Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for storage offer like virmach
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

looking for storage offer like virmach

dedicadosdedicados Member
edited January 2019 in Requests

Hello, i am looking something similar to:

STORAGE-4T

4GB MEMORY [?]
2 CPU vCORE [?]
4TB STORAGE [?]
40TB @10GBPS  <- at least 1Gbps (i know is shared)
1 DEDICATED IP
ROOT ACCESS [?]

$28.00 / mo or little more

looking for USA location

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Could you do $35/m?

Francisco

• Francisco said: Could you do $35/m?

i see, a 4gb slice + 4tb storage.

i already purchased one yesterday to start testing, if works, maybe i will grab some.

can storage be upgraded without deleting files?

dedicados said: can storage be upgraded without deleting files?

Yup, no problem.

Make sure to format using GPT that way you can grow to larger drives w/o issues.

Francisco

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @Francisco said:

Yup, no problem.

Make sure to format using GPT that way you can grow to larger drives w/o issues.

Francisco

Does anyone have a 4TB+ MBR? Does it actually work!?

@Letzien said:

@Francisco said:

Yup, no problem.

Francisco

Hey man, people are determined to break things.

Francisco

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2019

@Francisco said:

Yup, no problem.

Francisco

AFAIK, some file systems (like ZFS) can take an entire disk too, rather than using partitioning, and they have their own mechanisms for extending the disk. Although I'm not actually sure if it's a good idea (ref https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/zfs-whole-disk-vs-gpt-slice.62855/)

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2019

Another option: Wishosting @exception0x876 has 1.8 TB storage in Canada for $8.99 monthly if you pay quarterly. Only 500 Mb/s network though, not 1 Gb/s. Maybe they could do a special deal for 4 TB?

Thanked by 1exception0x876

@Daniel15 said:

@Francisco said:

Yup, no problem.

Francisco

AFAIK, some file systems (like ZFS) can take an entire disk too, rather than using partitioning, and they have their own mechanisms for extending the disk. Although I'm not actually sure if it's a good idea (ref https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/zfs-whole-disk-vs-gpt-slice.62855/)

For sure :)

Lets not talk about the customers that just format /dev/sda directly.

Monsters.

Francisco

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

What about LVM?

@CloudxtnyHost said:
    What about LVM?

Good, but I still prefer a partition on there. Just to make sure there's no alignment issues.

Francisco

• eoleol Member

@CloudxtnyHost said:
    What about LVM?

Welcome back.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

@CloudxtnyHost said:
    What about LVM?

Good, but I still prefer a partition on there. Just to make sure there's no alignment issues.

Francisco

That's interesting. I was thought the safes way to grow the underlying disk was to use LVM. What does formating with GPT give you?

• Just a question why don't you use Virmach. There 4TB plan is in stock at the moment.
    https://billing.virmach.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=158

• @Francisco said:

Wait, I wasn't supposed to do that?

@ahnlak said:

@Francisco said:

Wait, I wasn't supposed to do that?

It's fine, we're just giving you a hard time.

Be sure to wear your helmet.

Francisco

• @TheRealDeal said:
    Just a question why don't you use Virmach. There 4TB plan is in stock at the moment.

Because no IPv6? :wink:

• Indeed this is a very big issue. Well in any case @Francisco is the way to go. Even if it is a bit more expensive.

You get what you pay for!

Thanked by 1uxtvdl
  • eoleol Member

@TheRealDeal said:

Not always.

Thanked by 2uptime uxtvdl
  • I suppose look at HiFormance😂

Thanked by 1eol
  • eoleol Member

@TheRealDeal said:
    I suppose look at HiFormance😂

Or GreenValueHost.

• @angstrom said:

@TheRealDeal said:
    Just a question why don't you use Virmach. There 4TB plan is in stock at the moment.

Because no IPv6? :wink:

TunnelBroker works fine on their KVMs. Running one (against my will) for a backup NS. The price makes it worthwhile.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2019

The extra $7 or whatever for BuyVM slice + slab does buy some semi-dedicated CPU (and I'm guessing better i/o performance).

While Virmach usually does have an option to pay for higher level of CPU use, I'm not sure if this would provide comparable performance if it is even offered on their storage product. That said, performance I've seen (on a discounted post BF storage deal) has been sufficient for storage duty (scp transfer, writing to LUKS encrypted partition) so can be a decent low-cost option if you don't expect to need more than that.

I recommend checking with CrownCloud - they offer KVM storage deals in Los Angeles (and Frankfurt) at $7 / TB / month (with additional discount for 6 month payment). There is an option to increase RAM beyond 512MB up to 2 GB - which could add up to $3 per month. Really excellent disk i/o and network has been solid every time I've done a big transfer. Another good example of getting what you pay for (and then some, I think). Not sure if @SpeedBus might be willing to combine multiple 1 TB to provide the requested 4 TB as a single KVM (maybe stacking RAM and CPU too, that would be sweet!)

I've also found HostHatch storage to be performant and reliable - though normally a bit outside of requested price range except during occasional deals - may be worth checking with @Abdullah for possibility of 4 TB storage deal in Los Angeles (if that works for requested USA location).

