Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SG to US/EU ping question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SG to US/EU ping question

I was just wondering if anyone can get a ping below 100ms from SG to US/EU? Most probably the average ping is 200-300ms. I love how competitive the price of vps/dedi in the US/EU compared to SEA however, it really doesn't matter much if you have a top box with powerful processors, maximum rams, equipped with 1-10Gbps port but the when you connect to it via ssh for example even typing "sudo" will give you that slight xxx ms delay.

I don't know you tell me, is it possible that some providers can optimize this connection? I really want to get some boxes from outside of SG to play with but always end up with 1GB ram vps that can outperform the speed of those beasts "locally"...

How? Any idea? It depends???

Comments

• @sudoranger said:
    I was just wondering if anyone can get a ping below 100ms from SG to US/EU? Most probably the average ping is 200-300ms. I love how competitive the price of vps/dedi in the US/EU compared to SEA however, it really doesn't matter much if you have a top box with powerful processors, maximum rams, equipped with 1-10Gbps port but the when you connect to it via ssh for example even typing "sudo" will give you that slight xxx ms delay.

I don't know you tell me, is it possible that some providers can optimize this connection? I really want to get some boxes from outside of SG to play with but always end up with 1GB ram vps that can outperform the speed of those beasts "locally"...

How? Any idea? It depends???

SG to US west coast will be less than 180ms, US east coast/Canada will be around 250 ms.
    SG to Frankfurt will be less than 180 ms.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Chuck your IP over via PM and I’ll tell you what’s the best we can get it down to.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

chocolateshirt said: SG to Frankfurt will be less than 180 ms.

I average 180 ms from EU (multiple providers) to SG (multiple providers), but YMMV I guess

sudoranger said: It depends???

That's it

sudoranger said: it really doesn't matter much if you have a top box with powerful processors, maximum rams, equipped with 1-10Gbps port but the when you connect to it via ssh for example even typing "sudo" will give you that slight xxx ms delay

If ssh latency is that important (?), I'd suggest to give a look at mosh (if you didn't already). It has some downsides and it needs some adjustments, yet I found it useful on really slow and/or unstable links

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2019

sudoranger said: I was just wondering if anyone can get a ping below 100ms from SG to US/EU?

RETN shows the lowest they have 132ms between Singapore and Marseille. But Marseille is probably not the end destination where you want to reach in Europe, so the total will be more. Typical is 150-160 ms or so to where the actual EU DCs are.

Other ISPs use the same EU-SG sea cable so it will be the same or very similar.

But sure, if you draw a perfectly straight line ("as crow flies") from SG to EU, then it's 10300 km to Frankfurt, and it would have a ping of 80ms:

But there is no cable laid like that, and the territories in question (India, Pakistan, Turkmenistan, Afganistan, Kazakhstan, East Ukraine) are such that it's unlikely one will be deployed any time soon.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt