher said:
    GMX is good? I didn't know.

Good for this:

@cipher said:
    Casual user barely writes email, one uses it for receiving emails only!

@sudoranger said:

@cipher said:
    GMX is good? I didn't know.

Good for this:

@cipher said:
    Casual user barely writes email, one uses it for receiving emails only!

Does it allow custom domain?

• be careful. mailb0x . org is a provider who is deeply involved in the radical left wing scene.

@hyperblast said:
    be careful. mailb0x . org is a provider who is deeply involved in the radical left wing scene.

What do you mean? Should not go with them?

• @cipher: I find the following a useful comparison: https://restoreprivacy.com/secure-email/

@hyperblast: Just because mailbox.org believe in privacy and green energy doesn't make them part of the radical left-wing scene.

@angstrom who would you pick? Germans or Swiss or Americans?

• @cipher said:

Are there any Americans in this category? :smiley:

Germans who take privacy seriously are as serious as the Swiss, so I would be fine with the Germans as well as the Swiss. :smile:

@angstrom said:

@cipher said:

Germans who take privacy seriously are as serious as the Swiss, so I would be fine with the Germans as well as the Swiss. :smile:

No, but there exist Lavabit.com too. Also, I believe Americans are more serious about privacy and software freedom.

I am offered mail hosting for owing to my work / love /dedication for software freedom by some libre software enthusiasts, self-hosted by people in their home office.

See, Signal, FSF, etc.

• @cipher said:

@hyperblast said:
    be careful. mailb0x . org is a provider who is deeply involved in the radical left wing scene.

i would never ever go with them. its not about that they are just into privacy and green energy, they do also hosting and give radical left wing german organisations a haven. moreover the company behind call themselves as a political provider. in my point of view they are not unbiased.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited January 2019

@cipher said:

@angstrom said:

@cipher said:

No, but there exist Lavabit.com too. Also, I believe Americans are more serious about privacy and software freedom.

I am offered mail hosting for owing to my work / love /dedication for software freedom by some libre software enthusiasts, self-hosted by people in their home office.

See, Signal, FSF, etc.

My question about the Americans was rhetorical and not serious. :smile:

My sense is that the Americans, Germans, and Swiss who believe in privacy and software freedom are more alike than they are different.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Hard to believe we let our car plate exposed. Do you know how much info you can dig out from a simple car plate number?

Thanked by 2sudoranger kkrajk
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@cipher said:

@angstrom said:

@cipher said:

See, Signal, FSF, etc.

Ladar is a fellow Texan with the strongest record of email privacy in practice, after going head to head with one of the most powerful governments that attempted to ruin him for hosting Snowden. He’s a really great guy, an inspiration to the rest of us.

• @hyperblast said:

@cipher said:

@hyperblast said:

i would never ever go with them. its not about that they are just into privacy and green energy, they do also hosting and give radical left wing german organisations a haven. moreover the company behind call themselves as a political provider. in my point of view they are not unbiased.

That sounds pretty scary!

Just wondering about the evidence ...

• @jar said:

@cipher said:

@angstrom said:

@cipher said:

See, Signal, FSF, etc.

Ladar is a fellow Texan with the strongest record of email privacy in practice, after going head to head with one of the most powerful governments that attempted to ruin him for hosting Snowden. He’s a really great guy, an inspiration to the rest of us.

Like I said (added) above, no question that there are Americans who take privacy very seriously.

• CrossBoxCrossBox Member, Patron Provider

@cipher said:
    @jar @TimboJones There already exists good providers that don't ask for an alternate email viz. Tutanota, Mailbox, Protonmail, Lavabit, PRQ, if you want an email address. You should not be asking for an email being an email provider esp. when a client is paying and has his own domain name.

Don't tell me there don't exist providers that don't provider emails without asking for an email.

You are an email provider! Did you forget? Or still remember? If I had an email why would I come to you? :dizzy:

That is not entirely correct because they require you to open something@protonmail/tutanota.com before you can mount your custom domain, which in effect is the "alternate" email you are trying so hard to avoid.

Usually, there are a couple of reasons providers require you to have an already working e-mail address even though you are ordering email hosting:

• you receive invoices there
    • it doesn't make sense to send anything to an email address which may be suspended (because of abuse, having an overdue invoice, etc) and which you can't access.
    • it can be used to recover access in case you forget the password
    • it is used as an identifier when you contact support
    • if you're having technical issues with your email hosting you may not be able to use it to contact support
    • your domain may expire and there won't be an easy way to prove your identity to the provider
  • @hyperblast said:

Better than radical right wing scene, though.

Thanked by 1xbronx
  • not better. left and right wing scene are bullcrap.

CrossBox said: That is not entirely correct

Agreed, but they themselves are providing one for gratis. I am not so against asking for email or XMPP address any more.

But phone number and name, full address.

The other day I was commenting on a fellow Indian's thread here on LET, who is being harassed for buying a .ovh domain name. He had to send all the IDs including SSN version of India which OVH has no business asking.

Over all, all these things, do not stop spammers, as people who know would get a domain even without giving an email, completely anonymously.

Anyways. In near future, I would like to present something like Migadu to the community.

Mxroute is a lovely service too. I am inspired by it as well. I will read about Crossbox now.