Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down for DDOS is not included in uptime guarantee?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Down for DDOS is not included in uptime guarantee?

liujasonliujason Member
edited January 2019 in General

EDIT2: Recovered about 6 hours after I contact the support. Still, I think it is a good deal for websites hosting.

EDIT: I think it may be not a DDOS attack since the server is accessible with ssh and HTML pages are all good all the time, only the Mysql and PHP services are not available.

I bought a NameCheap shared hosting with $26.44 (50% off) yesterday and deployed my sites in it. When I wake up in the morning, the sites are not working. So I start a live chat (Good in service) and was told there is a DDOS attack against the server, of cause my sites are not the target, it's just a blog and some APIs for research that nobody knows.

And there is a 100% uptime guarantee in their hosting description so I asked about it. There turns out to be some limitation on 100%:

Any Service interruption deriving from failure or deficiency of Namecheap infrastructure and equipment may not be eligible if caused or associated with such things as but not limited to:

DDoS or similar attacks on Our servers.

third-party software failure.

You maxing Your resource container.

issues resulting from errors or omissions by You.

interruptions caused by You from custom scripting, coding or the installation of third-party applications.

network conditions across the internet (outside of our network), such as between Your ISP and Our data center.

firewall blocks/bans.

browser or DNS caching issues.

outages related to the reliability of certain programming environments.

any other circumstances beyond our control or that are not reasonably foreseeable.

any act of God or force majeur which results in the failure of the service.

Not looking at the terms is my problem, I just feel a little unhappy because I can't use it the next day after purchasing the service. It has been down for hours and doesn't know when will recover.

Thanked by 2eol uptime

Comments

• eoleol Member
    edited January 2019

@liujason said:

any act of God

LOL.

EDIT2:

• another provider cowering behind the almighty TOS. There is no such a thing as uptime guarantee. They can fail to provide you the guarantee, they will just compensate you with credit or additional uptime.

That's just how proviider works.

• @yokowasis said:
    another provider cowering behind the almighty TOS. There is no such a thing as uptime guarantee. They can fail to provide you the guarantee, they will just compensate you with credit or additional uptime.

That's just how proviider works.

But at least I have received Virmach credits for the server downtime, not because of DDOS though.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

When your flight is delayed because of fog at the destination you also don't get compensation. Just saying.

• The problem you have you picked a provider that has no DDOS protection, or it is very limited. Their uptime guarantee probably only covers equipment failure. If they had decent protection this would not have happened.

My advice do not use a register for hosting. find some one who has decent protection, and you will be a lot happier.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Clouvider said:
    When your flight is delayed because of fog at the destination you also don't get compensation. Just saying.

In my country, we did. 1 hour late = 1 bread.

Thanked by 2uptime eol
  • HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

As many others have said, picking a provider with some form of DDoS protection would greatly help prevent this. Shocked that NameCheap hasn't got a better system to re-route the attacking traffic, even if it was just an on demand service not always on protection.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@HostMedia said:
    As many others have said, picking a provider with some form of DDoS protection would greatly help prevent this. Shocked that NameCheap hasn't got a better system to re-route the attacking traffic, even if it was just an on demand service not always on protection.

They probably do. The attacked IP is probably shared. Attack I guess would go over SSL, and that’s where the problem might start if it passes ACL and requires APP level assistance.
    Or a completely different thing.

All I’m saying is that it’s too early to say.

• @Clouvider said:

@HostMedia said:

They probably do. The attacked IP is probably shared. Attack I guess would go over SSL, and that’s where the problem might start if it passes ACL and requires APP level assistance.

Still no response for my ticket, I'm a little worried about my data now. It took me more than 12 hours to transmit and import to the database.

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

@Clouvider said:

@HostMedia said:

Fair point indeed :smile:

@liujason said:

@Clouvider said:

@HostMedia said:

Still no response for my ticket, I'm a little worried about my data now. It took me more than 12 hours to transmit and import to the database.

Have you tried calling any of their support lines or tweeting them? Normally a public tweet gets support moving a little quicker!

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

DDOS is like a Force Majeure

• Although I'm gonna move away from Siteground due to higher renewal costs I have to say it has something to it being able to call customer support via phone line 24/7 and get your issues taken care of right away. They certainly are on the more expensive side but my problems have always been dealt with quickly no matter if it was already solved on the phone/live chat or escalated to the respective department. I've considered Namecheap for shared hosting for a while and I also like them as a registrar and the fact they offer live chat. However I always thought there was some reason to why they were not praised so much for their shared hosting.
    Although DDoS is third party involved communication is key.