Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H motherboard for home server build
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H motherboard for home server build

earlearl Member
edited October 2013 in General

Thinking about building a server just for playing around with virtualization and saw this board which looks like a good deal with all the specs that it comes with.. anyone ever used this board?

The only con I can see is that it's FM2 socket, so does not seem to have support for higher end CPU like the AM3+ sockets do.. but it's just for home use.

currently it's on sale with a mail in rebate, it comes to around $63..

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4383#sp

APU FM2 Socket:

AMD A series processors
AMD Athlon™ series processors

Chipset

AMD A85X

Memory

4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 64 GB of system memory
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 2400(OC)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules
Support for AMD Memory Profile (AMP)/ Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

Onboard Graphics

APU with integrated AMD Radeon™ HD 8000/7000 series graphics:

1 x D-Sub port
1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 2560x1600
1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200

Audio

Realtek ALC887 codec
High Definition Audio
2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
Support for S/PDIF Out

LAN

Realtek GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)

Expansion Slots

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
1 x PCI Express x1 slot
(All PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
1 x PCI slot

Multi-Graphics Technology

Support for AMD CrossFire™ technology
Support for AMD Dual Graphics technology
* Only A series APUs support AMD Dual Graphics. 

Storage Interface Chipset:

8 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors supporting up to 8 SATA 6Gb/s devices
Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, and JBOD

USB Chipset:

Up to 4 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)
Up to 8 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)

Internal I/O Connectors

1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
8 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
1 x APU fan header
2 x system fan headers
1 x front panel header
1 x front panel audio header
1 x S/PDIF Out header
1 x USB 3.0/2.0 header
2 x USB 2.0/1.1 headers
1 x serial port header
1 x parallel port header
1 x Clear CMOS jumper
1 x Trusted Platform Module (TPM) header

Back Panel Connectors

1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse port
1 x D-Sub port
1 x DVI-D port
1 x optical S/PDIF Out connector
1 x HDMI port
2 x USB 3.0/2.0 ports
4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports
1 x RJ-45 port
3 x audio jacks (Line In/Line Out/Microphone)

I/O Controller

iTE I/O Controller Chip

H/W Monitoring

System voltage detection
APU/System temperature detection
APU/System fan speed detection
APU overheating warning
APU/System fan fail warning
APU/System fan speed control
* Whether the APU/system fan speed control function is supported will depend on the APU/system cooler you install. 

BIOS

2 x 64 Mbit flash
Use of licensed AMI EFI BIOS
Support for DualBIOS™
PnP 1.0a, DMI 2.0, SM BIOS 2.6, ACPI 2.0a

Unique Features

Support for @BIOS
Support for Q-Flash
Support for Xpress Install
Support for EasyTune
* Available functions in EasyTune may differ by motherboard model.
Support for Smart Recovery 2
Support for Auto Green
Support for ON/OFF Charge
Support for 3TB+ Unlock
Support for Q-Share

Form Factor

Micro ATX Form Factor; 24.4cm x 24.4cm

Anyhow.. interested in your opinions.

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

I wonder do you really want to lock yourself into the obscure and limiting FM2 socket.

Get an AM3+ board instead (from Gigabyte is more than fine), with onboard video if you must, it can fit CPUs from single-core Sempron to 8-core FX-8350. Buy any AM3 CPU that fits the budget today, can easily upgrade to top of the line later.

Thanked by 1earl
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Or if you're looking for something cheap and simple with no real upgrade plans, you can get an E350N board:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=17&p=2&v=25
    $74 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128597
    Dual core 1.6 GHz, supports virtualization too.

• @rm_ said:
    I wonder do you really want to lock yourself into the obscure and limiting FM2 socket.

