Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GTT vs Telstra vs PCCW - better network provider in Singapore
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GTT vs Telstra vs PCCW - better network provider in Singapore

elos42elos42 Member
edited January 2019 in Providers

Hi,
I have to choose between three hosts that seem to use different upstream network providers, and are otherwise similar in all respects, including cost, specs etc.

For the target market I care about, they use:

1) Telstra (from Singapore)
2) GTT (from Singapore)
3) PCCW (from Singapore).

Are there any clear preferences among these? From Googling, it looks like GTT is probably the best of the three?

Comments

• Hi,

To help w

Thanked by 1eol
  • Fairly certain Telstra routes most traffic back through Australia.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • PCCW

• +1 for PCCW especially if u r talking about regional and china

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@dahartigan said:
    Hi,

To help w

Seems like the packet dropped when you are posting this comment. Mind sharing which upstream you are using out of the 3 listed above?

• dedimarkdedimark Member
    edited January 2019

PCCW, if China for you important :smile:

• @FAT32 said:

@dahartigan said:
    Hi,

To help w

Seems like the packet dropped when you are posting this comment. Mind sharing which upstream you are using out of the 3 listed above?

Tels

• @dahartigan said:

@FAT32 said:

@dahartigan said:
    Hi,

To help w

Tels

Blooody droppacket bears got 'em.

Thanked by 2dahartigan NanoG6
  • 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

Definitely PCCW

• Seems like @dahartigan transmitting packets using UDP

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • @NanoG6 said:
    Seems like @dahartigan transmitting packets using UDP

Using my premium Te#%@?/&@%%NO CARRIER

Thanked by 2eol hostdare
  • China not important. US, UK and India important.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

PCCW. It should be the most expensive option, so if you're getting it at similar price to GTT and Telstra, either it's a steal, or the other 2 are overpriced.

• @elos42 said:
    China not important. US, UK and India important.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • I'm not very familiar with routing, but wouldn't this also mean that the ISPs of my customers are more likely to have peering/connections with GTT because it's cheaper?
    Therefore, wouldn't the path be 'straighter' via GTT?

@randvegeta said:
    PCCW. It should be the most expensive option, so if you're getting it at similar price to GTT and Telstra, either it's a steal, or the other 2 are overpriced.

• GTHostGTHost Member, Patron Provider
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@elos42 said:
    I'm not very familiar with routing, but wouldn't this also mean that the ISPs of my customers are more likely to have peering/connections with GTT because it's cheaper?
    Therefore, wouldn't the path be 'straighter' via GTT?

@randvegeta said:

Well that's normally not how it works. It's often the case that some ISPs pay next to nothing, or even charge, to connect to big transit providers because they have a lot of users, which actually makes their network valuable.

Besides, the tier 1 operators peer with other for free, so they can reach the whole world. I believe both GTT and Telstra are both Tier 1, so no doubt they connect to PCCW.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

What about NTT? Might be a good middleground.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2019

GTHost said: PCCW is the best

It is the worst for EU<>SG, which is a part of what the OP asked for.

It almost looks like they do not use any direct EU to SG cable, always routing via the US.

elos42 said: US, UK and India important.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2019

In reality no single ISP will deliver you proper quality connectivity. There are always some snags. You need to multihome.

Thanked by 1pike
  • Well.. I put the site on all three. (They were multihomed, but with varying levels of priority for these). Not sure why, but I saw a slight difference in terms of load times/traffic when it was put on the GTT link. Telstra wasn't bad either, even though the route didn't seem so great judging from pings. But overall, for my visitors, the one that gave higher priority to GTT seemed best. Of course, for some locations, the same guy was giving NTT etc.. But for the US, it was GTT.

• @elos42 said:
    Hi,
    I have to choose between three hosts that seem to use different upstream network providers, and are otherwise similar in all respects, including cost, specs etc.

For the target market I care about, they use:

1) Telstra (from Singapore)
    2) GTT (from Singapore)
    3) PCCW (from Singapore).

Are there any clear preferences among these? From Googling, it looks like GTT is probably the best of the three?

this is what we do for living.

We recommend Telstra and PCCW over GTT. GTT has no decent peering in Asia. Other good network is NTT.

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

PCCW is pretty solid from testing we have done in the past, I would need to run more tests however to see what the best option would be as it's been a few years.

• Telstra is still the most premium^^^^^^⊙¤©ωNO CARRIER

Thanked by 1eol
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Anyone tested Telstra on IPv6? I've found them in Australia to have horrible IPv6 - is it the same for Singapore?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

SplitIce said: Anyone tested Telstra on IPv6? I've found them in Australia to have horrible IPv6 - is it the same for Singapore?

Telstra are fucked in the head completely, their route from Europe to Hong Kong goes via Australia, so I wouldn't hope on them having proper routing anywhere.

• Optus are banging Telstra from post to pillar, If you still think Telstra is better you havent been out and about in the last year.