I haven't used ultravps.eu storage (offered in LA and elsewhere) but if I remember correctly they may have an offer for 2 TB in that general price range (maybe with 6 month payment?) - worth checking out as well if making a short list of reliable providers with good prices.

I'm probably leaving out at least a couple other good possibilities for storage in the USA - for example not sure what price subnetlabs (aka impactVPS aka @Awmusic12635) would quote for a 4 TB deal, but I've been happy with a 150 GB storage KVM in Seattle from them.

EDIT2: tagged @exception0x876 by accident. Sorry! (but maybe they've got a good storage offer in US location as well?)

Thanked by 2eol SpeedBus
  • msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited January 2019

@Letzien said:

For 512-byte-sector drives, maximum partition size is about 2TiB. Yes you can have a 4TiB MBR, just that single partition cannot exceed 2TiB and all partitions must have start sector less than first 2TiB. (Makes 2TiB+2TiB the best possible scenario you could get from MBR.)

I do have an old server (BIOS only) running Windows 10 on MBR with a 3TB drive.

For 4TiB+ 512n drive, it's impossible to fully use the space.

PS: I love using sda directly. Much easier to reuse / examine the disk (partition) from the host server.

Thanked by 2uptime Letzien
  • eoleol Member

Afaik a MSDOS partition table is limited to 2TB.
    If you use a GPT partition table >2TB should be no problem.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

uptime said: Not sure if @SpeedBus might be willing to combine multiple 1 TB to provide the requested 4 TB as a single KVM (maybe stacking RAM and CPU too, that would be sweet!)

Thank you for the mention. This is perfectly alright by us and possible via a support ticket. The only catch is, we wouldn't be able to downgrade the VM once it's stacked up :)

Thanked by 2uptime uxtvdl
  • @SpeedBus said:

uptime said: Not sure if @SpeedBus might be willing to combine multiple 1 TB to provide the requested 4 TB as a single KVM (maybe stacking RAM and CPU too, that would be sweet!)

Thank you for the mention. This is perfectly alright by us and possible via a support ticket. The only catch is, we wouldn't be able to downgrade the VM once it's stacked up :)

payment methods and monthly payments ?

@uxtvdl said:

@SpeedBus said:

PayPal, Crypto (Bitcoin and a load of others via CoinPayments) and yes, monthly payments are fine :)

Thanked by 1uxtvdl
  • @SpeedBus said:

@uxtvdl said:

@SpeedBus said:

PayPal, Crypto (Bitcoin and a load of others via CoinPayments) and yes, monthly payments are fine :)

KVM Special-Storage 1
    Amsterdam Available ?

edited January 2019

@uxtvdl said:

@SpeedBus said:

@uxtvdl said:

@SpeedBus said:

KVM Special-Storage 1
    Amsterdam Available ?

Sorry, not available in Amsterdam. But we've got it in Frankfurt, Germany and Los Angeles :smile:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/154889/crowncloud-1000-gb-hdd-kvm-storage-at-frankfurt-los-angeles-7-month-more

• @uptime said:

The extra $7 or whatever for BuyVM slice + slab does buy some semi-dedicated CPU (and I'm guessing better i/o performance).

While Virmach usually does have an option to pay for higher level of CPU use, I'm not sure if this would provide comparable performance if it is even offered on their storage product. That said, performance I've seen (on a discounted post BF storage deal) has been sufficient for storage duty (scp transfer, writing to LUKS encrypted partition) so can be a decent low-cost option if you don't expect to need more than that.

I recommend checking with CrownCloud - they offer KVM storage deals in Los Angeles (and Frankfurt) at $7 / TB / month (with additional discount for 6 month payment). There is an option to increase RAM beyond 512MB up to 2 GB - which could add up to $3 per month. Really excellent disk i/o and network has been solid every time I've done a big transfer. Another good example of getting what you pay for (and then some, I think). Not sure if @SpeedBus might be willing to combine multiple 1 TB to provide the requested 4 TB as a single KVM (maybe stacking RAM and CPU too, that would be sweet!)

I've also found HostHatch storage to be performant and reliable - though normally a bit outside of requested price range except during occasional deals - may be worth checking with @Abdullah for possibility of 4 TB storage deal in Los Angeles (if that works for requested USA location).

I haven't used ultravps.eu storage (offered in LA and elsewhere) but if I remember correctly they may have an offer for 2 TB in that general price range (maybe with 6 month payment?) - worth checking out as well if making a short list of reliable providers with good prices.

I'm probably leaving out at least a couple other good possibilities for storage in the USA - for example not sure what price subnetlabs (aka impactVPS aka @Awmusic12635) would quote for a 4 TB deal, but I've been happy with a 150 GB storage KVM in Seattle from them.

EDIT2: tagged @exception0x876 by accident. Sorry! (but maybe they've got a good storage offer in US location as well?)

The storage150 promo is by far one of the better deals. Especially if you added double credit during Black Friday promos.

But even with 50% off, I don't think their larger storage packages are price competitive.

Thanked by 1uptime