Get an AM3+ board instead (from Gigabyte is more than fine), with onboard video if you must, it can fit CPUs from single-core Sempron to 8-core FX-8350. Buy any AM3 CPU that fits the budget today, can easily upgrade to top of the line later.

yeah I was thinking that but the AM3+ are pricier and most only have 4 x SATA 3, or lower specs anyhow.. for messing about, the FM2 CPU should be plenty, was looking at the AMD A8 6500, they go for about $115, with a passmark of 4471.. not too bad I think.

• I got a similar board (may be the exact same model) for my home NAS, I got one of the baby FM2's but then upgraded to the quad core model... Its snappy!

But, I do only use that system for NAS and HTPC use.

Thanked by 1earl
  • @rm_ said:
    Or if you're looking for something cheap and simple with no real upgrade plans, you can get an E350N board:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=17&p=2&v=25
    $74 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128597
    Dual core 1.6 GHz, supports virtualization too.

That's a really good deal!!

I really like the all in one board and would make a great HTPC, but I already bought something similar to an atom like CPU.. I got a zotac vd01 so I was looking for something with little more power

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

@wych said:
    I got a similar board (may be the exact same model) for my home NAS, I got one of the baby FM2's but then upgraded to the quad core model... Its snappy!

But, I do only use that system for NAS and HTPC use.

Well I just like the fact that the board comes with 8 SATA 3 ports so if it comes time the CPU is too slow I can always use it as a file server,

Actually I use to prefer intel for server CPU.. but I just found out that with AMD you can do Nested virtualization, which I believe is crippled on the intel CPU.. so technically with AMD you can install proxmox in proxmox and create a KVM VM inside the nested proxmox..

• I've had this exact board in use since March 6, 2013 with no issues whatsoever, I quite like it.

If you do decide to go with an E-350-powered board, DON'T get an Asus board. I had such continuous problems with mine that I ended up selling it off on ebay.

Thanked by 1earl
  • @Damian said:
    I've had this exact board in use since March 6, 2013 with no issues whatsoever, I quite like it.

If you do decide to go with an E-350-powered board, DON'T get an Asus board. I had such continuous problems with mine that I ended up selling it off on ebay.

Yeah I quite agree, I've had nothing but problems with Asus boards.. especially those older boards with the nvidea chipsets..

• @rm_

the GA-E350N you showed me is a really neat board, it can take up to 16 GB of DDR3 1333 ram!!

Looking at the open compute project I wonder why providers don't follow this route, similar to OVH and facebook etc..

so @ $74 for the board + CPU, $30 for a PS, $40 for 4GB Ram, $50 for 1TB drive total $194 complete.. I'm sure they can get their ROI in 1-2 yrs maybe at $20-$30/mo rental?

• doughnetdoughnet Member
    edited October 2013

@earl said:
    I really like the all in one board and would make a great HTPC, but I already bought something similar to an atom like CPU.. I got a zotac vd01 so I was looking for something with little more power!

the zotacs are so underpowered.

i definitely recommend going with an AMD3+ board. Best bang for buck if you can get an FX-8150 or FX-8350 (this what im using). They roar in speed and power with a good price tag. I got myself a motherboard & cpu for $200 out the door @ Fry's Electronics.

Thanked by 1earl
  • Ah Fry's. 'tis a dangerous place! I spent $600 there recently for a home networkign project. Originally only intended to spend about $300.

• @doughnet said:
    i definitely recommend going with an AMD3+ board. Best bang for buck if you can get an FX-8150 or FX-8350 (this what im using). They roar in speed and power with a good price tag. I got myself a motherboard & cpu for $200 out the door @ Fry's Electronics.

I read somewhere that with the way AMD is going they might phase out the AM3+ in favor of the APU, not sure how true that is.

• @Magiobiwan said:
    Ah Fry's. 'tis a dangerous place! I spent $600 there recently for a home networkign project. Originally only intended to spend about $300.

That's not so bad.. I tallied my bill for last month, it seem I spent close to $300 just for services I purchased online.. servers/domains etc.. nothing physical to show for it lol..

• This looks pretty good as well..

GIGABYTE GA-C1007UN-D

Foxconn D70S-P